If I buy from amazon can I return it to verizon for warranty?

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
If I buy my phone from Amazon I'm guessing that I cannot take it to a Verizon store for an exchange if there's warranty problems? Where if I buy it from a VZ store I just bring it back to them, right?

I'm not talking about the 14 day thing, I'm referring to general warranty issues for the first year

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I believe all warranty support is done by the vendor you buy from. I'm fairly sure Amazon uses a different insurance carrier as well.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Ooooo...really?

That might have affected my decision to buy from Amazon. Anyone know what Amazon's track record/policy are with regards to warranty service?

Verizon's was actually very good. I hope Amazon isnt too much worse.

thumbedmonkey

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I was one of the commentors "over the there". I still say Amazon Wireless is great.

My warranty on the Rezound from Amazon is through Asurion, same company I had when I bought a phone directly at a VZW corporate store. Asurion is "blessed" by, but completely separate from, VZW.

BTW, as for walking into VZW stores for phone problems, after the initial 14 days, you might not get any on the spot replacements. Depends on the phone and their current inventory. Not to mention what the employee had for lunch.

sweaner

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know what would happen to my unlimited data plan if I don't upgrade through a Verizon store? Will I still be grandfathered in?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
as I understand it, after the return period (in my case 90 days since I bought my Rezound from Costco for $50), all warranty work goes through verizon. If you have insurance, it would go through the insurance carrier, like asurion, square trade or whatever.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
From talking to Amazon - they just sell phones with Verizon contracts. Once you purchase the phone you are a Verizon customer and from then on out your contract is with Verizon. If you added insurance to your phone contract it is the same as if you bought the phone at the Verizon store and bought the insurance.

My Verizon store was not very happy that I bought our Rezounds from Amazon on the penny sale, but they understood and the storage manager said he can't match the price and I should get them from Amazon. Said his store would service the phones and help us as Verizon customers. I did buy a tablet and home phone service through the store.

thumbedmonkey

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know what would happen to my unlimited data plan if I don't upgrade through a Verizon store? Will I still be grandfathered in?

I was grandfathered in with unlimited. Make sure you pick the "Keep my existing data plan" (I can't remember exactly what it said.)

No change in price for going from 3G to 4G. Make a practice run through the ordering process - you can kill your browser right when you get to the "Confirm and Place Order" button. Watch the messaging options, family plans (the voice part) often come with those built in. I chose "No Message Allowance", which kept the unlimited messages I already had. Look over your existing contract (it's on your bill) to make sure you don't change anything you might be sharing.

Reactions: sweaner

fooliam

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm currently dealing with this exact issue. The charge port on my HTC Rezound worked itself loose after about 4 months, and I'm trying to get either Verizon or Amazon to admit they are responsible for the warranty. So far, neither one is claiming responsibility, so I may ahve to go directly through the manufacturer's provider, which will result in at least a 2 week window between when I send it off and get it back. I'm beginning to regret going through Amazon to get my phone.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Indirect retailers the phone is warranty under corporate stores. Don't know how amazon works.

sent from my Rezound

ratpackid

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I bought my rezound from Amazon and a few months later it went dead. I called Verizon and they sent me out a new one right away. No issues what so ever. The store might not help you, but if you just call Verizon they will take care of you.

fooliam

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Well, good to hear that from you guys. I asked someone on their online "chat with a representative" crap, and they said it wasn't covered. I wrote them an email, and if that doesn't work, I'll try calling them as well.

pblakk

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
I'm baffled.....doesnt HTC have a one year warranty on their phones like any major phone maker?? Verizon tech support would send you out a warranty replacement phone. Amazon has nothing to do with this. They're just the middle man for obtaining the phone.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Android Central Forums

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Never had any trouble getting replacements from Verizon after buying a phone somewhere else... I get all my phones from LetsTalk.com and VZW has replaced several, no questions asked.

fooliam

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Wrote an email to VZW, and was told it was covered under warranty and just to bring it into any store. I really don't know why whoever I spoke with in their online support told me it wasn't.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800