Hey friends, and especially Mr. Ambassador EvilMonkey! I am the proud new owner of a HTC One "cell phone" aka htc6500. I call it a multifunction entertainment device with a phone attached. LOL. Although it seems the phone part takes a back seat to everything else it tries to do! ie: How clear are the photos it takes, or how well does it audio record the local garage rock band? LOL. I wouldn't be surprised if there is an app for flushing the toilet! Anyway, as I explain further down south here, for me, the HTC is an "upgrade" from a good ole trusty Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0 that served me well for over 2 years. The Galaxy Player mimics a "smart phone" but without the "phone" part. So, much of the behavior of the new htc is similar to the Galaxy Player short of mobile data and making phone calls! LOL. Yes, I did have another device called a cellular phone that was used just to make phone calls! So, without further adoo, I have posted the first batch of burning questions about the new phone and some more general questions.
    1) You guys talk about "ROMS". I know, from computer work, it stands for Read Only Memory. What does it mean from a smart phone standpoint? Like firmware?
    2) I noticed that some of my longer file names are shortened and end up with ....... at the end. I guess it's the OS of the phone that can display only so many characters? Like old 16bit windows was 8+3 vs 32 bit windows, like XP and 7 can do 256+4 (or more).
    3) When I connect my phone to my Windows 7 computer via USB and open Windows Explorer to transfer file back and forth, there is no way to invoke details in the file transfer window. Also, windows shows no file details when examining a file on the phones drive, just the size and maybe date created. When I transfer a file, say a photo taken by the phone TO windows, THEN it shows metadata. Again, must be a quirk of the Android OS? There are other little nuinces too.
    4) Just received a OTG dongle I purchased on eBay so I can hook up a HDD to watch movies and listen to music without jamming the little 32gig internal storage. Well, to my dismay, I learned that the phone only recognizes thumb drives and NOT external HDD's! Grrrr. Yes, I tried only drives that had external power supplies! Yes, I realize phone does not have enough power to start those self powered laptop type drives. So, why does phone refuse to show a HDD of any type? I tried to search first for an answer, but cannot find anything that makes sense.
    5) Regarding the OTG dongles in general, why in King Carnation, there arn't any dongles that allow the charger to be attached while using an external peripheral??? Ya, I've seen, on Amazon and eBay, cables equipped with a female micro USB connector FOR the charger, but all say it does NOT power the phone, merely the attached device?
    6) When I try to perform a safe eject from my windows 7 computer, I open up the safely eject device window from the icon in the task bar, and the phone shows up as a CDROM! When I click on it, the CDROM just disappears instead of saying safe to eject. So, I just unplugged the cable from the computer and all seems ok.
    7) Maybe this question should be asked in some Google forum, but as we all know, Android and Google are married anyway. Question: Referencing that Samsung Galaxy Player, how do I break all ties between the old player, me, and Google if I were to sell it? So, say my friend buys my old Galaxy Player and he/she wants to register the player as their own, create their own Google account and not use mine? Currently, my account shows BOTH devices as mine. Is it simply just blowing it's memory out and starting in factory fresh mode?
    8) The wonderfull folks over in the Apple camp, feature some devices as having "retina display". From the little I understand, it is some form of hi-rez display thing but with all kinds of stipulations, like viewing distances and PPI stuff? Now, our fine htc One phones brag about having a full blown HD display as well...1080x1920p? If this were an Apple product, would THIS phone spec out as having "retina display"?
    Thanks all of you for blowing your lunch period at work reading this! BTW, any pointers or even attempts of answering my burning hot questions would be much appreciated!

PS: I seldom play with help forums, so pardon me for not blinging this out with all sorts of clever smilies and the like, since I need to learn how to use all that stuff!
    11-15-2013 09:17 AM
    Hey friends, and especially Mr. Ambassador EvilMonkey! I am the proud new owner of a HTC One "cell phone" aka htc6500. I call it a multifunction entertainment device with a phone attached. LOL. Although it seems the phone part takes a back seat to everything else it tries to do! ie: How clear are the photos it takes, or how well does it audio record the local garage rock band? LOL. I wouldn't be surprised if there is an app for flushing the toilet! Anyway, as I explain further down south here, for me, the HTC is an "upgrade" from a good ole trusty Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0 that served me well for over 2 years. The Galaxy Player mimics a "smart phone" but without the "phone" part. So, much of the behavior of the new htc is similar to the Galaxy Player short of mobile data and making phone calls! LOL. Yes, I did have another device called a cellular phone that was used just to make phone calls! So, without further adoo, I have posted the first batch of burning questions about the new phone and some more general questions.
    1) You guys talk about "ROMS". I know, from computer work, it stands for Read Only Memory. What does it mean from a smart phone standpoint? Like firmware?
    2) I noticed that some of my longer file names are shortened and end up with ....... at the end. I guess it's the OS of the phone that can display only so many characters? Like old 16bit windows was 8+3 vs 32 bit windows, like XP and 7 can do 256+4 (or more).
    3) When I connect my phone to my Windows 7 computer via USB and open Windows Explorer to transfer file back and forth, there is no way to invoke details in the file transfer window. Also, windows shows no file details when examining a file on the phones drive, just the size and maybe date created. When I transfer a file, say a photo taken by the phone TO windows, THEN it shows metadata. Again, must be a quirk of the Android OS? There are other little nuinces too.
    4) Just received a OTG dongle I purchased on eBay so I can hook up a HDD to watch movies and listen to music without jamming the little 32gig internal storage. Well, to my dismay, I learned that the phone only recognizes thumb drives and NOT external HDD's! Grrrr. Yes, I tried only drives that had external power supplies! Yes, I realize phone does not have enough power to start those self powered laptop type drives. So, why does phone refuse to show a HDD of any type? I tried to search first for an answer, but cannot find anything that makes sense.
    5) Regarding the OTG dongles in general, why in King Carnation, there arn't any dongles that allow the charger to be attached while using an external peripheral??? Ya, I've seen, on Amazon and eBay, cables equipped with a female micro USB connector FOR the charger, but all say it does NOT power the phone, merely the attached device?
    6) When I try to perform a safe eject from my windows 7 computer, I open up the safely eject device window from the icon in the task bar, and the phone shows up as a CDROM! When I click on it, the CDROM just disappears instead of saying safe to eject. So, I just unplugged the cable from the computer and all seems ok.
    7) Maybe this question should be asked in some Google forum, but as we all know, Android and Google are married anyway. Question: Referencing that Samsung Galaxy Player, how do I break all ties between the old player, me, and Google if I were to sell it? So, say my friend buys my old Galaxy Player and he/she wants to register the player as their own, create their own Google account and not use mine? Currently, my account shows BOTH devices as mine. Is it simply just blowing it's memory out and starting in factory fresh mode?
    8) The wonderfull folks over in the Apple camp, feature some devices as having "retina display". From the little I understand, it is some form of hi-rez display thing but with all kinds of stipulations, like viewing distances and PPI stuff? Now, our fine htc One phones brag about having a full blown HD display as well...1080x1920p? If this were an Apple product, would THIS phone spec out as having "retina display"?
    Thanks all of you for blowing your lunch period at work reading this! BTW, any pointers or even attempts of answering my burning hot questions would be much appreciated!

PS: I seldom play with help forums, so pardon me for not blinging this out with all sorts of clever smilies and the like, since I need to learn how to use all that stuff!
    Welcome to the forums.
    I am not very proficient with an HTC One, but congrats on the new toy!!
    As for unplugging your device from your PC you can just unplug it. No worries.
    ROMs are the different versions of android and how they are laid out, themed, etc. For being so new, I would not pay much attention to ROMs and such just yet.
    11-15-2013 09:39 AM
    Also, how about heading over to the Intro sections and starting a thread to say Hi.
    11-15-2013 09:49 AM
    Hey thanks for the shoutout. I don't have an HTC One, so I can't really answer a bunch of those questions.

I can address the Retina display though. It's just a buzzword that they call their displays. It's supposed to mean you can't discern individual pixels (at normal viewing angles) and is based on density or PPI: Pixels Per Inch. The more pixels per inch, the less likely you are to see individual pixels. So straight/angled edges are smoother with no "jaggies" and things like that.

So your iPads with "Retina" display are 2048x1536 with a 264PPI. A comparible Android tablet, such as the Nexus 10, has a 2560x1600 screen, or 300PPI;

Meanwhile the new iPad mini has the same resolution as a normal iPad (2048x1536) but a smaller screen, which pushes the PPI up to 326. A comparible Android tablet, the Nexus 7, has a 1920x1200 display which makes it 323PPI. So it's right on par with an iPad mini.

It's a little hard to compare because of different resolutions and different screen sizes. For example the Nexus 7 has 7" screen while the iPad Mini's is 7.9" and the shapes are also different: The Nexus 7 is widescreen like your HDTV while the iPad Mini is more squarish like your grandparent's old tube TV

But the term Retina is just an Apple marketing term to refer to a high PPI screen. Buzzwords do wonders for marketing.
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
    11-15-2013 10:29 AM
    Thanks EvilMonkey for your detailed explanation on display resolutions and what "Retina" is. Can we compare any of this PPI stuff to like "dot pitch" on older CRT's and some LCD displays?
    11-17-2013 05:19 PM
    I come back and check out my threads every few days. I noticed that @ least 3 of my questions have been answered....Thanks to all that helped me out! Questions 4 and 5 still need some input. That's regarding the USB dongle adapter. If anybody else has any experience with these and what quirks they have would be appreciated. Then next would be question 7 about how to sever all ties between me and my old Galaxy Player 5.0. Thanks up front for any help!
    11-21-2013 09:50 AM