Kit kat update charging issue red X

ws6.baker

May 15, 2010
Visit site
I just updated to kit kat and all was good until I plugged in my car charger. I have a griffin dual usb charger and samsung cable thathas always worked fine. Now when I plug it in I get a red X on the battery and when I unplug it it takes about 20 seconds for it to say it's not charging.

Silent Patriot

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
I am also experiencing this issue. It only occurs on 2a chargers where Settings - Battery reports Charging (AC) rather than Charging (USB) like when plugged into a lower amp USB port. One interesting thing to note is that if you power the S3 off and reboot, it will report (USB) under Battery Settings, but removing and reinserting the cable after booted, it will again show (AC) and the red X reappears; I've actually noted this behavior in the past, minus the red X, as I've found it was actually losing battery power faster than it could charge while using the device for GPS navigation, so I've always looked to make sure it was reporting (AC) and getting the higher charge-rate. I don't think it's a huge issue, since the battery is still charging with the red X, and found some posts indicating that it might simply mean that the device is running off (AC) power and not requiring any input from the battery.

ws6.baker

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Ok so the s4 is 2 amp and I think the s3 is a 1.5. Is it getting too much charge with the 2? Only thing I cant figure out is it never did this prior to the kit kat update today.

ws6.baker

May 15, 2010
Visit site
2 amp s4 works fine
2 amp samsung travel charger works fine
1 amp s3 works fine
1 amp apple red x
Griffin dual usb car charger red x

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
So even with the red X the phone is still charging?
I just updated to KitKat this morning and noticed the red X in my car.
Haven't tried it in the car, but with an external battery, any other than Samsung charger, etc., it still charges.

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm thinking the Samsung charger and data cable provide a voltage sensing loop-back to the charger, assisting in the charging. Just a wag.
Since other chargers and cables may not have the function, an X is displayed.

AC App on SGS3

gfearz

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I have tried multiple auto chargers and even the Samsung cable. Red X on everything I have tried in the car. No problem with any combination of charger and cable on AC. As stated previously, the phone still charges as usual. I guess we'll have to live with it.

Posted via Android Central App

jayta98

Jun 28, 2014
Visit site
Hello everyone. Our phones are verizon's S3's. My phone and my wife's phone just got updated to the newest kitkat update and we are experiencing this red x in the battery icon with two of our 1A X5 Mobile brand chargers. The phone chargers were working fine before this update. We have another OEM samsung 750ma charger, a motorola 750ma car charger and a generic car charger, all of these work fine.

My wife's phone didn't charge overnight while showing the red X. The phone was a 26% this morning after charging all night. This sucks because we are down two home chargers now. Anyone know if I can revert back to the previous OS before kit kat? I'm sure they will come up with a fix sometime but I don't want to go get a couple of new chargers if I don't need to. Thanks.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!
Anyone know if I can revert back to the previous OS before kit kat?
I haven't seen anyone post about successfully downgrading from KitKat to Jelly Bean; there may be some information about that over on XDA though.

You could certainly try it yourself, but is it really worth all of the potential problems (up-to-and-including bricking your phone) to save $25 on a couple of new chargers?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome