Word of warning when buying full retail from Verizon

gdubs2013

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
For those who have yet to go buy their HTC One and want to buy it at full retail cost, DO NOT go to Verizon. I went to Verizon this morning with the full intention not to get a contract upgrade and when I told the rep that he stated that Verizon will not let anyone buy the phone without a contract upgrade. He went on saying that he doesn't know when Verizon will let people buy the phone off contract, but he feels as though it could be awhile since the iPhone is still "not allowed" to be sold without a contract either. That being said, go to Best Buy or another phone store and get it and save yourself the hassle of trying to buy directly from Verizon. Plus IMO Best Buy has a better replacement policy too, $10 a month for unlimited replacements no matter what happens compared to Verizon's $10 plan with only two replacements and limited coverage.

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
For those who have yet to go buy their HTC One and want to buy it at full retail cost, DO NOT go to Verizon. I went to Verizon this morning with the full intention not to get a contract upgrade and when I told the rep that he stated that Verizon will not let anyone buy the phone without a contract upgrade. He went on saying that he doesn't know when Verizon will let people buy the phone off contract, but he feels as though it could be awhile since the iPhone is still "not allowed" to be sold without a contract either. That being said, go to Best Buy or another phone store and get it and save yourself the hassle of trying to buy directly from Verizon. Plus IMO Best Buy has a better replacement policy too, $10 a month for unlimited replacements no matter what happens compared to Verizon's $10 plan with only two replacements and limited coverage.

He was full of crap.
Go to the WEB. You can buy it month-month on the website.
They must get an incentive to get people off unlimited.
They have a month-to-month price so they *MUST* sell it at that price.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Heck. Look at the price tag in-store. They normally show the no-contract price too.

gdubs2013

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
He was full of crap.
Go to the WEB. You can buy it month-month on the website.
They must get an incentive to get people off unlimited.
They have a month-to-month price so they *MUST* sell it at that price.

He did mention that they only way to get it at full retail directly from Verizon was on their website, but since I was already out and the cash was burning a hole in my pocket I went to Best Buy to get it. I didn't really want to get into an argument with him because I need to get back to work so I just left, but its just not worth the battle to persuade a rep to sell it when you can drive to another store that is willing to take your money just as easily to get it and avoid the stupidity that is Verizon.

alcor34

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
I live in NYC and I got my HTC One from a corporate store this morn (58 & 3). I buy flat out to keep my old plan. I had no trouble making the purchase. Best Buy is selling for nearly +100 aren't they?

cadzilla74

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
He did mention that they only way to get it at full retail directly from Verizon was on their website, but since I was already out and the cash was burning a hole in my pocket I went to Best Buy to get it. I didn't really want to get into an argument with him because I need to get back to work so I just left, but its just not worth the battle to persuade a rep to sell it when you can drive to another store that is willing to take your money just as easily to get it and avoid the stupidity that is Verizon.

I understand you didn't have a lot of time to kill but I would have asked for the store manager immediately. Bait and Switch is against the law. Verizon really needs to keep an eye on some of the nonsense their CSRs are spewing.

puch96

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

This happened to me when I got mine off contract at a Sprint store. The first store I went to the sales guy said that I could not buy the phone without a plan even if I pay full price...
Then I called Sprint, and they told me that that is not the case, and they asked me what store was doing this.... I then went to another store, and I bought mine full price (no contract) with no issues .... (the sales guy was trying to get me to add a line, but I said no thanks. Just the phone please.).

wythme2

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I went to a Verizon Corporate Store this morning. Bought my phone full retail, no problem. Set it up on the device payment plan, and 30 minutes later walked out with my activated phone.

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I just bought mine full price and made sure they didn't renew my contract. In fact, she specifically asked me whether this would now being going month-to-month and I said yes. She also confirmed that I was not losing my unlimited data. They were entirely "on-board" with what I wanted and made sure it happened.

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I'll give you the correct answer, Reps don't make any money off full retail and it actually hurts there numbers. So he simply didn't want to do it. Next time, go in and if he gives you a hard time ask for a manager.

Reps don't get incentives for pulling people of unlimited. The rep was just lazy.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 4

zxphenomenalxz

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Guaranteed if you went in there bought the phone full retail and said you wanted accessories that valued 100$ they would have no problem doing it.

As a fun experiment OP should go back , get HTC one and pick out 100$ worth of accessories and once they start ringing things up say you changed your mind on accessories. At that point they can't say well we can't sell you phone now .

Posted via Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I went to a Verizon Corporate Store this morning. Bought my phone full retail, no problem. Set it up on the device payment plan, and 30 minutes later walked out with my activated phone.

You contradict yourself... You bought it full retail.... But yet did a device payment plan? That is NOT full retail. What he means by full retail is what I did... Walk in and drop 100% of the phone cost so you fully own the phone.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

wythme2

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
You contradict yourself... You bought it full retail.... But yet did a device payment plan? That is NOT full retail. What he means by full retail is what I did... Walk in and drop 100% of the phone cost so you fully own the phone.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

Not a contradiction...I paid full price. 599.99 no contract, kept my unlimited data.. The difference, you dropped 599. 99 all at once, I'm doing it over time.

Last edited:

Mr Bigs

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Not a contradiction...I paid full price. 599.99 no contract, kept my unlimited minutes. The difference, you dropped 599. 99 all at once, I'm doing it over time.

How does this work is it their new lease like plan?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

wythme2

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
How does this work is it their new lease like plan?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

No that does not start until Aug 25 and from my understanding, it will only be if your on a share everything plan.. I may be wrong about that, but it what I've heard. The Device payment plan gives you 12 months to pay off a phone or a tablet that is over 349.00. Again from my understanding it is only available at corporate stores.

sheba510

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
No that does not start until Aug 25 and from my understanding, it will only be if your on a share everything plan.. I may be wrong about that, but it what I've heard. The Device payment plan gives you 12 months to pay off a phone or a tablet that is over 349.00. Again from my understanding it is only available at corporate stores.

I might drop in the local corporate store tonight and see if I can get a HTC One on device payment plan to save my unlimited data plan.

Bm96

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
I got my HTC One with out a contract price.

When dealing with the employees you have to question everything they say... Eventually I got to buy the phone not at the $599 (it goes up to $650 from upgrade fee and taxes) price tag but only around $360 with a bundled microphone and car charger. It totaled to less the full off contract price, and amazingly now I have a bluetooth speaker worth $100 that I can sell, and an extra charger. :p Loving my life

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThatDude