Verizon HTC One : No Software Keyboard Appears to Unlock Phone - I Know My PIN

chepmedia

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Like it says - suddenly my keyboard doesn't show up to allow me to unlock my phone, just the voice recognition. I can SPEAK my 4-digit PIN, but that does me no good because unlike the iPhone where after the 4th character is entered it automatically unlocks the phone, you have to hit Enter (submit) on Android. Text to speech on Android doesn't really Enter / Submit / Carriage Return.

I've tried rebooting.

I've tried Safe Mode. (I was actually surprised this didn't work since I'm sure it's my third-party keyboard crapping out (SwiftKey) and that on Safe Mode boot the default Sense keyboard would pop up but no luck.)

I don't have a USB OTG adapter cable to hook up a physical USB keyboard (don't know that that would work since I don't have my phone settings under the hood set up for that..)

Took a stab at Recovery mode after holding down a bajillion buttons and the power button but that didn't go anywhere. It just showed me a red triangle with an exclamation mark. Honestly I was aiming in the dark with that one.

Saw something about cygwin and ADB but I admit, I'd have no idea what I'm doing there and fear messing with my desktop too in all this.

The Verizon store (always) says "factory reset your phone" but I'm here to see if there's anything else I can try. I back up the content regularly but really. .... who wants to go through the hassle of re-installing crap again if they don't have to.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Marc