Red X on Battery icon when charging

rxgadget

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Every time I put my 4.4.2 KitKat updated GS3 the battery icon had a red x on it. I have tried 4 different cables, chargers, car chargers, different amps from .5, 1, 1.3, and 2. I have even tried using 3 different external battery chargers. My big issue is not the x but it charges like molasses. I used to be able to plug the phone in my car charger and run Maps. Now I loose battery instead of gaining charge of staying the same. This leads to the second issue that Maps and Location / GPS are draining the he** out of the battery. I did a factory reset to see if it would help with this and the drag.. I have half the apps than before and very slow.

The bottom pic is before factory reset and the top is after factory reset.

habeqa5a.jpg
qahu2eju.jpg

From Tapatalk Pro on my Nexus 7 (2012)

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried charging the battery with the phone off? Does it charge at the same rate or is it faster? It might be that your battery is near the end of its useful life... If it's the original battery that came with the S3, I wouldn't be suprised. Most of my friends who got the S3 when it came out are already at 50% of whatever the battery lasted at the beginning, and replacing it has improved, so it's not their phones draining faster, it's just their batteries not being able to keep up anymore.

rxgadget

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
I tried original battery and Seidio extended brand. It seems to be a common issue with more people as I searched other forums.
The batteries do seem to charge slower. This was not an issue before the 4.4.2 update. It also is not an issue on my Nexus 7 (2012) tablet running KitKat 4.4.4. However who knows what Samsung or Verizon borked.

From Tapatalk Pro on my Nexus 7 (2012)

ColbyJvonBrown

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
OK I think this should help everyone out with this supposed problem, when its not a problem!! So search what I searched and go to the video and watch the whole video, then go to the battery pics and read what it says, but notice that even when the tablet is charging in the pic it still shows a "red x" is just like the guy said it is the amp at which the tablet or phone is charging is to low so, it is still charging but at a lower and slower rate. And if you are using the charger that came with the tablet OR (S3 this applies to it too) then clean the charging port and charger, if it still shows the x try a different charger for that device that came from another Samsung s3 or tab of the same model!!!!! Hope this helps!!:) p.s. you probably can't see the "x" in the pictures but its there in every picture.

Posted via Android Central App

Attachments

• 42550.jpg
    42550.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 134
  • 42549.jpg
    42549.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 130
  • 42548.jpg
    42548.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 134
  • 42547.jpg
    42547.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 131

rxgadget

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
After more testing and researching this and other forums.. The red x represents low charging. Some phones show this as a notification and apparently instead of words this update shows the x. This means the phone is charging just not at an decent amp. I assume the SG3 is requiring more than .5 mAh. When I try charging with 1.0 mAh or 2.1 mAh there is no x and the phone charges normal or faster (on 2.1). This all includes external batteries..

Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I was assuming you were using the original charger! Yeah, half an Amp is not even enough to power your phone with screen on and an app using GPS active.

Sent from my SM-P600 using AC Forums mobile app

rxgadget

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
From the other make post it was mentioned the x may show when charging isn't at the right charge time. Example: if phone is at 85% my red x shows. Using the same charger I get the regular lightning bolt on the battery now that I am at 50%..

Would have loved to see this notated in Samsung or Verizon's documents. But it's seems we have it solved

Joey Wigwam

May 1, 2015
Visit site
I didnt seem to find a conclusive post on this thread about this issue....is it the amps coming from the wall charger? Because ive been using the same charger all the time I had my android tablet. Or is it because the charger or device port isn't clean? seems legit, but did anybody actually resolve this issue?

col2016

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
OK I think this should help everyone out with this supposed problem, when its not a problem!! So search what I searched and go to the video and watch the whole video, then go to the battery pics and read what it says, but notice that even when the tablet is charging in the pic it still shows a "red x" is just like the guy said it is the amp at which the tablet or phone is charging is to low so, it is still charging but at a lower and slower rate. And if you are using the charger that came with the tablet OR (S3 this applies to it too) then clean the charging port and charger, if it still shows the x try a different charger for that device that came from another Samsung s3 or tab of the same model!!!!! Hope this helps!!:) p.s. you probably can't see the "x" in the pictures but its there in every picture.

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylorhudson5670