Htc one verizon hotspot feature unlimited grandfathered plan

Bearnstein84

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Hello guys, I joined today in the hope to find an answer to my question:

I currently have the old plan which offers the unlimited internet for users, at the moment I do have a GS3 which allows me to use this feature for free without me paying the extra $30.00 to tether.

My question is the following, will I be able to use the hotspot feature on this phone as I currently can with the GS3?

FYI: The reason why I can use my hotspot feature it's because I rooted the phone and used a method to make it work posted this forums.

Thanks for any input on this matter

Han Solo 1

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Try Foxfi from the google play store. You don't need root for that, and it lets you tether the same as root, without having to go through Verizon's check system.

pcabe5

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
My guess is no, not without rooting the phone. Foxfi doesn't seem to be able to override security of most phones.

Han Solo 1

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
My guess is no, not without rooting the phone. Foxfi doesn't seem to be able to override security of most phones.

Are you sure about this? From what I hear, it works with all phones in USB mode and Bluetooth, and with some phones in wifi (preferred mode).

The "devices tab" on Foxfi.com is ridiculously old and not updated. But I've read here and there that it does work for the vzw One on wifi mode.

gerrya

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I just tried Foxfi on my One and it does work in WiFi mode. It just requires you to add a certificate that requires you to have a lock screen password

WickedRabbit

May 31, 2013
Visit site
I just tried Foxfi on my One and it does work in WiFi mode. It just requires you to add a certificate that requires you to have a lock screen password

Are speeds reduced when using FoxFi? I thought I remember seeing that somewhere and it's one reason I've always been hesitant about dropping the $30 unl tether plan and going solely with FoxFi. The other reason being that one day I'll end up with a phone where FoxFi doesn't work for some reason and then I no longer have the feature.

Bearnstein84

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the advice and the and the suggestion in using Foxfi, however when I tried that solution whit my GS3 it won't let me use it without launching the Verizon one and asking me to contact customer service, therefore I had to root the phone to make possible the hotspot feature. I have read in a couple of places that you can and others that isn't possible. I'd say that since it seems someone that replied to the posts has an HTC one and it's not working, is making me wanna wait until there's a solution or way to use my unlimited Internet with the hotspot

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I'd love to install the certificate, but I never get the prompt. I've read that it prompts during the setup walkthrough, but I don't have a setup walkthrough either. Just goes straight to the FoxFi menu, and it nags me if I try to activate WiFi or Bluetooth hotspots. I've uninstalled and reinstalled every combination of FoxFi, FoxFi Key, FoxFi Addon, and PDANet+ to no avail. Even done a factory reset.

Anyone remember exactly what needs to happen in order to install the certificate?

nrfitchett4

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Verizon is not allowed to block hotspot on LTE because part if the LTE spectrum they bought is public.

they can't block the hotspot from working, but they can make you pay extra for it if you are on the old plans. They are not blocking the apps, they are in the playstore, but most require root which is not available on the One for most people right now.

carseller0822

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I installed it on my VZW and it worked. The only difference I've noticed between running it on the One and on my old Nexus is that on the One I'm required to have a lockscreen password.

Gluffster

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
It's definitely not working on my One, and it's not even saying anything about a lockscreen password, installing a certificate, or anything. I did put a PIN on my phone just to be safe, but still no luck. What am I not doing?

joansin

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
I would get PDAnet and use it with a USB cord if you didn't want to root. If you want to tether without VZW knowing you'd have to use a USB tether method or root. I don't mind a USB cord because it may not fully charge your phone but it will help keep your phone charged due to the toll that tethering can have on your battery life.

tyae

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
It's definitely not working on my One, and it's not even saying anything about a lockscreen password, installing a certificate, or anything. I did put a PIN on my phone just to be safe, but still no luck. What am I not doing?

With FoxFi I had that behavior - the certificate stuff comes with PDANet+, which apparently has FoxFi built into it. I installed PDANet+, did the certificate thing (I had already selected a screenlock) and I was good to go.

R01k

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
I just tried Foxfi and it works very well. It asked me to install the certificate the first time that I opened the app. It is interesting that once tethering, Foxfi configures and uses the Mobile Hostspot utility that comes from stock. However, if you try to tether directly through it, you'll be asked to contact Verizon.

pcabe5

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Foxfi does not work on my One. Tells me to subscribe to the service and call Verizon. Haven't tried the tether.

Dan Hart

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I too am in the same situation. I have 1 click tether on my gs3 and it works great. I downloaded dead space 3 (10gb) on my pc overnight earlier this week. Has anybody used 1 click tether on their htc one? I have the phone at home and was waiting for my case and screen protectors to arrive (today) before activation.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae