Questions about HTC One from a current Galaxy Nexus owner

clemson77on

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
I currently have a Verizon Samsung Galazy Nexus and am thinking about pulling the trigger on the HTC One at Best Buy for $50 but I've got some questions that maybe some of you can help me out with.

1. From what I'm gathering, the phone can't be rooted now. Is that true, and if so does anybody think that will be overcome and a root solution will be created down the road. I can't have a phone that isn't able to be rooted.

2. Has anybody had problems with the USB port or SIM card? It seems that's been the issues with other HTC phones.

Also, if anybody has made the transition from a Galaxy Nexus, I'd like to hear some comparisons of battery life, call and data signals, 4G and 3G handoffs, wi-fi reception, and bluetooth quality. Thanks!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I believe it isn't possible with the new HBOOT " bootloader " being introduced in Android 4.2.2/4.3 (depending on region/carrier). But that doesn't mean give up all hope, as popular as the HTC One has been I can't see the devs laying down on this.

Bright side of things. I've always been a huge fan of rooting my devices and enjoying custom ROMs, etc. That said, this is the FIRST device I've owned that I can honestly say I am satisfied with what stock offers. HTC really did a sweet job with what they brought to the table with Sense and the device in general. Battery life is nice, Sense is minimized and not too overbloated and bloat can be disabled and " hidden " within Android settings and the launcher/app lists.

USB port issues, I haven't experienced. Normal Windows verses drivers issues.. Yeah.. That is just a Windows and drivers thing IMO...

FWIW.. I moved over from a Galaxy Nexus on Sprint to the HTC One on Sprint and loving every moment of it even on Sprint's sub par slow network :D

clemson77on

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the thorough feedback! I hope that I won't feel the need to root the phone at first. But I just want the option down the road if it's needed to stay current with updates because I'm definitely not wanting to depend on Verizon. As for the USB port, I was referring to it coming loose, not the connection with Windows. Thanks again for the feedback and if anybody else wants to chime in with their opinions, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
As for the USB port, I was referring to it coming loose
Haven't experienced any of this.. Granted I'm only a few weeks in but it seems very snug and the casing itself seems to provide added protection to the actual USB port connection.

As for the rest of the feedback, your welcome. I would say your pretty safe with it being on the latest even with Verizon's slow update reputation. I think moving forward its going to be a while before you see any real movement to the latest announcement of Android 4.4 (Kit Kat) outside of the Nexus line and by that I mean the GSM GNex, Nexus 4/7/10. I'm not expecting to see the Verizon/Sprint variants of the GNex updated to 4.4

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I had the SGN several phones ago; in my case there is no comparison. I would say that the call and data signal strength on the SGN were horrific with no comparison needed.
And as you probably know, the battery life on the SGN is about the worst of any phone (even compared to Crapple products).
From there I went S3, DNA and now One.....all out perform the SGN in every regard.
No issues with SIM, put it in and have never heard from it again.
USB non-issue.
Rooting - I agree that someone will figure it out.

Things to consider:
Build quality, when right the HTC One is hands down the best....but, check for gaps around the edges and also check that the screen is flush (no edges on top or bottom).
Lastly, there are some units that have faulty mics. Had to return my first one because it quit working after one week (google HTC mic problems).

The unit I have now is for the most part perfect and performs without a hitch.....you will forget about the SGN in very short order.
The best phone I have owned to date.
Good luck!

atakin77

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I used to have the GNex on VZW. Everything is better with the HTC One. Battery is good - I can generally go all day (morning to bed time) without needing a charge, but thus far I got slightly better battery life on the DNA. Not sure what is causing that - biggest culprits seem to be system type things (Android OS / kernel), but it the battery is still way better than the GNex. The SIM issue you are referring to was on the DNA - I've never had an issue on the One. Signal strength is great. I've avoid Samsung after my Nexus due to that. As for root, yes someone will figure it out, but Android has come so far I find little reason to root anymore. Many of the things I used to root for, such as battery life and things like that, are not an issue anymore. Some of the customization would be nice, but I've not found myself wishing for root as my phone is now usable out of the box.

msvanhorn

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
I mad the exact move 5 weeks ago that you are thinking about and this has been my experience:

1. I am now aware of any root, but I agree with clemson77on, I have not felt the need to since I started using this phone.
  2. No issues with USB port of SIM card. I actually like the feel of the micro USB, it seems to "snap" in and hold a cord solid. I haven't swapped the SIM, but I'm convinced I will loose the little SIM card tool they gave me.
  3. Battery life seems almost 40% better, which I was really worried about with the non removable battery. I was swapping between two 1 year old batteries in a busy day with my Nexus, but no need now. Call and Data signals seem stronger and no issues with 4g to 3g handoffs. Wi Fi reception seems better at work on our mobile wireless network and bluetooth sounds good, but I'm not an audiophile at all. I have a Pebble watch that seems to connect better with the HTC One.

My only really issue is that I'm not taking much better pictures than the Galaxy Nexus but I will probably by the Sony QX10 in the future. It doesn't handle outdoor /bright light very well but the Zoe's are fun.

Hope that helps.

Jeff43

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I upgraded to the One after having the GN since release day. And I can say I don't miss my GN at all.
As far as 4G, I couldn't get a signal at all at home on the GN, I live in low area, but with the One I can get a 4G signal in 5 rooms now. I haven't done any benchmarks, but I feel the 4G & Wi-Fi seem to be a bit faster too.
I've had no issues with either the USB or SIM on mine.
Battery Life is awesome on the One, I'm no power user but on the GN I could get 11-12hrs before needing a charge, in the same time period the One still has 60+ percent battery left! Loving that.
On a final note, I did think I was going to miss my favorite ROM, Paranoid Android w/PIE from the GN, but Sense is very polished and it feels like a "new" ROM to me, so, after a few weeks with the One I don't miss my GN at all. In fact I had no plans to sell my GN at first, but now the One has given me no reason to keep it.
The only thing I could tell you is, if your a habitual crackflasher, I'm a recovering one myself, wait and see if the Nexus 5 will come to Verizon, if it does get it. If not, definitely get the One, it's made me forget about my GN, and I loved that phone.

joansin

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
Why do you "have" to have root? Install Nova Prime and have a sexii beastly phone. Plus, you and that Samsung are struggling with connectivity. The radio in that thing is soooo weak. I feel bad for you and the fact that you are still putting up with it. HTC radio's are comparable to Motorola's radios which are top notch. The One is the best phone out on the market right now hands down. I can't believe you would even consider it more than you already are. Good luck!

- - - Updated - - -

Why do you "have" to have root? Install Nova Prime and have a sexii beastly phone. Plus, you and that Samsung are struggling with connectivity. The radio in that thing is soooo weak. I feel bad for you and the fact that you are still putting up with it. HTC radio's are comparable to Motorola's radios which are top notch. The One is the best phone out on the market right now hands down. I can't believe you would even consider it more than you already are. Good luck!

clemson77on

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all the feedback. I will have a HTC One in my possession tomorrow night as long as I can decide between the silver and the blue (which btw, Best Buy is saying has 4.3 - I just don't think that's accurate)

joansin - you're probably right. I can't wait to see what this thing has and I may not care to root it ever - hope I don't. But there are a lot of things that I will not be able to do with a non-rooted phone that I would like to. I highly utilize Tasker, and several tools will not be available. Also, I like removing bloatware and being able to use Titanium to backup apps. It's not a deal breaker, but I hope it's something that I can do soon to my new HTC One.

joansin

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
Nova does not remove the bloatware but will make it seem as if it was never there. The only reason I ever rooted was to tether but that is part of my plan now so I don't worry about it anymore. I've never felt the need to back up apps so don't know much about that or its benefits. Bottom line is this. The phone is beast. If you can get it for under a hundred then don't hesitate. Cheers!

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk 4

clemson77on

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
So I thought I'd chime back in and tell you I'm a new proud owner of a silver HTC One. I picked it up last night at Best Buy for $50. It's early but so far I'm impressed. Here are my EARLY thoughts (mostly comparing to my Galaxy Nexus):

It's extremely fast!
The volume seems to be much louder. The alarm this morning... jeez!
The music sounds great! Headphones sound better than the speakers, but they sound good too.
The data signals are better. Usually I have some small holes in my coverage when I'm driving and streaming. Not anymore.
I really don't want to cover it with a case and screen protector because it's such a good looking device, but I think I will have to because it is so slick! I was fumbling around with it in my car.
It may just take some getting used to but so far I do not like the power button on the top.
I'll wait before making any judgement on Sense. I'm accustomed to custom roms built off of stock android, so this will take some time to decide what I like or don't like.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae