Placed an order through the Dell website (promotion w/ urBeats headphones) and just received my phone today. There's no protective film on either the front or back of the phone, though -- is this normal?

Looks like the GSM/other carrier versions had a wrap-around protective film, and I've seen some unboxing videos of the Verizon model that also showed a protective film on new-in-box phones. But some Verizon unboxing videos did not have the film (possibly removed to insert SIM and activate?)...

Anyone else encounter the same? Just making sure I didn't receive a returned/refurbished model by mistake...

Thanks!
    09-10-2013 08:33 PM
    I had plastic on mine that I ordered through verizon.

I had planed on ordering from dell, but found out that they would charge my credit card for full retail price for phone if I switched the number to another line in the same account. Even if I kept the line open for two years.

Worst. Customer. Service. Ever. Hella long waits on phone, reps that hardly spoke English. Just wasn't worth it for me.
    09-10-2013 08:58 PM
    09-10-2013 09:21 PM
    I told one of the Verizon reps that I wanted to test the power button placement on the One when I was in the store. He grabbed a brand new One out of the box for me to handle, and the only reason he did so was because it had protective film covering the entire phone.
    09-10-2013 09:29 PM
    Thanks all -- called Dell and asked for an exchange...

They said the phone would have been new, but I also just found a used SIM card pack at the bottom of the box (the credit card-sized holder with the SIM already popped out)... Given the same situation occurring in the other thread, hopefully this is not standard practice...
    09-11-2013 12:35 AM
    The phone should come with the protective plastic sleeve around it, that is normal for any phone; but with all Verizon 4G phones the sim card will always be pre-installed (unless specified) so therefore the plastic business card with the sim card punch out is normal. I can only assume that somehow the phone was removed from the box from Dell before you bought it and played with a bit. You should have checked to see if the tamper protection sticker was cut or replaced when you got it since there is no plastic shrink wrap around the box. Also, its a bit odd that Dell would be offering the HTC One anyway since its not something that, at least, I would believe is a good place for them to be marketing products since it seems it could be hurting themselves by selling a competitors product, that is if they even still makes Windows phones (not sure since I don't follow Dell or Windows phone news anymore).

But no matter, for big purchases and especially with phones, its always better IMO to buy them in person so you can make sure everything is correct and there are no defects with the product. Saves A LOT of time and hassle later on down the road, even if you have to spend a little more money up front.

They said the phone would have been new, but I also just found a used SIM card pack at the bottom of the box (the credit card-sized holder with the SIM already popped out)... Given the same situation occurring in the other thread, hopefully this is not standard practice...
    09-11-2013 03:20 AM
    My Sprint HTC One and T-mobile HTC One both came wrapped with plastic.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.
    09-11-2013 06:48 AM
    I was the one who posted in the "HTC One Still Worth Buying" thread. Although the phone didn't have any protective covering, the sim was still attached to the card. Been almost a week and I haven't had any problems. Loving this phone.
    09-11-2013 10:03 AM
    Hi all -- thanks for the info! Yes, the original phone I got also had the SIM card (the one assigned to my account) intact -- it was that I found another SIM card punched out at the bottom of the box, which was a bit odd...

Anyway, I received my replacement and it also doesn't have the protective film or the tamper-seal on the box. I did call VZ and they confirmed both phones (original and replacment) have not been activated previously, so I guess it's OK. FWIW, Dell says they are always new but that the distribution center opens the boxes and tests the phones before sending...so keep that in mind if you order from them...
    09-13-2013 02:30 PM

The SIM Card pack that you speak of is in all of the HTC Ones. I am at work, and just looked at four of the seven that we have. And yes, there is a plastic sleeve that should have been on the phone.
    09-13-2013 02:51 PM
    The phone should come with the protective plastic sleeve around it, that is normal for any phone; but with all Verizon 4G phones the sim card will always be pre-installed (unless specified) so therefore the plastic business card with the sim card punch out is normal. I can only assume that somehow the phone was removed from the box from Dell before you bought it and played with a bit. You should have checked to see if the tamper protection sticker was cut or replaced when you got it since there is no plastic shrink wrap around the box. Also, its a bit odd that Dell would be offering the HTC One anyway since its not something that, at least, I would believe is a good place for them to be marketing products since it seems it could be hurting themselves by selling a competitors product, that is if they even still makes Windows phones (not sure since I don't follow Dell or Windows phone news anymore).

But no matter, for big purchases and especially with phones, its always better IMO to buy them in person so you can make sure everything is correct and there are no defects with the product. Saves A LOT of time and hassle later on down the road, even if you have to spend a little more money up front.
    Only a few of the 4G phones have SIMs pre-installed. The One is the only one that I have encountered where the card was also inside the box. Other phones that include the SIM Cards are the iPhones and Motorola Droid RAZR HD. Neither of them had the full-sized card included, just a barcode on the box.
    09-13-2013 02:56 PM