I went to trade in for a Nexus and got slapped in the face!

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Well, I just got back from my local Verizon store. My intent was to check out the new Nexus and, admittedly, probably trade in my Rezound for it.

Did that trade take place? NOPE.

<slap> The Nexus is a cheap feeling, plastic phone. The screen appears to be considerably less vibrant than the Rezound. Ice Cream Sandwich was awkward (although I credit that to my not being used to it). The worst part? The phone fell apart in my hand!

While playing with the phone, the back cover snapped off. It could have been from the pull of the security cable but I was lessening the tension by holding the cable in my hand while I held the phone. It was difficult to get the flimsy plastic back plate reattached to the phone. Once I did and handed the phone to the next spectator, the back popped off again. This pretty much sealed the phone's fate for me. I pulled my Rezound out of my pocket and appreciated its solid build even more.

There was so much hype surrounding this phone that I am disappointed and shocked by the poor build quality. The Razor and Rezound put the Nexus to shame when it comes to the quality of the hardware. $300 is a rip off for this phone when all it really has to offer is ICS. Unfortunately, it wraps ICS in the cheapest build I have ever felt in a phone.

My advice... stick with the Rezound!

Reactions: Nerelda

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Similar reports are everywhere about the back cover falling off in store. And shame on you for trying to get rid of the Rezound...but I'm sure if you apologize she'll take you back.

Reactions: Nerelda

SoulWeaponry

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
What? My nexus farts unicorn rainbows with infinite battery life, yours must be a dud?

Did anyone think the build quality would really be different than any other plasticy samsung? It's surprising. Because even though i didn't like the build quality of the charge, i thought it felt alright in the hand. the nexus' back keeps falling off. And i've made sure all the tabs are pushed in and everything so it shouldn't be happening at all. This...is just crappy build quality

Be happy with your Rezound. I'm still trying to convince my girlfriend to keep the nexus i got her. She's been waiting for 2 months to get this phone and all she's been saying for the past few hours is how jealous she is of my rezound. I think i might've made a mistake

matthewjoseph255

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
make her take that back and get a rezound :D... I am happy that the galaxy nexus wasnt as good as expected now i can have my rezound and have pride in it lol

shaneneff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I have owned a lot, a lot of phones and the Rezound is by far and above the nicest one I've ever owned. I have no interest in another plastic cheap feeling Samsung phone.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

Reactions: JRZLocal

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
What bothers me regarding the build quality is the apologists. It was a shame when other Samsung phones were too plasticky and the radios were poor. Suddenly, this plastic and cheap feel translates to "light and sleek."
No, no it doesn't. Why can't phones be judged by the same standards?
I remember the "durability" test on Droid-Life between a Razr and the GSM Nexus. The Razr was being slammed and shot at, and the Nexus was being gently tumbled down carpeted stairs. It's getting ridiculous.

Reactions: RazorDroid

bigcatman

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
What bothers me regarding the build quality is the apologists. It was a shame when other Samsung phones were too plasticky and the radios were poor. Suddenly, this plastic and cheap feel translates to "light and sleek."
No, no it doesn't. Why can't phones be judged by the same standards?
I remember the "durability" test on Droid-Life between a Razr and the GSM Nexus. The Razr was being slammed and shot at, and the Nexus was being gently tumbled down carpeted stairs. It's getting ridiculous.

because people have been waiting so long and hyping so much, that now that they have it, they're going to make any excuse for the substandard hardware. It has ics, great Dev device, jelly bean blah blah blah. I just hope they're happy with it. I'd hate to wait that long and be disappointed lol

Kuro

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
Heh... I've dropped my Rezound prolly a good dozen times. Today being the worst as I felt it slipping from my hands at waist height and subsequently juggled it up to chest height before dropping to concrete.

No damage. True continuing to drop it will lead me to making an insurance claim. But the build quality is easily on par with all my past Motos, which have gone thru Hades.

rkhaudio

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I had a similar experience today as well in the VZ store, but I don't blame the back snapping off because of a cheap build, it just does not like a suction cup in the middle of it with a security cable attached to it and being tugged on... the regular consumer is not going to have this happen, it's not the real world. Found the phone to be nice and light, quick and responsive, but not enough to trade out my HTC yet, but I think HTC can build a better phone then the Rezound...

Reactions: crzycrkr and Johnly

Mtn_Scott

Remain Calm!
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Its the same way the heavy and bulky equals good build quaility. To each his own, some people want a solid feel in the hand, I want a light weight in my pocket. One of Samsungs goals is LIGHT. The Fassy has a magnesium frame to that end.
All phones have thier problems, we each choose the problems we want to work with. How is that HTC battery life?
Did I make my point?

Edit: As far as build quality goes, my fassy is 15 months old, never seen a case and still looks great. I gues the build quality is good after all.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I had a similar experience today as well in the VZ store, but I don't blame the back snapping off because of a cheap build, it just does not like a suction cup in the middle of it with a security cable attached to it and being tugged on... the regular consumer is not going to have this happen, it's not the real world. Found the phone to be nice and light, quick and responsive, but not enough to trade out my HTC yet, but I think HTC can build a better phone then the Rezound...

With total respect... the store had been open five minutes... launch day. One guy had it before me and he was holding the cable too. Possible that maybe a couple other people handled it. I've picked up dozens of phones at stores and this has never happened before. I agree it's not the real world bit it just didn't seem right.

A lot of people disagree though and bought it!

...Sent from my Tab

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I got the rezound for my wife today i already had gsm nexus for a week or so and i also have the razr for my work phone . maybe the back falling off is a verizone thing but mine hasnt fell off yet on the gsm version .... further more the build quality is about the same to me on the nexus and the rezound neither is as good as the razr but they didnt feel overly cheap ether .... dont get me wronge the rezound is defintinetly a great phone but its not head and shoulders above the razr or the nexus.

danhartman26

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
I couldn't wait for the GNex to be released. Finally picked up a Rezound on Nov 17 with every intention of trading for the GNex once released. I fell in love with my Rezound, but i figured I owed it to myself to check out the GNex today. I am so happy that the GNex release was delayed and I picked up this Rezound. It is the best phone I have ever used, and ICS will be along soon enough...

My battery life is great BTW! And let me know how you like being limited to voice OR data when you hit a 3G area with your Nexus...

Mtn_Scott

Remain Calm!
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Did anyone think the build quality would really be different than any other plasticy samsung? It's surprising. Because even though i didn't like the build quality of the charge, i thought it felt alright in the hand. the nexus' back keeps falling off. And i've made sure all the tabs are pushed in and everything so it shouldn't be happening at all.
To be honest this happened at the store I went to as well. You need to keep in mind how the door is designed, You pull out it should pop off. The Security device (with zip tie) pull out on the door. The non security device ones I have fiddled with do not pop off. Again this is about trying to be thin and light.

Hanko

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
After being confused as like a lot of us here, I went to the Verizon store today for the same transaction.

I put the two phones next to each other, compared themside by side for about 5 minutes, put my Rezound back into my pocket and walked out.

-The GN felt like a toy compared to the Rezound. I do agree with the previous posts about the GN's disappointing quality.

-The Rezound appeared to work slightly swifter than the GN, although both were very impressive.

-Not only was the Rezounds' screen brighter and noticeably more clear, but the GN's screen size is very crafty. The overall size is larger as advertised, however when you put the two together, you will notice that the actual size of the working portion of the actual GN screen is almost the same size. Without measuring, the GN's screen was approx, 1/16 taller and conservatively MAYBE 1/32 wider. The GN has a lot of wasted black screen space, approx 1/2 inch top and bottom.

In my humble opinion, once my Rezound gets Ice Cream dropped on it, it will be a much better user experience than any GN, and for this I wait...

plemelin

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
You made a point. The phone does not have to be heavy and bulky to have good build quality. The Evo and Incredible are light phones and are made much better than most Samsung phones. My daughter just got a Galaxy SII yesterday and my wife's first words were wow this phone is made so cheaply. About the battery life, I will bet you that I get much better battery life on my Incredible than you do on your Fascinate. I am a heavy user and average 2 days on a standard battery.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
The display model at VZW never has the back cover of the GN on fully because the cable impedes the cover from seating correctly. That has zero to with quality. For as light and thin as an LTE device gets, the phone doesnt flex. That is important. I ponied up 35 bucks for this device and 2 weeks. So far, hours later, the phone continues to impress. I love my iphone 4s, and i think it is superior to android; however, it is SOOOOooooooooo boring, hence smooth. I passed on the resound, never even.considered it. Maybe I will take a look at one if this Nexus isnt rad and fun...

vinny jr

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
There is no bigger Nexus fan then I, owned both previous phones. After my last Samsung Nexus I was hoping the next Nexus would be a HTC product. I understand that Samsung makes fantastic Software but that is where it ends. The hardware is less then what I expect from a Google Nexus. The Nexus One, which I still own, both T-Mobile and AT&T models with all the options was IMO the best Nexus of them all simply because it was the phone of the times. The hardware IMO is a very important feature of any great phone and this new Nexus falls flat n this respect. The only great feature is the display, that's it. I think I will buy either the Resound or the Razr and very soon we will be flashing ICS on what I think is a much better built phone. How the hell can a great company that has a product that everyone is dying to get their hands on let what I think is a 2nd rate piece of hardware be called their greatest phone .Maybe next year, I ing hate having to even say this next year , it should be this year, no ing excuse for cheap hardware. There are too many great devices to choose from. It is not that ing hard to put together a great built phone and some bad ass software. Google has the software so why put it in a plastic shell with less then stellar specks?? The lack of sd card and the overall build quality and I think that 4.3 inches is what I call the perfect size screen may keep me from buying this phone. Just my opinion.

HawaiianLaker

May 12, 2010
Visit site
its crazy how people are calling the G-Nex crap cuz of the battery door "falling off" when the way it is set up in the store is EXCATLY how it was meant to be removed. all the galaxy s2 phones are made this way and if you went to any other store that had this you would see that its just how the phone is mounted. sorry you guys cant grasp that and are settling for another phone because of that. i personaly love the feel of samsung phones and think the build quality is great. I mean jst for that fact that you can remove the buttons to get more screen is such a huge plus and an innovative move by samsung, which i dont think is a sign of a "cheap" or "poor" build.