Not picking up e-mail while "resting"

droidnole

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
My Rezound is not synching my e-mails (work account or Gmail) when my phone has been "idle" for a time...so, when I am not using my phone, the screen times out (as it should, because it's set to do so after 45 seconds); but then if I don't use the phone for a while (not sure exactly how long); it does not sync my e-mail folders (i.e., it does not receive new mail, even when it's time for a scheduled "refresh")...then, when I pick the phone up and press the power button to turn the screen back on, the network indicator in the top right of the phone quickly "comes back to life" with the 4g (or 3G) logo appearing when it wasn't there as soon as the screen came back on...basically as if my phone has been "asleep."

In Setting>Power, I have the "Enable Sleep Mode" set to "Never"...and in "Accounts & sync" I have the "Background data" box checked. I'm not seeing any other settings that could be affecting this, but having my phone pick up my e-mail while it's in my pocket or sitting on the table next to me for an extended period (and giving me a notification that I have mail) is kind of one of the main points of having a smartphone...I never had this problem with my original Droid...anyone have any ideas?

Reactions: droidman2177

Dukins

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
My Rezound is not synching my e-mails (work account or Gmail) when my phone has been "idle" for a time...so, when I am not using my phone, the screen times out (as it should, because it's set to do so after 45 seconds); but then if I don't use the phone for a while (not sure exactly how long); it does not sync my e-mail folders (i.e., it does not receive new mail, even when it's time for a scheduled "refresh")...then, when I pick the phone up and press the power button to turn the screen back on, the network indicator in the top right of the phone quickly "comes back to life" with the 4g (or 3G) logo appearing when it wasn't there as soon as the screen came back on...basically as if my phone has been "asleep."

In Setting>Power, I have the "Enable Sleep Mode" set to "Never"...and in "Accounts & sync" I have the "Background data" box checked. I'm not seeing any other settings that could be affecting this, but having my phone pick up my e-mail while it's in my pocket or sitting on the table next to me for an extended period (and giving me a notification that I have mail) is kind of one of the main points of having a smartphone...I never had this problem with my original Droid...anyone have any ideas?

What power setting do you have your phone on? I have phone that performance is the best setting because it constantly syncs everything.

When I tried my power setting on economy or normal, while phone would sleep it would not sync anything. I had to manually refresh everything which is a pain.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
My Rezound is not synching my e-mails (work account or Gmail) when my phone has been "idle" for a time...

Snip...

I never had this problem with my original Droid...anyone have any ideas?

Ok, if you're using the stock email app...stop...for the love of god please stop ;-) Try K-9. The stock themed, sensed, BS email app is garbage and doesn't do it's job 90% of the time. The stock android mail app is bad enough on it's own but add in sense and you're asking for trouble. Check the power settings as suggested above and move away from stock if you can.

droidnole

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, I had my power setting on "Normal," so I'll change it to "High Performance" and see if that helps...just hope it doesn't totally kill the battery :).

As for the mail app, I am not using the stock app for my work (Exchange) e-mail...I'm using Touchdown...used it on my og Droid with pretty good success...do you think K-9 is better?

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, I had my power setting on "Normal," so I'll change it to "High Performance" and see if that helps...just hope it doesn't totally kill the battery :).

As for the mail app, I am not using the stock app for my work (Exchange) e-mail...I'm using Touchdown...used it on my og Droid with pretty good success...do you think K-9 is better?

Touchdown is great for exchange, I gave up stock mail on my OG droid when it stopped notifying me when I got messages, or just flat out stopped checking them.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Ok, if you're using the stock email app...stop...for the love of god please stop ;-) Try K-9. The stock themed, sensed, BS email app is garbage and doesn't do it's job 90% of the time. The stock android mail app is bad enough on it's own but add in sense and you're asking for trouble. Check the power settings as suggested above and move away from stock if you can.

I have NEVER had problems with email not syncing. It is not garbage. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it isn't working for other people. There are ways to offer advice rather than trashing and calling a stock email app as being garbage. Also there is nothing wrong with HTC Sense !

Reactions: NightAngel79

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Wow I just downloaded k9 mail what a difference. I wish I knew about this a long time ago what a great app!

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

droidman2177

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
are you using the task manager at all? if you are watch out cause i was killing the stock mail app without realizing it and that was why i never seemed to get my e-mail in the stock sense e-mail app. i personally think the stock sense mail app is garbage too. It used to be better, but now it more of a hassle to even navigate in it. And as for you Jude, there is more than one person complaining about sense these days. And if you have a T-bolt, then you probably are not running the same version. This is the rezound forum and sense 3.5 is different than what you might have on your t-bolt. I liked the t-bolt version much more. if someone wants to call an app garbage, that is his opinion. What the heck is wrong with that. If you don't like it, go over to the t-bolt forum. I find his post is pretty much right on.:)

SMD

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
First off, yes, I have a T-bolt so my experiences with a different version of sense may differ. But I'm looking at getting my wife a Rezound so I'm here. I'm sorry you are having those issues.

I tried K9 months ago and found it to be pretty good, but then I tried the app Maildroid and found it to be WAY better. I've said this before in other posts but I liked the layout much better than other apps. It's sleek, fast, and the best part about it BY FAR is the fact that if you have ANY questions you can email the developer and he'll personally respond to help you usually within a few hours! You'll never get that care with K9. For an app with almost a million downloads, that attention to customer care is unbelievable. Plus, it's always getting updates and adding new features. Is it perfect? No. But for me, because my business is mostly email based, its been a life saver coming from a Blackberry which was very email friendly and is my single favorite and most used app. I did upgrade to the Pro version which is pricey but the free version is basically the same with ads so its worth a try. Also, FWIW, when my phone is asleep, emails still come through. Hope that helps. Good luck with everything.

NightAngel79

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
I have NEVER had problems with email not syncing. It is not garbage. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it isn't working for other people. There are ways to offer advice rather than trashing and calling a stock email app as being garbage. Also there is nothing wrong with HTC Sense !

This! :)

Also be sure to check 'Always on mobile data' which is in; settings>wireless&networks>mobile networks>see if check box is checked... most likely that is the setting that is effecting this

Reactions: labs point

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Guys/Gals. My opinion is just that...my opinion. I don't like the stock email app in Android in general, nor do I care for Sense. Some people like it, some people don't. Saying that one opinion is better than the other is ridiculous so why trash mine if I wasn't trashing yours?

NightAngel79

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
Guys/Gals. My opinion is just that...my opinion. I don't like the stock email app in Android in general, nor do I care for Sense. Some people like it, some people don't. Saying that one opinion is better than the other is ridiculous so why trash mine if I wasn't trashing yours?

You're wrong! Wait, what are we talking about.... I meant to say, "your opinion is ****" :p

[hide]total sarcasm btw, lol[/hide]