Swype and the Rezound - if you use it, please take a look

malderi

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I've been trying to get Swype working on my Rezound and I've got a problem. It initially appears like a hardware problem, but I'm not entirely convinced.

Basically, when Swyping words across the middle of the keyboard, Swype will sometimes lose my finger in the middle of the word. Obviously, this makes it seem like one word is two, and makes Swype all but useless on the Rezound. Because it generally occurs only on the middle of the keyboard, I thought it might be a problem with the capacitive touchscreen in that area.

However, the HTC "Trace" keyboard functionality works just perfectly. The Swype problem doesn't manifest on every word, but often enough (like 10-20% of the time) that I can get it going pretty reliably. However, Trace has never lost the touch in the few days that I've been using it.

So, there's two possible explanations -

1 - it's a hardware problem, but HTC Trace is doing something in software to recover from it and keep the word going (like a longer timeout before it thinks you're done with the word)

2 - it's a software bug in Swype.

If it's #2, then hopefully someone else here with a Rezound can tell me they're encountering the same thing, or not!

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I've been trying to get Swype working on my Rezound and I've got a problem. It initially appears like a hardware problem, but I'm not entirely convinced.

Basically, when Swyping words across the middle of the keyboard, Swype will sometimes lose my finger in the middle of the word. Obviously, this makes it seem like one word is two, and makes Swype all but useless on the Rezound. Because it generally occurs only on the middle of the keyboard, I thought it might be a problem with the capacitive touchscreen in that area.

However, the HTC "Trace" keyboard functionality works just perfectly. The Swype problem doesn't manifest on every word, but often enough (like 10-20% of the time) that I can get it going pretty reliably. However, Trace has never lost the touch in the few days that I've been using it.

1 - it's a hardware problem, but HTC Trace is doing something in software to recover from it and keep the word going (like a longer timeout before it thinks you're done with the word)

If it's #2, then hopefully someone else here with a Rezound can tell me they're encountering the same thing, or not!

Sounds like a software problem to me and I have no doubt that the Swype beta tester group has people running the Rezound.

heartagram616

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm also using the latest version of the swype beta and have not run into any of the problems you are having. It works flawlessly for me.

malderi

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm also using the latest version of the swype beta and have not run into any of the problems you are having. It works flawlessly for me.

I've narrowed it down a bit more. It's not actually the middle of the touchscreen that's the problem, it's how fast my finger is moving. Can you try just moving your finger rapidly across the keyboard and see if it keeps tracking correctly? Thanks!

heartagram616

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I've narrowed it down a bit more. It's not actually the middle of the touchscreen that's the problem, it's how fast my finger is moving. Can you try just moving your finger rapidly across the keyboard and see if it keeps tracking correctly? Thanks!

I have to move it way faster than I could possibly type and even then usually it works fine. I just moved back and forth in like a zig zag pattern and it was good probably 9 times out of 10. Hope this helps.

malderi

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Okay. If it's happening with you, though, that means it's either a systemic problem with the touch screens, or a software bug. Thanks.

terporiolefan

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I am also having this same problem, but I am unsure when exactly or how to recreate it. Glad to know it's not just me.

I could be wrong, but it seems to only happen when using my thumb. I have tried with my finger to retrace the word that failed with my thumb and never have a problem. Is this the case for anyone else or just an odd coincidence?

Gotta be a software bug IMO.

malderi

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
For me, it is now very easy to reproduce if I want now. Just run your finger very quickly around the keyboard and Swype will lose it.

NaitsirkC

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm also having this issue. The htc trace works fine, and so do other keyboards. I've tried using my index, and also the very tip of my thumb and it does it less then, but needless to say that's very annoying, and I've never had this issue with previous versions of swype. Did anyone else do the temproot? I did that and restored my apps, including the swype installer which had to be updated. I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but I'm saving a factory rest as a last resort. Also I have a screen protector, I don't know if maybe that's making swype less sensitive? I would like to believe it isn't hardware, I'd rather not exchange my phone and have to set everything up again... Which I might have to do if I factory reset anyway.

nujackk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I actually have had this problem with swype on the Rezound, and incredible. pretty sure it's a bug with swype. Been on the beta for over a year this has been there the last 2 versions

pkopalek

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site

i am having this EXACT problem with my Rezound!

Honestly, i was hoping it was an issue with just my phone!

I cant swype Thanksgiving almost at all!

Latest beta here! No screen protector or anything. Stock software.juJu

This is enough of an issue for me that i'm considering downgrading to thunderbolt, no joke!

unmoses

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
I am also having this same problem, but I am unsure when exactly or how to recreate it. Glad to know it's not just me.

I could be wrong, but it seems to only happen when using my thumb. I have tried with my finger to retrace the word that failed with my thumb and never have a problem. Is this the case for anyone else or just an odd coincidence?

Gotta be a software bug IMO.

I have this problem as well, particularly when I use my thumb "swyping" one handed. I don't have a problem using two hands with one index finger. I do have the stock verizon anti-glare screen protector (which I don't care for, gotta look for something clearer)

Oh yeah, and I'm a terp and oriole fan as well :)

Cares

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm having the same problem with Swype. I'm used to just "gliding" my finger over the screen and having Swype work flawlessly for me when I was on the EVO. I noticed that it loses track of my finger if I'm going too fast or too delicately. I have to forcefully push down hard while Swyping to insure it doesn't produce 2 words or the wrong word.

Quite annoying. Thinking of going back to Swiftkey because of this.

avlena

May 5, 2010
Visit site
also having the same problem. Thought it was because of the screen protector mucking with the screen sensitivity, but if others are having this problem, maybe not! Agree that going slower helps, but a lot of times for long words i just get frustrated and tap it in instead.