The Bloat. Good God!

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
I just got the Rezound. I'm enjoying its screen, 4G, and I actually like Sense overall.
But seriously, the bloat on this phone has to be the worst 4G class offender of them all. I tried out the Bookmarks widget so I could get to my websites easier. When I went to delete those useless VZW bookmarks, I noticed they were not only stuck at the top of the list, but they were freakin' unremovable!!
Bookmarks as bloat now too?! Jesus Verizon, are you serious?
I really like the phone, but the need to return it is growing. I can't fathom not even being able to customize my own bookmarks. Please, someone tell me I'm doing something wrong and I'm missing it.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I just got the Rezound. I'm enjoying its screen, 4G, and I actually like Sense overall.
But seriously, the bloat on this phone has to be the worst 4G class offender of them all. I tried out the Bookmarks widget so I could get to my websites easier. When I went to delete those useless VZW bookmarks, I noticed they were not only stuck at the top of the list, but they were freakin' unremovable!!
I really like the phone, but the need to return it is growing. I can't fathom not even being able to customize my own bookmarks. Please, someone tell me I'm doing something wrong and I'm missing it.

Verizon has been doing the locked bookmarks since after the OG Droid. You actually have to hack the browser.db(SQLite3) file in order to remove those. In other words you need permanent root. I just switch to Dolphin HD and forget the stock browser ever existed. Maybe I'll try it again in ICS.

Dukins

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site

You can remove the bookmarks. Just long press on the bookmark that you want to delete and remove it. To rearrange the bookmark order - menu>sort>alphabetical.

I agree the bloatware is horrendous. Cant wait to root it lol.

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Verizon has been doing the locked bookmarks since after the OG Droid. You actually have to hack the browser.db(SQLite3) file in order to remove those. In other words you need permanent root. I just switch to Dolphin HD and forget the stock browser ever existed. Maybe I'll try it again in ICS.

Oh. I've clung to my OG Droid for so long that I didn't realize this type of bloat even existed. It's pretty sad, but I'll deal with it. The hardware on the Rezound has me happy enough, but I can't wait to root and possibly ROM this phone. ICS would make it unstoppable.

Also, if anyone else is having this issue, I figured out a workaround. Under bookmarks, make sure you add a Tag to whichever page you want to keep. I named a tag "Not Bloat" and just add it to each page I want. Then, when you use the widget, make sure to filter it so that only your tags show up.

jar of dirt

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Reactions: AT Test

GC736

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
I was actually thinking I'd like to see someone start class action lawsuit against these carriers to allow these bloat apps to be uninstalled by the EU. Microsoft got in trouble for basically the same thing. Just like buying a new comptter, they can load all the crap that they want, but then do you have the ability to remove it if you do not want.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I was actually thinking I'd like to see someone start class action lawsuit against these carriers to allow these bloat apps to be uninstalled by the EU. Microsoft got in trouble for basically the same thing. Just like buying a new comptter, they can load all the crap that they want, but then do you have the ability to remove it if you do not want.

Microsoft case is way different then this. Your use of a computer is not tied to Microsoft. But your use of a Verizon phone is tied to Verizon so for all intents and purposes it's theirs since it can only be used on their network and they have agreements with the OEMs to include their apps on devices coming to their network. I do agree that I just wish you could remove them. That's the big issue. The average user probably would not bother removing them because it probably doesn't bother them. But for us,it's a pain. But unfortunately, I don't think there's anything that can be really done when it comes to a device that needs their network to work so they probably can put whatever they want.

Joelist

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site

The bookmarks aren't locked. I deleted them easily from my HTC Thunderbolt.

booboolala2000

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
Microsoft case is way different then this. Your use of a computer is not tied to Microsoft. But your use of a Verizon phone is tied to Verizon so for all intents and purposes it's theirs since it can only be used on their network and they have agreements with the OEMs to include their apps on devices coming to their network. I do agree that I just wish you could remove them. That's the big issue. The average user probably would not bother removing them because it probably doesn't bother them. But for us,it's a pain. But unfortunately, I don't think there's anything that can be really done when it comes to a device that needs their network to work so they probably can put whatever they want.

At least with ICS you will be able to quarantine these unwanted apps from running at all.