HTC thunderbolt battery doesn't play nice with rezound? Error

SoulWeaponry

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
So, i passed on getting a spare battery when a verizon rep was trying to have me walk out with one because i still had the spare from my thunderbolt. Figured it should work since it fits and is the same dimensions. Well...yes and no.

It'll power up just fine with the battery inside it and all worked fine. Until you look at the battery icon at the top. Is this something i should be worried about?

NLh4j.jpg

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Can't speak for the t/bolt batteries or the rezound, but I know some high end Nikon batteries look alike, will fit but some actually send out an ID signal to the camera for battery usage levels. Possibly this is what is happening in your case.

I guess it might be advisable to check the part numbers and make sure the t/bolt batteries are compatible. Just because a battery fits, does not mean it is right for the device.

GtoJon

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Just Like Canon did with their cameras/batteries. $80 for a Canon brand & $3.95 for a generic non-chipped. I just tried all 3 of mine from the Bolt & all have the battery issue ... even the HTC brand. I have Gauge Battery Widget that tells me what my battery life is : ) I have 2 1800mah red batteries coming for the rezound & should arrive today .... again these are for the Bolt so I am sure the same issue will exist. I'm not going to worry about this because of the widget.

Cheers :) ..... BTW RETG .... how did you do a screen capture? I use droid@screen that worked fine with my Bolt, but with the rezound it is faded or even transparent :(

mountbkr

May 11, 2011
Visit site
BTW RETG .... how did you do a screen capture? (

In order to take a screenshot you must:?Simultaneously press the power + home button on the phone.

Please host pictures on a site such as Photobucket or Picasa, and then use the insert image tool above to add them to your post.
If you use any cool and/or interesting themes, homescreen replacements, or widgets, please list them in your post also

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Can't speak for the t/bolt batteries or the rezound, but I know some high end Nikon batteries look alike, will fit but some actually send out an ID signal to the camera for battery usage levels. Possibly this is what is happening in your case.

I guess it might be advisable to check the part numbers and make sure the t/bolt batteries are compatible. Just because a battery fits, does not mean it is right for the device.

Historically though HTC batteries used to work in different HTC phones, for example I have a battery designed for the Migato (sp?) in my original DInc and it worked fine (only slightly thicker so I didnt need a replacement battery door and larger case).

Not sure what is going on here but yes I would be worried, and would not continue using the TBolt battery in this phone.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
This is probably just another way to keep people from using older batteries. Same thing moto was doing with certain chargers not working with the bionic.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
unless they are put there because a company just wants to fool you into buying stuff >_>

Very unlikely.

There is something different about the battery and ignoring error messages is a bad idea and you risk damaging your phone and/or the battery and possibly voiding the warranty.

scassel

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
If you will, notice that the tbolt batteries are listed as 3.7 volts and the rezound are 3.8. I saw this on the first day when I tried to swap a fully charged bolt battery into my new rezound to get through the day. I immediately removed it. I am not taking the chance. I will pick up another stock battery at VZW for the rezound. They are on sale right now anyway.

Reactions: YourMobileGuru

rvhighway

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
If you will, notice that the tbolt batteries are listed as 3.7 volts and the rezound are 3.8.
I went and looked at the two batteries that I have, a standard TBolt battery that came with my Tbolt and a standard Rezound battery that I bought from the Corporate Verizon store. 3.7 volts is printed on the TBolt standard battery and 3.7 volts is printed on the Rezound battery. They are the same voltage.

The Rezound battery that I bought is the red one with "htc" written on it. It's sold by Verizon in a box clearly marked as the "standard battery." Right now it's on sale for $19.99 rather than its usual price of $39.

Of course, the difference between the two batteries is their capacities. The TBolt's battery is 1400 mAh while the Rezound is clearly written as 1620 mAh. Again, this is straight off the backs of the batteries - not off the box or printed materials.

Now I can't comment on using a TBolt battery in the Rezound since I don't have the Rezound. I have the TBolt. However, I am using the Rezound battery in the TBolt to get the little extra capacity. It plays well with the TBolt.

I don't understand why it wouldn't work the other way around for everyone with the Rezound.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Best advice I can give anyone is to use the battery that is meant for the phone and not try to substitute.
If you use it and it ruins the phone, there is no recourse for you because you have voided the warranty on the phone.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
If you will, notice that the tbolt batteries are listed as 3.7 volts and the rezound are 3.8. I saw this on the first day when I tried to swap a fully charged bolt battery into my new rezound to get through the day. I immediately removed it. I am not taking the chance. I will pick up another stock battery at VZW for the rezound. They are on sale right now anyway.

Good find, that would deffiitely explain the error and will help me if I ever get the two batteries mixed up. :)

jonezilla

May 8, 2010
Visit site
The Rezound battery that I bought is the red one with "htc" written on it. It's sold by Verizon in a box clearly marked as the "standard battery." Right now it's on sale for $19.99 rather than its usual price of $39.

Are the batteries on sale at the stores? VZW is listing them for $40 on their website.

SoulWeaponry

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Are the batteries on sale at the stores? VZW is listing them for $40 on their website.

It is a stores only promotion they say will "only be available for a limited time". It's their way of getting you into the store so they can talk you into extra accessories/signing up for other services. I went in last night and told the salesman straight up "i'm here for the battery. Nothing else. Your voodoo won't work on me" and walked out with a $40 battery i paid $20 for

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Where do you see the Rezound battery listed as 3.8V? Mine says 3.7V on it.

Thanks, Robrecht