Leaving 4g on

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
do you leave 4g on all the time or turn it off and just use it when you need it? I know people on the thunderbolt turned twit 4g off because of awful battery life.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

didiwags

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I leave mine on. But I am also a stay at home mom so I pick up my WiFi when at home. I think I would just bring a charger with if I worked and used 4G all day. When I run errands or something I have experienced pretty decent battery life so I do not think it is to bad.

Sent from my Rezound

danhartman26

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
I leave mine on. I am in 4G coverage full time during the week, and 3G only on most weekends. under normal use in both areas I get 12 to 20 hours battery life.

Kuro

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
You can turn off 4g??? /sarcasm

Seriously, I don't even bother. Even when at home where I'm within 20' of my wireless router. The only reason I bother with wifi is for the Google TV remote app. Because 4g is consistently faster than Comcast. My battery life seems fine so far

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I have been getting really slow data speeds with my 4g lately. I do leave it on on weekends. But during the week my office doesn't get signal and it demolishes my battery

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Are you guys getting good battery life with the stock battery or with the extended battery? I get about 16-18 hours with the extended battery.

HTC Rezound

danhartman26

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
I am between 12 and 20 hours with the stock battery. Almost equal to what I got on my fascinate. Of course if i play some graphically intense games, it dies much faster; but that was true of every smartphone I have had and my xoom tablet...

NightAngel79

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
You can turn off 4g??? /sarcasm

Seriously, I don't even bother. Even when at home where I'm within 20' of my wireless router. The only reason I bother with wifi is for the Google TV remote app. Because 4g is consistently faster than Comcast. My battery life seems fine so far

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
Hells yea! But you will notice better battery life on wifi, the closer you are to the data source (router or cell tower) the easier it is on the battery. Though if you get a really good 4g signal it may be negligible
Are you guys getting good battery life with the stock battery or with the extended battery? I get about 16-18 hours with the extended battery.

HTC Rezound

8 to 14(ish) on stock and 25 on first go around with my extended

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

HTC Rezound

it really depends on use...yesterday, i watched about 2 hours on netflix and about 1/2 hour browsing and maybe 1-2 hours idle and was at about 50%. 3G will get much better battery life.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Hells yea! But you will notice better battery life on wifi, the closer you are to the data source (router or cell tower) the easier it is on the battery. Though if you get a really good 4g signal it may be negligible
8 to 14(ish) on stock and 25 on first go around with my extended

And this is with 4G on all day? That's really good then. I must use my phone way too much because my battery life isn't near that. With the stock battery on 4G, I would be lucky to get 8 hours with my usage. And the extended battery would last about 16. Either I'm on my phone a lot more than the rest of you or I have a defective phone.

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm getting pretty awful battery even with 4 g turned off. Maybe I'm just using it more than normal cuz its a new toy. I'm hoping in a little bit the usage will even out.

Skynet3132

Jul 15, 2010
www.scikotics.com
i have 4G turned off just to prevent it from possibly sucking my battery during the day. 3G is fine for me most of the time. until i get home 12 hours later and it picks up my wifi. it will last me about 17 hours on average this way on the stock battery. not sure how much life i would get if i never let it touch wifi, or kept it on 4G the whole day.

im usually on yahoo all day with about 50 regular txts, 5-6 calls, FB and google browsing. youtube once in a while. but the screen is my #1 power consumer.

i will leave it on 4g all day tomorrow just to see the difference.

NightAngel79

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm getting pretty awful battery even with 4 g turned off. Maybe I'm just using it more than normal cuz its a new toy. I'm hoping in a little bit the usage will even out.

Once you 'break' the battery in and your usage levels out you will see much better battery life I'm sure. Though it has been an entire month for me and I still haven't put the phone down :)

NightAngel79

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
And this is with 4G on all day? That's really good then. I must use my phone way too much because my battery life isn't near that. With the stock battery on 4G, I would be lucky to get 8 hours with my usage. And the extended battery would last about 16. Either I'm on my phone a lot more than the rest of you or I have a defective phone.

I turn data off while I am too busy to have phone out/playing with.. wifi on at home which saves battery

but yea, battery life is SO SUBJECTIVE! there are so many ways to judge 'usage' you can never really compare.... and your signal strength is like the MOST deciding factor

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I turn data off while I am too busy to have phone out/playing with.. wifi on at home which saves battery

but yea, battery life is SO SUBJECTIVE! there are so many ways to judge 'usage' you can never really compare.... and your signal strength is like the MOST deciding factor

I guess I could do the same. I don't really need to have 4G on all the time. I hot the extended battery just in case I would need the extra juice.

Reactions: NightAngel79

Cares

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
I leave 4G on deliberately at home and work. I can get a reliable 10 to 12 hours before hitting 20% warnings.

Skynet3132

Jul 15, 2010
www.scikotics.com
So as an update to my earlier post, I took the phone off the charger at 1030 this morning, and got the 10% batt indication at 2000 this evening. So this means I got 9.5hrs of juice with my typical usage with only 4g on. Versus 15-17 hours on average with 3g and WiFi only.

Meh.

Guess ill keep my 3g and WiFi on. But I had to see for myself.

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I keep 4g off because I don't have it at my office and I have WiFi at home. Seems unnecessary to use 4g and kill the battery when WiFi is just fine and I don't get 4g at work.

NightAngel79

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
I leave 4G on deliberately at home and work. I can get a reliable 10 to 12 hours before hitting 20% warnings.
It all depends really, if you get a good enough 4g signal then hells yea! lol
So as an update to my earlier post, I took the phone off the charger at 1030 this morning, and got the 10% batt indication at 2000 this evening. So this means I got 9.5hrs of juice with my typical usage with only 4g on. Versus 15-17 hours on average with 3g and WiFi only.

Meh.

Guess ill keep my 3g and WiFi on. But I had to see for myself.

Yea, that sounds about right
I keep 4g off because I don't have it at my office and I have WiFi at home. Seems unnecessary to use 4g and kill the battery when WiFi is just fine and I don't get 4g at work.

True that, though i will say that even thought the speeds are comparable I get better overall performance from using 4g.... of course i have like 14 devices that use my router so that might have something to do with it :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles