It's here and now I decided to pass

roadrat

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
my primary concern is HTC Sense. After watching the droid life review, this became apparent. I loved everythign about the Inc and the Inc2, but after experiencing stock android on a GN and N4, I think I'm going to go with the Moto X.

I should add that I really wanted the all metal phone.

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I hope you enjoy your X. Stock Android is awesome, however since I run a launcher anyway a lot of it is lost on me. Action Launcher replaces the app drawer and homescreens so other than icons and the menus (which aren't a big deal to me) I can run whatever interface is on the hardware I want. Just a thought.

Bm96

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
I hope you enjoy your X. Stock Android is awesome, however since I run a launcher anyway a lot of it is lost on me. Action Launcher replaces the app drawer and homescreens so other than icons and the menus (which aren't a big deal to me) I can run whatever interface is on the hardware I want. Just a thought.
I agree, I like stock android other than maybe Touchwiz UI. The HTC ONE is too good to pass up for me so I'm going to get it now :)

roadrat

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site

Great thought and one I considered, but I havent had time to learn to root yet. If I had spent that time, I probably would not want to throw my GN against the wall.

freddyttt

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
The x is a mid range phone with a flagship price. And Id be shocked if the camera were any good. Pass

Sent from my ADR6350 using AC Forums mobile app

jeverts

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
I decided to pass until I get a chance to use/see the g2 and one side by side

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

roadrat

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
The x is a mid range phone with a flagship price. And Id be shocked if the camera were any good. Pass

Sent from my ADR6350 using AC Forums mobile app

Smartphones are about the experience to me. Stock Android is ideal in my mind. While it doesn't have the specs of the One, every review was positive about the OS and App smoothness. Not sure if this will stand the test of time though. I'd much prefer a non-plastic phone, but everything is a trade off.

sandoff

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Thats the problem, we all assume specs dictate experience. Thats not true, they are ONE factor in the experience and most people make them out to be THE factor when they are not. Motorola is attempting to debunk this myth and correctly inform the public. My Droid Maxx's screen looks damn fine standing next to my *now retired* 1080p DNA. The only major difference, which I knew with AMOLDs, is the color saturation. Im a 22 yr old with very good vision and I don't notice the pixels on either phone. So for those of you who scream when your hear 720p, actually compare the screens because you will be pleasently surpised.

HighTechToid

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
FWIW, none of what he said requires rooting. You can install a free launcher and make the look and feel of your phone totally different from Sense or the stock launcher.

It's important that the OP keeps in mind that a launcher only changes the home screen and app drawer. Every other customization that's been made by the OEM's skin is still present. If they changed the notification shade and you don't like it, you're still going to see it every time you pull it down. If you hate the lockscreen...still there. If you hate the menu system, etc. that's all going to be in your face.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
It's important that the OP keeps in mind that a launcher only changes the home screen and app drawer. Every other customization that's been made by the OEM's skin is still present. If they changed the notification shade and you don't like it, you're still going to see it every time you pull it down. If you hate the lockscreen...still there. If you hate the menu system, etc. that's all going to be in your face.
The notification shade can be customized to an extent without rooting. The lock screen can definitely be customized with WidgetLocker, too.

Bm96

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
:D
DxD1LU0l.jpg

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
my primary concern is HTC Sense. After watching the droid life review, this became apparent. I loved everythign about the Inc and the Inc2, but after experiencing stock android on a GN and N4, I think I'm going to go with the Moto X.

I should add that I really wanted the all metal phone.

Nova launcher fixes this, I've used it on every phone. Plus with the bootloader being unlocked, we'll see stock Roms from the Google play edition ported.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

HighTechToid

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
The notification shade can be customized to an extent without rooting. The lock screen can definitely be customized with WidgetLocker, too.

That's true. I haven't seen any good customization's for the notification shade that worked as well as they should (at least not on the smartphones I've had). And I completely forgot about WidgetLocker. I'm not a huge fan of overly customizing the standard experience, though, as that - from my own personal experience - has led to too much ram being eaten up and performance issues. Some OEM skins react differently to a lot of those types of things so results may vary. Won't know until you test it out.

techgeek32#WN

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
Thats the problem, we all assume specs dictate experience. Thats not true, they are ONE factor in the experience and most people make them out to be THE factor when they are not. Motorola is attempting to debunk this myth and correctly inform the public. My Droid Maxx's screen looks damn fine standing next to my *now retired* 1080p DNA. The only major difference, which I knew with AMOLDs, is the color saturation. Im a 22 yr old with very good vision and I don't notice the pixels on either phone. So for those of you who scream when your hear 720p, actually compare the screens because you will be pleasently surpised.

I did compare the screens and I can certainly tell the difference between the Maxx and the HTC One. No contest. 720p should be passable to most users, especially those that haven't owned a 1080p device. The camera is absolutely worthless on the X and Maxx compared to the HTC One and S4. For people that don't care about the camera the Maxx should work for them. I found too many shortcomings with the Maxx so I returned it and picked up a One. This is truly the best all around smartphone I have owned, even better than my S4, Note 2, Maxx, Lumia 928 and Razr Maxx HD.

scott5626

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I would agree, I just picked up the One today (obviously) but so far it's the best Android experience I have had so far. That's saying a lot because I loved the Note 2.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
They definitely make a good point with launchers and lock screen customizations. None of that requires root.

I use Nova on my Galaxy S3 so get more of an Android experience (rather than Touchwiz) but Touchwiz still remains underneath....so I still have the awesome camera and somewhat cool gesture controls and split screen functionality. But my launcher/screens look nothing like Touchwiz. It's only when you do things like open the camera or the dialer that Touchwiz shows through again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech