I was frustrated that on the One I couldn't get rid of the notifications for available wifi networks. In every other phone, there is a setting in the advanced section of wifi settings to turn this off. But it is not on the One. So, I called and they said that Verizon opted to remove the ability to avoid these notifications. The explanation was that Verizon wanted to get you onto wifi as much as possible to keep you off of their networks. Not sure if the reasoning is right, but it is annoying that I can't get rid of it without rooting.
    08-29-2013 05:07 PM
    I don't think that's true. I have the MAXX and don't get Wi-Fi notifications. When I go into Advanced Wi-Fi settings, there are options to notify when a network is available and to show Wi-Fi status in the notification panel. Both are off by default.

If it were a Verizon thing I would think that their Droid line would have it.
    mugenlude19 and Vance14 like this.
    08-29-2013 06:39 PM
    I don't think that's true. I have the MAXX and don't get Wi-Fi notifications. When I go into Advanced Wi-Fi settings, there are options to notify when a network is available and to show Wi-Fi status in the notification panel. Both are off by default.

If it were a Verizon thing I would think that their Droid line would have it.
    Don't rule out the OP's original statement. This was the case with the S4 as well and it took a software update before you could disable it without having to use one of those "#" codes. They forced the option on the smartphone and you even have to deal with what I consider is a very annoying and space eating wi-fi notification in the notification shade that's not removable and only exists on the Verizon version. They may not be consistent in doing it on all smartphones, but they do it.
    Vance14 and April920 like this.
    08-29-2013 06:50 PM
    I've just been shutting Wi-Fi off when I'm not going to use it, it's an extra step by it works
    freddyttt, jeverts and Hgouck like this.
    08-29-2013 07:33 PM
    I've just been shutting Wi-Fi off when I'm not going to use it, it's an extra step by it works
    Same here. It's quick and easy with the two finger pull down (or a widget). I think it saves battery too because it's not always searching.
    08-29-2013 07:43 PM
    It's Verizon

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using AC Forums mobile app
    08-29-2013 08:21 PM
    Just went into a Verizon store and played with their demo version. Seems like you could get rid of the notification by just hitting the clear all button. Also, when I went into settings and unchecked some option that says notify when near wifi the notifications also disappeared. Are you saying yours isn't going away no matter what? Like it's a persistent notification?
    08-29-2013 11:51 PM
    Yes, you easily get rid of the notification, but it just comes back. Turning off the "Notify me" doesn't stop it. If it also had the other option to Notify of available WiFi networks, then that would work, it seems.

Posted via Android Central App
    08-30-2013 12:02 AM
    Yes, you easily get rid of the notification, but it just comes back. Turning off the "Notify me" doesn't stop it. If it also had the other option to Notify of available WiFi networks, then that would work, it seems.

Curious: does it come back randomly or only when you restart the phone?
    08-30-2013 12:15 AM
    Curious: does it come back randomly or only when you restart the phone?
    Randomly. Even if you're on WiFi it pops up and says "You are connected to a WiFi network". It can get pretty annoying.
    08-30-2013 12:33 AM
    Randomly. Even if you're on WiFi it pops up and says "You are connected to a WiFi network". It can get pretty annoying.
    That sucks. I'm curious, does the old code that use to work for the S3 work on the HTC One?

DIAL *#6335623#
    A menu will appear
    Select Disable WifiOffloading.
    08-30-2013 12:46 AM
    For me, it doesn't pop up, it just comes back into my notifications whenever it finds a new hotspot. Not just upon restart.

The codes don't work.

08-30-2013 01:06 AM
    Hold onto the notification in notification tray. Wait for app info to pop up. Click it. Force stop and boom its gone until you reboot phone or turn on Wi-Fi manually

08-30-2013 04:56 PM
    Hold onto the notification in notification tray. Wait for app info to pop up. Click it. Force stop and boom its gone until you reboot phone or turn on Wi-Fi manually
    Unfortunately, not only is the notification option there greyed out, tapping "Disable" does absolutely nothing. It was give you a confirmation whether you want to disable, but when you say yes, it doesn't do anything. The dialogue box goes away, but it doesn't disable.
    08-30-2013 05:11 PM
    None of my options with Wi-Fi are grayed out, and I only get notifications if I have Wi-Fi on when I go somewhere that has Wi-Fi. Yada yada yada. Meanwhile, I use Tasker to control my Wi-Fi for the most part. It turns it on when I'm home and turns it off when I leave. The thing that has me up in arms is Airplane mode. In GB Google stopped any app from turning on GPS, and when my Inc upgraded even the phone couldn't control it, so every time you turned the thing on you had to agree that it was OK for the GPS to be on even if you choose the do not notify me again option. Now they've taken Airplane mode and done the same thing. I could understand the GPS a little. I felt it should be the users choice, but allowing apps to turn on the GPS could raise privacy concerns or whatever. Airplane mode is a complete mystery to me? Unless it has something to do with turning it off. Again it should be the users choice/option/what have you. Then they wonder why do users feel the need to root their devices? Because you keep taking little things away that are actually useful. Being able to open GMaps and have the GPS turn on only makes sense. Allowing an app to turn on Airplane mode when you can't get a signal to save your battery, in a phone that you've also taken a changeable battery away, only makes sense. Next round you won't be able to turn the phone off. The power button will become the sleep button and the phone will be on 24/7 unless you allow the battery to go dead. And I'm kind of not joking.
    08-31-2013 03:51 PM
    Airplane mode is intended to turn off radios that transmit. GPS radios are receive-only. So it's not strictly necessary to turn them off.
    09-03-2013 07:57 PM
    I know I tend to get wordy, my point was just that it should be my choice to allow an app to do certain things. Like turn on the GPS. In fact I wouldn't care if they didn't allow another app to do such things if they would make it an option in GMaps. It's their app and it won't turn on the GPS by its self. Then when you do you have to accept that same thing every time. It just seems like a waste and counter initiative. As for the airplane mode regardless of its intention the fact remains that turning it on when you have no steady signal saves battery power. Period. Because I turn on airplane mode for roughly 7 hours a day I never have to worry about coming up short in the evening. My thing is why can't I choose to have an app do it for me? This is what it was like back in my Inc days.

09-03-2013 11:44 PM
    This notification is very annoying. I don't care about "available Wi Fi networks" even if they are open because I won't let all my traffic go through an unknown network. Sometimes these big execs take some pretty ***** decisions. I don't think there is any way to disable that for now.
    09-15-2013 12:47 AM
    So why not just turn off wifi until you know you're on a trusted network? Thinking that I don't understand the problem here.
    VidJunky likes this.
    09-15-2013 01:07 AM
    Yeah I haven't been able to figure that out either?
    09-15-2013 07:24 PM
    Because then you would need to turn it on too regularly.
    09-15-2013 09:12 PM
    Even if you turn it off, you will get a reminder that it is off and would you like to turn it on.

Sent from my Verizon HTC One
    09-15-2013 11:02 PM
    Maybe I'm using different apps, but the only time I seem to get a reminder that I don't have something on is if I'm using GMaps. Then it tells me to turn on GPS and Wi-Fi. Otherwise I haven't noticed any constant reminders that the Wi-Fi is off. Maybe turning if you're going to use the on/off method you also need to uncheck the remind me box. That way it doesn't think you want to be reminded and have Wi-Fi off. So your phone is sitting there thinking "you know I'm supposed to keep up on my Wi-Fi status but I can't do that if my Wi-Fi isn't on.... What to do, what to do?... I better tell someone Wi-Fi is off, so then I can begin telling someone that they aren't connected." And if you have the box unchecked it's probably thinking, "Hey whoever own this device doesn't want to be reminded when they are close to a system, and they've turned Wi-Fi off,... I probably don't have to do anything.... Until they open that GMaps app."

And really on/off is an issue. Swipe tap tap it's on/off. Or put a widget on the homescreen. You know where there is Wi-Fi and where there's not, is it really an issue?
    jeverts likes this.
    09-16-2013 07:23 AM
    It's under settings. I noticed a huge improvement in battery life by turning off the WIFI when there is no WIFI available. I think the searching for WIFI signal really eats up the battery.
    09-23-2013 08:00 PM