KitKat: no SMS notifications

KSDroid01

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I no longer receive text messaging notifications even though I've set a tone and vibrate for receipt. Also my Sense emojis are all gone. Using the native messaging app. Any ideas?

Posted via Android Central App

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Do you have SMS enabled in Hangouts? Also where do you have the notifications setup at, in your phone settings or the app? Not a fan of the stock app and do not use it but make sure you have them set in both places. One last thing try looking at a 3rd party app for SMS they offer so much more than the stock app. As for the emojis 3rd party apps will solve that as well but if you're die hard about using stock the HTC Sense keyboard offers emojis in the lower left hand corner press and hold the smiley 12# until they appear. Google also offers a keyboard at the Play Store with emojis.

KSDroid01

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Do you have SMS enabled in Hangouts?

Won't that disable the stock Sense app?

Also where do you have the notifications setup at, in your phone settings or the app?

Enabled in both locations, just no longer getting any since Kit Kat.

Not a fan of the stock app and do not use it but make sure you have them set in both places. One last thing try looking at a 3rd party app for SMS they offer so much more than the stock app. As for the emojis 3rd party apps will solve that as well but if you're die hard about using stock the HTC Sense keyboard offers emojis in the lower left hand corner press and hold the smiley 12# until they appear.

Dedicated Swype user, used to have graphical emojis but after Kit Kat now just old fashioned keyboard symbols. My word...Sense keyboard has tons...almost enough to get me to switch to that keyboard while texting!

Google also offers a keyboard at the Play Store with emojis.

Posted via my Honestly TerrifiC One

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
No I don't think hangouts settings change the settings in the stock app. You say they're enabled in both places do you mean hangouts and the stock Message app or the stock app and notifications in the phone settings? Have you tried a 3rd party app? It could reset whatever may have been turned off or disabled, since none of the stock stuff can be reset by re-installation.

KSDroid01

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
No I don't think hangouts settings change the settings in the stock app.

In Hangouts notifications are checked but grayed out because it's not my default sms app, and I've heard in 4.4 you can only have one sms app running at a time...so if I enable sms in Hangouts it will disable the Sense sms app... I think.

You say they're enabled in both places do you mean hangouts and the stock Message app or the stock app and notifications in the phone settings?

Enabled notifications in both the Sense sms app, and in phone notification settings.

Have you tried a 3rd party app? It could reset whatever may I have been turned off or disabled, since none of the stock stuff can be reset by re-installation.

Looks like I'll have to try that next if there are no other ideas forthcoming. Up until now I've been completely happy with the Sense sms app but really need notifications to work. Thanks for your input.

Posted via my Honestly TerrifiC One

lherch

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
I was having the same issue with my HTC One. The missing link is "SMS Backup and Restore". It an app that's been out for a while and I've always used it. It is now part of the settings under the "Wireless & Networks" then select "... MORE". There you will find second on the list "Default SMS app". Mark "Messages" and you are golden again!!!!!!!!!

Hope this helps!!!

KSDroid01

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I was having the same issue with my HTC One. The missing link is "SMS Backup and Restore". It an app that's been out for a while and I've always used it. It is now part of the settings under the "Wireless & Networks" then select "... MORE". There you will find second on the list "Default SMS app". Mark "Messages" and you are golden again!!!!!!!!!

Hope this helps!!!

I got some tech support from the SMS Backup and Restore people, similar advice I think...I'd set the app up to do auto backups to Google Drive and thought I had to set it to my default messaging app for it to work that way, but they told me I only needed to set it to default to restore backed-up messages, then I could replace it with HTC Messaging as the default, which solved my problem.

BTW, love the app...daily automatic incremental backups of both SMS and MMS to cloud storage, solved on of the more irritating challenges of transferring to a new phone.

Posted via the "Best Smartphone of 2013" One

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21