NFC Payments? Or ... anything?

morganm00

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
So, cool, our HTC Ones have NFC built into them. What can we do with it? I was hoping maybe to make use of the seemingly increasingly popular payment options with NFC. I downloaded Google Wallet which shows as being compatible for my device, but when I run it, it says "Unfortunately, Google Wallet is not yet available for your device or mobile network." ... So, that was a waste of time. Comments online suggest that Verizon is blocking it for their ISIS payment "solution".

So I decided to look at Verizon's wanna-be-cool-but-really-kinda-sucks ISIS application. I went onto Google Play and found "ISIS Mobile Wallet (Verizon Wireless)". I thought ... 'hey, cool, maybe this will do something.' ... then the Play store told me that it was not compatible for my device. Really? I have Verizon. I have NFC. WTF?

I tried opening a text chat with Verizon to get them to explain to me why neither would install (No, I wasn't actually expecting a useful response, I was more just looking to irritate a support person, since I was irritated), and the text chat guy told me I was in the sales chat and he would transfer me to support. So he did, and then I explained my problem again, and the second rep told me that I had been transferred to sales again and that there was no text chat for support. She then kindly gave me the phone number for support, which I ignored for the moment...

So ... can anyone use NFC on the One for anything meaningful? Payments maybe? Some other cool function that I couldn't do with my old phone?

Just curious if NFC is actually going to be useful (ever) on this phone or if maybe the next phone I get in 2015 might have better odds...

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
You cannot do payments because there's no secure element on our HTC Ones. Only Sprint has it for whatever reason. Sorry to inform you of that. Other than automation which I'm sure you're aware of with NFC tags, I feel you're out of luck.

morganm00

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I decided to push the issue further with Verizon. I managed to get to level 2 support because no one in level 1 could figure out why the ISIS application was not listed as being available for the One. I was told that there would be a software push in early October that would resolve the problem with it not being seen as compatible. The person I spoke to got this after putting me on hold and talking to HTC. I asked if Google Wallet might be also supported after this software fix and got a fairly optimistic response, although that part I really doubt.

Frankly, I really don't have any joy in potentially being able to use the ISIS application, but figure I'll give it a shot if it works. Why they can't just open up NFC to any of the wallet applications is just stupid. (Yes, I know ... competitors, kickbacks, more revenue potential.)

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I don't personally trust Isis enough to give them my info. I'm not saying they're a bad company, just that I don't have any trust in them. I trust Google implicitly, but since the Isis deal is in place, they won't allow Wallet. I'm pretty good at getting wallet working on devices, but you just cannot do it on the HTC One. You cannot, it's not possible. Our Ones lack a hardware secure element that is essential to the app functioning. The only model of the HTC One to have it is the Sprint version. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I'd rather tell it straight.

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
NFC on HTC one, to me, is pointless(AT&T HTC one). I use Google Wallet all the time on my Nexus 4 when I'm using that phone.

But buying stuff with your phone can be annoying and not completely work making you take out your card. Its cool and works at a good amount of places but its not caught on enough to care about yet.

Sent from my HTC One

bearda

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I don't know much about the One or Verizon in particular, but I've been trying to get ISIS working on my T-Mobile Galaxy S4 for a while after using Google Wallet on my previous Nexus 4.

It sounds like you're missing the SIM card with the secure element built in. T-Mobile reports their HTC One is compatible with ISIS. If you're using a normal SIM card the ISIS app reports that it's not compatible and offers to uninstall. It looks like Verizon has some LTE SIMs with the NFC secure element and some without, so you might just need to replace your SIM with one with ISIS support. For T-Mobile it's obvious (the NFC SIMs have the ISIS logo on them) but for Verizon it's a little more subtle. Take a look here for pics of the differences:

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/01/17/how-to-setup-isis-mobile-wallet-on-verizon/

If you have issues getting an NFC SIM PM me. I've been in contact with ISIS trying to get a T-Mobile SIM and might be able to help you out.

morganm00

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Actually, when I was talking to Verizon 2nd level support, the woman I spoke with thought that might be the case, but checked and said that I should be all set with that ... that the standard 4G SIM that they sent out would be the correct one for NFC. I assume that's correct, but I suppose she could have made an error. I know that if I log into Verizon's customer portal there is no option to request an NFC SIM as some have commented is necessary, so I'm assuming then that maybe if you start with a regular 3G SIM, then you need to request an NFC version, but the 4G SIMs are NFC by default????

I really have no idea. She said she spoke with HTC and that it shouldn't work now anyway until they push out an update in early October so I'm just holding out until then and then I'll push the issue again.

bearda

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I can't tell you for sure since I don't really know Verizon, but you should be able to pop your SIM out pretty quickly and compare it to the pictures on the article I linked to. There are definitely 4G non-NFC Verizon SIMs out there, but the only way to know for sure it to check out what you have.

morganm00

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I can't tell you for sure since I don't really know Verizon, but you should be able to pop your SIM out pretty quickly and compare it to the pictures on the article I linked to. There are definitely 4G non-NFC Verizon SIMs out there, but the only way to know for sure it to check out what you have.

Ok, didn't see the link ... I checked my SIM card ... definitely the NFC version.