When I open text message app, browser opens to mobiscanner.org

ehgit

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Occasionally when I select Message to send a text my browser will open to a ridiculously long url that begins with mobiscanner.org. It first looks like a facebook page saying my profile has been selected as a winner. When I try to back out a message pops up that says my phone may have a virus. I back out again then a message window opens with a strange alert sound saying I need to remove the virus. AVG and Malwarebytes have detected nothing. Anyone else experienced this? How'd you get it off? My next step is to connect my phone to my laptop and run anti virus from there.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! That doesn't sound good. I'd suspect more malicious malware rather than simple adware, if tapping the shortcut for a system app (Messaging) launches a completely different app (the browser). The popup you're getting is likely a scareware ad that's trying to get you to install a "security app" that is most likely malicious itself.

Are you absolutely sure it's the stock Messaging app you're trying to open? Or are you using some 3rd party messaging app? Try removing that Messaging shortcut from your homescreen, and then put it back there again, and see if the problem persists. Or try always opening the Messaging app from the App Drawer. I'm wondering if some malware placed a shortcut on your homescreen disguised as your Messaging app.

ehgit

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
It's the system messaging app for sure. I will try removing and re-adding the shortcut. It definitely has all the trademarks of scareware.

MST3K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

richardlong

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
Don't try to click this types of pop up's, because they are always give the malicious attack on your computer. You should ignore it and always try to off internet(if there is no use of it) while working on desktop. As this types of pop up's are not registered and don't have any Trademark. So its better to keep safe. If you want some more information regarding this you can also click here.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artistnos