Navigation and Battery Life

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I just bought and used the iBolt car dock for the Rezound for the first time. This was also the first time I used Navigation on the Rezound.

I used navigation for a two hour trip, the entire time it was powered and connected to the dock/charger. I also manually turned the screen off for half of the trip (just because the screen is distracting).

Anyways, when I put it on the dock/charger the phone was probably at about 70%. When I finally got to the destination and took the phone of the dock/charger, the phone immediately told me that the phone was about to die and was at about 10%.

I know the phone was connected and charging because of the charging indicator over the battery icon.

Does anyone know a fix for this or why the phone would be completely dead after using just navigation while plugged in to power the entire time?

I feel that this is a pretty big problem, as it basically means I would not be able to use my phone for navigation if I want to also use my phone afterwards for more than 5/10 minutes.

Grung

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Had almost the same thing happen this afternoon. Tried to beat the flippin interstate mall traffic and plotted a route through the city. Had it on a standard ciggie lighter charger. In the middle of a section of town where you keep your doors locked and your head low in case of stray bullets, my phone announced it was quitting for low battery. I was thinking that battling suburban SUV moms around the malls was starting to look better. Finally fell back on the gold standard...used the sun for reference and finally got where I wanted to go.

Mistake 1...left 4G on. Mistake 2...had some music going. My old Evo's battery would stay even and even gain a little under the same circumstances. Sounds like some changes in habits are in order.

Kuro

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
Sorry but I think something is wrong. I use Slacker and Google Nav daily for trips as short as 30 min and as long as 1.5 hrs. I have NEVER ended with less battery than when I started. That's with 4g, WiFi, GPS assisted and GPS active. I have always gained battery.

I'm using the vzw universal car charger in a standard lighter.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Sorry but I think something is wrong. I use Slacker and Google Nav daily for trips as short as 30 min and as long as 1.5 hrs. I have NEVER ended with less battery than when I started. That's with 4g, WiFi, GPS assisted and GPS active. I have always gained battery.

I'm using the vzw universal car charger in a standard lighter.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

Im going to have to do some testing then. That dock must be the problem. I dont know why it would make a difference what is powering the phone as long as it was getting power. I guess that dock just doesnt give the phone as much power as it should.

rich.kim

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
you may want to try using a different charger. i think the only time that i've lost battery while using navigation is when i keep the screen on. if you keep the screen off, then there should be no battery loss, only gain if you're charging at the same time.

Grung

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I had to leave the screen on. If I used navigation, it would continually route me where I didn't want to go. I charted a route with Google Maps and saved it to my maps before I left the office. The only way to see my route was with the screen on. This is really the only thing left on my wishlist. Why can't Google Navigation give directions based on a My Maps route?

labs point

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I bought a car charger at BB when I got the phone. Went to Atlanta and then south for two hours. On Google Nav with screen on entire time while listening to music. Had more battery when I got to where I was going. (3G)

Race Director

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
its the ibolt car dock, it's broke. I travel alot and it doesn't happen when the charger is plugged directly into the phone. It charges right up. But put in the ibolt dock and it's won't charge.

It will also turn on WiFi every time you dock it in the car dock. Who uses WiFi in a car?

Very disappointed in the ibolt dock.

Kuro

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
its the ibolt car dock, it's broke. I travel alot and it doesn't happen when the charger is plugged directly into the phone. It charges right up. But put in the ibolt dock and it's won't charge.

It will also turn on WiFi every time you dock it in the car dock. Who uses WiFi in a car?

Reason to use wifi in a car is because Google Maps / Navigation will use it to get a rough lock if its having trouble locking on a navsat

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

Yeah, I think your right. I plugged the phone directly into the car charger and not the dock on my way back home. I had navigation and Slacker radio going. When I finally got home and unplugged the phone, the battery was a little bit higher than it was before I left.

Sucks that the iBolt dock doesnt work properly, seeing as how it is the only dock just for the Rezound. Does anyone know of any other car docks that work with the Rezound?

xxfallacyxx

Bearded
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
With wifi on in the car, what wifi network are you connecting?

I don't think you're technically connecting to them, but google nav is using some basic info from them to get a rough sense of location as mentioned above.

Back to the original topic: I have the iBolt dock (didn't know that's what it was called, I bought mine direct from VZW) and I don't seem to have this issue. Used nav for a 2 hour trip and the phone wasn't dead at the end of it. I don't recall exact battery stats though :\

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I don't think you're technically connecting to them, but google nav is using some basic info from them to get a rough sense of location as mentioned above.

Back to the original topic: I have the iBolt dock (didn't know that's what it was called, I bought mine direct from VZW) and I don't seem to have this issue. Used nav for a 2 hour trip and the phone wasn't dead at the end of it. I don't recall exact battery stats though :\

Verizon Rezound Window and Dash Vehicle Mount - Android Forums

xxfallacyxx

Bearded
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Ah, I was thrown off by the immense similarities.

The ibolt:

2.jpg

The VZW Mount:

htc_rezound_nav_window_mount.png

Thanks for spotting that.

Last edited: