Exchanged Rezound for Nexus

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Wow - I think GO is free sw. Is it too free? I often wonder about such a feature rich package being offered for free, but hey. You know don't look at your horse in the mouth thing.

You think one day when they get everyone hooked on it, they'll start charging and sueing everybody, like you-know-who?

LOL maybe.....

I actually love go launcher with creating folders in the drawer.
I read on XDA that they gather a lot more info then they should and it's supposedly not listed in the permissions. I could be wrong about the permission part though.

I mean one has to wonder, no ads, no charge and still pumping out solid apps and updates on a consistant basis. (I do however have them backed up in the hopes that I am proven wrong).

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I did not hear you actually address any of his points.

A bit belated cuz I got bamboozled by the dreaded boot loop. Didn't get into details for 2 reasons, 1. I pointed out Matias Duarte was involved in my previous response, so I felt it didn't required elaboration. 2. He didn't challenge that fact. To be clear, I don't have any issue w/ the majority of what he opined upon. Since you asked, I will deal w/ the misguided portions. I only address the FACTS, not the opinions, he seems unaware of. Mind you, I can cite factual, verifiable sources, multiple if need be to back this up. By that I mean interviews, reports, articles(even audio for what I cited under highlight in my last post). In order to save myself some time and avoid trudging through months of past events and make a thesis out of this post, I'll skip them unless it is absolutely necessary

He explained his position pretty thoroughly, and he's not the only one I have heard express those opinions.

He certainly did a thorough job. Just keep in mind what you read doesn't make it fact, evidence solves debate, not interpretations and opinion.

for the file system....even if he is completely wrong, there is still no SD on the Galaxy Nexus. And you cant tell me that most people will see that as a good thing. What is your own theory as to why there is no SD on the Galaxy Nexus?

I'll get to the file system, in a few minutes but to respond to what you wrote.
I never said I agreed or thought it was a good move on their part. Also, I have no theory to purport, all I know is what I saw with my own eyes and heard w/ my ears cuz it came from the horses mouth(s). Now to address your request.

Yea, I bet you don't. You're probably stuck with a Nexus, and didn't get it back in time to exchange it for a Rezound. I notice all these "your post sucks" comments are from frustrated Nexus owners that believed all the pre-release hype, which went on for better than 3 months.

Just to clarify, I own a Rezound. I'm not some bitter, disgruntled GN fanboy

Believe me, all the hype over that phone and 4.0 was totally blown out of proportion.

• It's just another phone - in this case just another Samsung. And hamstringed at that with no SD card, and all the non-tested features that don't work. You know, little things like antennas and radios.
The radio issue was a known issue pre release. One of 2 known reasons the Nov. 11/29 date was scratched was due to the fact that they encountered an issue w/ the LTE radio on the GN. Testers reported connectivity issues. Hence the reason they ended up pushing out an OTA, solely to the SCH-I515 model, which featured a recoded the radio. Some testers reported improvement so I assume Verizon was satisfied w/ the result. Obviously, that fact proved erroneous, upon release

And no, MOST apps won't work with 4.0 yet, and you'll play hell debugging the whole thing.
This is not Googles fault. Since the OS is open source, they released the sdks to devs. in advance. Any apps. that are incompatible, fall on the app. dev shoulders. Verizon even failed by not having their minimal bloat apps prepped beforehand

no SD card (because Samsung mangled the file system)

• Notice the /sdcard FS is a LOFS loopback but still shares security and rights with the ext3 root file system. Samsung could NOT figure out how to present 3-4 file systems in time for release, all read/write to the kernel at the same time. This is precisely why the Nexus does not have an SD card slot, and you have to have DRIVERS to see the USB file system.

This was Googles phone, Samsung was simply the OEM selected to manufacture the device for Google. Samsungs big perk was the Google affiliation and the Galaxy name, in addition to the Nexus branding. If you followed the GN closely during the pre release build up, you're already aware of why ext. sd was omitted from the GN. Matias Duarte and members of Team Google went on record in interviews and in a variety of various media outlets, as to why, after it was heavily panned that it wasn't spec'd w/ ext. memory. They had their reasons, none of which involved Samsung, it was their decision to exclude it on the GN. SD support is a part of Android 4.0. If you want to know their rationale, simply Google Matias Duarte ICS or search him in threads in the VGN forum, for quick links to see what I'm referencing.

Oh, and its boot loader isn't locked down to protect us. But let's be fair and give HTC and Motorola 2-3 years, they'll figure that out eventually. Heck, Motorola can't even come to terms with a replaceable battery.

• Yes, the HTC Rezound's bootloader is locked down.

• Do I need to explain why this was an absurd statement. While he was so intent on pointing this out as fact, some were on htcdev.com, discovering it was now unlockable

But don't expect ICS on any of these phones anytime soon. Remember - the Samsung Infuse (last Fall's device-of-the-year) is still stuck on 2.2 - and they promised GB within 30 days of course. Google simply can't police the manufactures - and Apple doesn't have that problem

Valid statement, but I'm sure Apple would if it was open source. As closed off as they are, sure seems like iOS5 has a ishload of problems. They only had umpteen months to figure that out before release. If he has an issue w/ this, why is he in an android forum. Please by all means go support Apple. I assure you Android won't miss him

• Samsung has just announced an indefinite delay for S class phone upgrades.

True, but that's an issue dealt w/ by Samsung as a corp. decision, not as the Nexus oem

Now what part of that is misguided?

Been there, done that

I mean, you can stand there and stomp your feet with your fists clinched and red faced all day, but truth is truth fella
    Again, I am a Rezound owner, not a disgruntled, GN fanboy. Truth is truth, when it is truth, fella.

Reactions: crzycrkr

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
He explained his position pretty thoroughly, and he's not the only one I have heard express those opinions. He certainly did a thorough job. Just keep in mind what you read doesn't make it fact, evidence solves debate, not interpretations and opinion.
So far his opinions make more sense than what I have read elsewhere, and I have not seen any facts (yet) that actually contradict what he said.

The radio issue was a known issue pre release.
Not widely. I didnt know about it till I started browsing the forums here when I was ready to upgrade. And I know for a fact that none of the sales reps here in Denver that I have talked to seem to be aware of it (or if they are, they are pretending it doesnt exist).

Him: And no, MOST apps won't work with 4.0 yet, and you'll play hell debugging the whole thing.

This is not Googles fault.
I agree, but that is still a flaw with the phone since you only have the option of running 4.0 on it. I assume the software Nav buttons are part of the OS? I also assume they probably dont exist in previous versions. So if you want Nav buttons on your phone, you cannot downgrade to Gingerbread.

I am curious as to how replacement launchers will deal with this in the future. I know from my own experience that the Software Nav buttons are not always persistent.

This was Googles phone, Samsung was simply the OEM selected to manufacture the device for Google.
I can accept that explanation, and I no longer bash Samsung for it. Google was stupid not to include SD. The original Nexus had it. It does make the phone less appealing to most people IMO, even GN owners. A lack of Removable storage does not enhance the phone.

I know why Apple does this. I am curious as to why Google would do it though.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
So far his opinions make more sense than what I have read elsewhere, and I have not seen any facts (yet) that actually contradict what he said.

Do you have selective reading? What he wrote is an opinion piece? My response is based on actual events, involvingl human beings in the flesh and blood.

Not widely. I didnt know about it till I started browsing the forums here when I was ready to upgrade. And I know for a fact that none of the sales reps here in Denver that I have talked to seem to be aware of it (or if they are, they are pretending it doesnt exist).

Readingo this was an epiphinous moment, thank you for including it. Now this response clearly makes sense to me. You did not follow the VGN forum, nor XDA forums, on a regular basis in the months leading to the GN release cuz anyone who did is aware of these facts I referenced. On another note, How can you be a member here since May 2010 and not be aware that almost every VzW rep. is absolutely clueless when it comes to having an inkling of what goes on w/ impending release info. Verizon employees who actually are interested in the android community come to forums for info. That's a fact.

I agree, but that is still a flaw with the phone since you only have the option of running 4.0 on it. I assume the software Nav buttons are part of the OS? I also assume they probably dont exist in previous versions. So if you want Nav buttons on your phone, you cannot downgrade to Gingerbread. I am curious as to how replacement launchers will deal with this in the future. I know from my own experience that the Software Nav buttons are not always persistent. .

You shouldn't look at a Nexus device the same way as other Android OS devicea that feature their OS. Firstly, the Nexus brands main purpose is as a reference phone, for devs. & oems, it is a bare bones edition of the Android OS, in this case ICS 4.0. It is secondly, a consumer phone cuz it is a vanilla device running the stock Android OS. the way Google wants it to be, a clean OS devoid of junk.
On screen navigational buttons are just a new feature available in Android 4.O cuz they wanted to bridge GB and HC into one universal OS for phones and tablets. Non dedicated buttons is a carryover from HC. It was put on the GN to show that dedicated buttons are not necessary anymore. It is now available for OEMs if they choose to make buttonless phones in the future. It is not mandatory for future phones. Why do you think all these rooted ICS roms on every other phone beside the GN runs using off screen capacitative buttons.
I can accept that explanation, and I no longer bash Samsung for it. Google was stupid not to include SD. The original Nexus had it. It does make the phone less appealing to most people IMO, even GN owners. A lack of Removable storage does not enhance the phone.

I agree w/ you one hundred percent on the non implimentation of sd on the GN. It does not mean that any other phone w/ ICS has to do that as well. Google added sd support in ICS, though. So don't worry about future phones omitting it. Team Google just chose not to utilize it for their own purposes, as trivial or purposeful as it may seem.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Readingo this was an epiphinous moment, thank you for including it. Now this response clearly makes sense to me. You did not follow the VGN forum, nor XDA forums, on a regular basis in the months leading to the GN release cuz anyone who did is aware of these facts I referenced.
Correct. It is something I have in common with the vast majority of Android users.

On another note, How can you be a member here since May 2010 and not be aware that almost every VzW rep. is absolutely clueless when it comes to having an inkling of what goes on w/ impending release info. Verizon employees who actually are interested in the android community come to forums for info. That's a fact.
Then apparently Verizon employees never come to the forums.

You shouldn't look at a Nexus device the same way as other Android OS device
Then Google should make that distinction in their marketing IMO.

Firstly, the Nexus brands main purpose is as a reference phone, for devs. & oems
Odd that this is not mentioned in their advertising. Dont you think?

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Correct. It is something I have in common with the vast majority of Android users.
Which is why reading opinions isn't always the best way to form your own.

Then apparently Verizon employees never come to the forums.
Most employees view their role as a job, far less are actually interested in the goings on in the various forum communities. If you want proof, dig through the VGN threads from Sept. & Oct of this year. Many regularly joined, visited and contributed on a daily basis.

Then Google should make that distinction in their marketing IMO

If you find the time, read the history of the Nexus line. This has been made widely known from inception.
and introduction of the first release. All this can be answered over in the VGN forum as well. No one over there worth a lick, will argue with this statement, "a refernece device for devs & oems, first, a consumer device, second". That's been the mantra since day 1.

What point your trying to make w/ this is beyond my immediate comprehension.? Do you think they'd sell many phones touting the virtues of the device as being made as a reference point for devs. but is conumer friendly? What idiot advertiser would take that approach in a sales campaign. Like I said, gobdiscover what the Nexus actually is. Debating w/ me all day on points you want to make based on your interpretation is not progressing the topic. You will get a greater understanding if you do some homework.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Which is why reading opinions isn't always the best way to form your own.
It seems to work well enough. I am reading your opinions right now, right?

Do you think they'd sell many phones touting the virtues of the device as being made as a reference point for devs. but is conumer friendly?
That is kinda my point. Google themselves seem to believe this is more than a developer tool.

Like I said, gobdiscover what the Nexus actually is.
What else do I need to know that I dont already know?

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
It seems to work well enough. I am reading your opinions right now, right?
Opinion, no. What I said was advice. Obviously, you missed that cuz your still rambling along on the same path.

That is kinda my point. Google themselves seem to believe this is more than a developer.

I'm going to condense this.as best as I can.. Nexus devices have always been strictly gsm models over the years cuz that is what the global standard has been. Since Android is open source in the nature of it's development, gsm only models, was the method that best served Googles development team and the worldwide development of Android in general. All previous Android builds were total experiments in developing an OS. Google had a vision for what they wanted to ultimately achieve with Android but it eluded them along the way and got fragmented in previous android forays. With GB and HC they finally saw the OS they wanted all along, a marriage of 2 OSes that would finally solidify their future vision of Android, this marriage became Android 4.0. Previous to this the flagship android pohones, the Nexus line was the phone of choice for developers, a niche demographic. As time passed, consumers grew to know Android and saw what oems were doing with it and that turned people off of skins and toward a pure Google expierience. As consumers grew disgruntled many turned to the Nexus line because it was so much more efficient stock than skinned, bloated oems. With the introduction of ICS and the Galaxy Nexus. Team Google finally felt happy w/ their OS development and wanted to open up the OS to a wide demographic they hadn't focused on, no w they would. Hence the GT-I9250 gsm model and the introduction of a new non gsm version, the SCH-I515 lte/ cdma. Now the developer demographic, niche consumer demographic would apeal to average Joes w/out them knowing what this meant in the grand scheme. i have skipped many things but that is the general story. i'm not responding to write a friggin novel here. You want furthet explanation, discover it for yourself. This is all based on facts that are widely known and reported to those onboard the boat and expierienced it as s it sailed along. and was discovered by fans who joined rank along the way.

What else do I need to know that I dont already know?
If you knew the answer this conversation would not exist in it's current form. I've said my piece obviously you have no interest in learning facts, over postulation,.so best of luck to ya. I'm sure others would chime in but this is so played out it's.pointless. Let me point out, the Op that I first responded to hasn't joined this entire episode. If I'm accused of fallacies I will respond, has he, nuff said adieu

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
i'm not responding to write a friggin novel here. You want furthet explanation, discover it for yourself.
The person making a claim is generally the one expected to provide the evidence. Apparently you are annoyed that I didnt simply take your word for it.

If you dont want to bother explaining it then dont. Participation in the forums is not compulsory.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Do you two ever shut up? Seriously. Most pointless back and forth ever.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Actually, I'm really dsappointed to see you read this thread and didn't back the argument up or told him I'm full of ish, if I was lying about anything I wrote. You shoulda chimed in a lil sooner and helped end this thing before squashed it on our own. You were over in the trenches of the VGN forum daily, equally, as often as I was following.events as they transpired and contributing to threads. You're aware of what took place over the span of time that the GN was in pre release. You easily coulda chimed in on the topic instead of moaning about 2 guys debating the validity of events.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Actually, I'm really dsappointed to see you read this thread and didn't back the argument up or told him I'm full of ish, if I was lying about anything I wrote. You shoulda chimed in a lil sooner and helped end this thing before squashed it on our own. You were over in the trenches of the VGN forum daily, equally, as often as I was following.events as they transpired and contributing to threads. You're aware of what took place over the span of time that the GN was in pre release. You easily coulda chimed in on the topic instead of moaning about 2 guys debating the validity of events.

More like I didn't see the value in debating with that guy because he doesn't seem interested in anything contrary to his own opinion. It was a futile effort, hence the reason I didn't get involved.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
More like I didn't see the value in debating with that guy because he doesn't seem interested in anything contrary to his own opinion. It was a futile effort, hence the reason I didn't get involved.

i can appreciate that, I wish I would've realized that myself a little earlier in the thread.