Look over your new HTC One before you leave the store.....

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Got my One yesterday, love it!
I was one of the first three people in the store yesterday, all of us were purchasing One's....LOL.
A gal came in a little later to purchase a new Droid Maxx, she was being processed next to me. She saw the One and asked what it was so I was happy to explain. She said she did a lot research on the VZW site but had never seen the One.....I told her that there was never any info on the site about it. After a few minutes of looking at mine she went to the working floor model.....she came back and told the CSR to get her a One.
I digress....
Everything was going as planned. I watched as the CSR took the plastic film off the phone, powered it up, etc. She asked if I wanted to see it while it was setting up....Duh, of course I did!.
While admiring it I noticed what looked to be a hair or something that ran from the top of the phone to about the middle, tried wiping it off but no luck. Turned out to be a fine scratch (I could feel it with my fingernail....oh the horror!!). I mentioned it to the CSR and she said, (no, she really said this) "that's why you need to put a screen protector on as soon as possible" and continued to process my order. I told here that there was no way I was taking a scratched phone and we both knew that I had not scratched it....she gave a little "hmph", went in the back and got a new one.
I can only imagine if I would have left with the scratched phone. I am sure they would have said that I did it and that it was not a "warranty issue"...whew, glad I caught it.
I saw a post regarding a overly recessed power button, these are things that every one should check out before leaving the store.

The things I check before walking out (take it or leave it, just my 2 cents).
- Check the overall appearance
- Check the buttons, appearance and function
- Try the headphone jack
- Try the speaker
- Pop the sim tray
- Make a call, listen and ask how you sound

And remember, if anything is amiss on a new phone don't ask the forum how to fix it....just take it back, you should not have to fix or settle for something you just paid good money for.
It should work and appear as stated, nothing less.

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Agreed on looking it over. There have been a lot of inconsistencies with these devices. Mine has a gap and the top of the screen and top speaker aren't properly aligned. Not a big deal to me, but for others it's a huge problem.

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I know the guys at my local store fairly well. When I got there, waiting outside for them to open, one of them came out to my car before they opened to tell me they didn't get black in (I had been asking about it the day before) and then when I got inside they happily opened 7 of them until I found one with the buttons the way I wanted. Now THAT is customer service.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I looked really hard at a One today and I just couldn't see the build quality that so many speak of. Not even close to the build quality of the iPhone 5 IMO and I am ANAL about build quality. My S4 is not perfect either, the plastic could easily have been higher quality since they insisted on plastic. However, the build quality seems good on Sammy devices, IMO. I guess these things just can't be perfect.

Sent from my humble Note 8.0

alcor34

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
Check the camera. You have to open the app and try it in a dim location. There is a horrible purple cast that shows up. In photos too.

- - - Updated - - -

Check the camera. You have to open the app and try it in a dim location. There is a horrible purple cast that shows up. In photos too.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I inspect things pretty carefully, but there are so many things that can be wrong with HTC phones. Camera, dead pixels, button light leak, alignment, fit & finish.

The problem is things like button light leak and dead pixels are nearly impossible to see in a brightly lit store.

Bm96

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
I looked really hard at a One today and I just couldn't see the build quality that so many speak of. Not even close to the build quality of the iPhone 5 IMO and I am ANAL about build quality. My S4 is not perfect either, the plastic could easily have been higher quality since they insisted on plastic. However, the build quality seems good on Sammy devices, IMO. I guess these things just can't be perfect.

The iPhone 5 always gets scratches out of the factory, also I had dust under my camera lens on my old iPhone 5.

Air Force

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Got mine yesterday as soon as the store opened.

Coming from an iPhone I have to learn all over again. Before the iPhone I had the HTC Eris.

It's amazing what this phone will do. Saddened that Apple seems behind the power curve. Where's the BIGGER screen (not longer) Apple?!

IMG_0846_zpsce6409cc.jpg

freddyttt

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

Your not comparing the build quality of an HTC ONE and an S4 are you??

The iphones are always top notch. it's them then everyone else..... Apple makes one phone? HTC, MOTO, SAMMY put out tons of different phone a year. I think thats one reason for the lower standers-

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
The iPhone 5 always gets scratches out of the factory, also I had dust under my camera lens on my old iPhone 5.

I've purchased 3 iPhone 5's and they were all flawless...I was rather surpised. I'm sorry your experience was different. Ultimately, the iPhone was not for me but my wife and mom love theirs. IOS just needs to grow and mature, IMO.

Sent from my Note 8.0 LTE

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
HTC, MOTO, SAMMY put out tons of different phone a year. I think thats one reason for the lower standers-
This is precisely the problem. Do you realize what an enormous benefit it would be if Samsung, HTC, Motorola, LG and others only put out 1 phone a year with different variants (4.5", 5" 5.5"). They could focus on putting all of their efforts into one design and simply scale it for the different screen sizes. Instead, they allow the carriers to run them over and they produce tons of different variants, making coding, updating and development a nightmare.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Your not comparing the build quality of an HTC ONE and an S4 are you??

The iphones are always top notch. it's them then everyone else..... Apple makes one phone? HTC, MOTO, SAMMY put out tons of different phone a year. I think thats one reason for the lower standers-

Yeahp I am comparing the HTC One to the S4. I find the S4's build quality higher. In the HTC One you have 4 pieces of Al sandwiching an off-white piece of plastic and on the front the PLASTIC that holds the glass does not run as seamlessly into the 2 top pieces of aluminum. The tolerances could jave been better and the power and volume button appeared loose and uneven. I like AL a lot too but I prefer the build quality (not material quality) of the S4.

freddyttt

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Yeahp I am comparing the HTC One to the S4. I find the S4's build quality higher. In the HTC One you have 4 pieces of Al sandwiching an off-white piece of plastic and on the front the PLASTIC that holds the glass does not run as seamlessly into the 2 top pieces of aluminum. The tolerances could jave been better and the power and volume button appeared loose and uneven. I like AL a lot too but I prefer the build quality (not material quality) of the S4.

well then congratulations your one of the few that feels this way... I guess it's the ugly kid syndrome. ya know... everyone else knows that kids **** ugly except the parents-.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm just picky and anal. I'm not saying the One is a bad phone...we all know otherwise. To each their own.

Sent from my humble Note 8.0 LTE

ddsdavid

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm just picky and anal. I'm not saying the One is a bad phone...we all know otherwise. To each their own.

Sent from my humble Note 8.0 LTE

I'm with you on this. 5 replacement HTC DNA'S for me in the same time period as my 1 Sammy S4. Arguing HTC quality makes me laugh.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

freddyttt

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm with you on this. 5 replacement HTC DNA'S for me in the same time period as my 1 Sammy S4. Arguing HTC quality makes me laugh.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

Oh wait... I thought this thread was about the HTC ONE-
and it's unfortunate that you had to give up your much preferred DNA and settle for an S4....

Last edited:

Bm96

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
well then congratulations your one of the few that feels this way... I guess it's the ugly kid syndrome. ya know... everyone else knows that kids **** ugly except the parents-.
Hahahahaha where the hell did that come from LOL

@Haalcyon
I can't believe you say the S4 has a better build quality than the One................... really?

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Yes, better (or at least just as good, if not better) build quality (not build materials). I'll look at a One again this weekend and verify why I feel that way. Perhaps I was just in a weird mood when I saw them earlier. However, I think the iPhone has great build quality and many would disagree with me on that.

Sent from my humble S4

Last edited:

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
..... and that's why it's so great to have so many phone and carrier options. There is something for everyone. For the record and possibly to the dismay of some Sammy fans my One appears to be perfect with none of issues mentioned above.