Anyone else suffer from dented backing? (With Pics)

BygSii

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
I've posted in the "check your HTC One before leaving the store forum" but my post got overlooked by everyone. My HTC One has the ever so slightest dent that is spherical about the size of a pencil, all up and down the back side of the phone in the alluminum to the right of the "C" on the HTC logo in the center.

I've noticed it on a HTC one unboxing video on YouTube. Anyone else have this issue on their Verizon HTC One? I watched a link to a disassembly video to see if it has a purpose for anything, and it's right where the antenna lies. My HTC One is perfect other than that. No speaker problems, no gaps in the build quality, no rattle with the vibrate on, no purple hue on the camera lens. So I don't feel like taking it back because it could be worse.

Other question, if anyone has taken one back for an exchange, how was the quality on the exchange?

Update: They let me exchange it. Here are the before and after pictures

un0rZnn.jpg

You can see to the right of the HTC logo, an indent that runs all up and down the phone about the width of a pencil. Camera doesn't do it justice.
e8Tjxhs.jpg

Note, it is really hard to try and get this on camera, but it's easy to see in real life.
TieYL0p.jpg

New HTC One, perfect

Last edited:

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Re: Anyone else suffer from the dented backing?

On my second One and neither have (had) the dent.
I would take it in, show them and ask to have it replaced provided that you find one to your liking.
Obviously if it's not a big deal to you, no harm no foul.
Personally, it would probably drive me nuts.

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

No restocking fee on defective product. Unless they try to tell you that the dent is supposed to be there.
If they do, ask if the One's without dents are then defective.

Anyway to get around the $50 restocking fee?

BygSii

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site

Update:

I took the phone back. I showed them why I was concerned about my phone and showed them the spherical imperfection on the back aluminum. The sales rep. was helpful as he did his best in understanding my issue with the phone. He had the HTC One also, so we looked at his, and he noticed that his had the same thing on the opposite side, over by the "H" on the HTC Logo, was a line all up and down on his aluminum backside. The floor demo model did not have anything wrong with it. Another associates One was also perfect. So 2 out of 4 in the store had this issue.

After talking it over with the sales rep, he determined that it could not be returned, since the phone was still useable in everyway. In my defense, I stated that I had purchased the phone outright at $600, and at that price didn't want an imperfection that huge on my expensive new phone. I didn't think I should have to pay a restocking fee either since none of the accessories were open in the box, and I felt like it was a defective phone that I was sold. He had determined that if one were to push down on the HTC One hard enough, that it would create that crease, which is probably true. But I take very good care of my phone's as I work at a Verizon inside of Wal-Mart. I worked all week so I didn't have time to bring it in right away, and I think they were trying to put the damage on me as if i caused it. I had two other representatives take a look at it, and they both said it should be no problem to exchange it.

After close to an hour of debating, I was able to look over a new HTC One, determine that this one was perfect in every way, exchanged my old one for this new one, and had my $35 fee waived.

Happy guy over here. :)

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

Way to stick to your guns on this. So many times these things are at the discretion of a salesperson. And many of them are unfortunately dinks . I always say that if you are in the right, as you were, persist until they do the right thing. Trust me this moron's life was not affected in any way over this.
Really glad to hear it worked out for you!

Update:

I took the phone back. I showed them why I was concerned about my phone and showed them the spherical imperfection on the back aluminum. The sales rep. was helpful as he did his best in understanding my issue with the phone. He had the HTC One also, so we looked at his, and he noticed that his had the same thing on the opposite side, over by the "H" on the HTC Logo, was a line all up and down on his aluminum backside. The floor demo model did not have anything wrong with it. Another associates One was also perfect. So 2 out of 4 in the store had this issue.

After talking it over with the sales rep, he determined that it could not be returned, since the phone was still useable in everyway. In my defense, I stated that I had purchased the phone outright at $600, and at that price didn't want an imperfection that huge on my expensive new phone. I didn't think I should have to pay a restocking fee either since none of the accessories were open in the box, and I felt like it was a defective phone that I was sold. He had determined that if one were to push down on the HTC One hard enough, that it would create that crease, which is probably true. But I take very good care of my phone's as I work at a Verizon inside of Wal-Mart. I worked all week so I didn't have time to bring it in right away, and I think they were trying to put the damage on me as if i caused it. I had two other representatives take a look at it, and they both said it should be no problem to exchange it.

After close to an hour of debating, I was able to look over a new HTC One, determine that this one was perfect in every way, exchanged my old one for this new one, and had my $35 fee waived.

Happy guy over here. :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante