SD Storage problem

jwalker007

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Hey everyone,

I have an HTC Rezound that I just bought coming from the Samsung Charge. I took the 32g card out of the Charge after erasing everything on it and stuck it in the Rezound replacing the 16g. After adding apps music and such, my phone now tells me that I don't have any more room on the SD card. My Internal storage says available space is 1.3gb and phone storage says I have 0.00gb available. When I try and move some apps from the Phone or Internal storage it keeps telling my SD card is full when it shows Total space 30gb and 18gb available. I've pulled the card and rebooted the phone with no luck. Was I supposed to reformat the card in the phone? Not sure what to do or how to do it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone,

I have an HTC Rezound that I just bought coming from the Samsung Charge. I took the 32g card out of the Charge after erasing everything on it and stuck it in the Rezound replacing the 16g. After adding apps music and such, my phone now tells me that I don't have any more room on the SD card. My Internal storage says available space is 1.3gb and phone storage says I have 0.00gb available. When I try and move some apps from the Phone or Internal storage it keeps telling my SD card is full when it shows Total space 30gb and 18gb available. I've pulled the card and rebooted the phone with no luck. Was I supposed to reformat the card in the phone? Not sure what to do or how to do it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

You need to have it wiped and reformatted for the Rezound? What class is the sd card from the Charge. Have mounted and unmounted or erased the content from the sd & storage in settings?

Last edited:

skyjjc

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Remember the Rezound has two SD cards, one 16GB internal with around 10GB free, and one removrable originally 16GB but now 32GB for you...all should be available minus the format overhead.

I suspect you loaded up the internal SD card and not your new removeable card. The internal sd card uses an address common to phones with a sd card and is the default sd card for the Rezound while the removeable address is different. Suggest you check which sd card has space available and use that one.

The internal sdcard can be found at /sdcard AND /mnt/sdcard
The removeable sdcard can be found at /sdcard2 AND /mnt/sdcard/ext_sd

jwalker007

May 15, 2010
Visit site
I do know that the SD is separate. The problem is it keeps telling me the SD card is full when there clearly is 10 gigs left. The two storage areas on the phone are full.

jwalker007

skyjjc

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Thats because the default sdcard for the phone and most apps is the non-removeable sdcard and as you pointed out its full (its called phone storage when you look at it from settings, sd & phone storage). You should tells apps to use a custom folder and point them to the removeable sdcard.

You can use a file manager (either on the phone or on a computer when the rezound is connected as a disk drive) to move stuff around and gain space on the internal sdcard. You can move all music photos, etc to the removeable sdcard and most apps will find them automatically. App data should be relocated within the app if the app supports it.

jwalker007

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the explanation. So how do I get a app like App to SD pro to send to the external SD card, because now it seems to be sending everything to the internal default SD card. Can you recommend a file program that will do this?

jwalker007

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I don't have your Rezound, but I just wanted to add that, in my experience, it's a good practice to reformat the card in the new phone. Each time I didn't do so, I suffered for it.

I keep a backup of my SD files on my PC, reformat the empty SD; then, copy the files onto the SD.

I hope it works out for ya.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the explanation. So how do I get a app like App to SD pro to send to the external SD card, because now it seems to be sending everything to the internal default SD card. Can you recommend a file program that will do this?

jwalker007

If your not rooted, Astro file manager in the market is the best of the bunch.

skyjjc

May 2, 2011
Visit site
You have to tell each app in its settings to store to a custom directory (if it lets you and pick or make a directory on the removeable sdcard.

You biggest problem is likely that all your media files are on the internal sdcard. Connect your rezound to a pc as a disk drive and move all media files to the removeable sdcard. If you don't have a pc handy you can use any number of free apps from the market to do the same but its a litlle more combersome. I use fileman.

Moving all your media files to the removeable sdcard should give you plenty of room for apps and data that is difficult to move. I have 137 apps installed with all that allow moved to sdcard and still have over 8GB (10.5GB originally) om the internal sdcard, 15GB on the removeable sdcard (32 GB originally), and 1.7GB on internal phone memory..

Your media programs usually search the entire phone so they should find the new location of your media files automatically.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
You have to tell each app in its settings to store to a custom directory (if it lets you and pick or make a directory on the removeable sdcard.

You biggest problem is likely that all your media files are on the internal sdcard. Connect your rezound to a pc as a disk drive and move all media files to the removeable sdcard. If you don't have a pc handy you can use any number of free apps from the market to do the same but its a litlle more combersome. I use fileman.

Moving all your media files to the removeable sdcard should give you plenty of room for apps and data that is difficult to move. I have 137 apps installed with all that allow moved to sdcard and still have over 8GB (10.5GB originally) om the internal sdcard, 15GB on the removeable sdcard (32 GB originally), and 1.7GB on internal phone memory..

Your media programs usually search the entire phone so they should find the new location of your media files automatically.

To play it safe & avoid a future headache, you should reformat the ext. SD w/ the Rezound before moving anything from the internal storage. onto it.

Eleni 22

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
To play it safe & avoid a future headache, you should reformat the ext. SD w/ the Rezound before moving anything from the internal storage. onto it.

I have a problem with the external card when I move things to the external card I have to restart the phone to get the images to appear. What can I do so I don't have to do this each time. I'm using astro also

skyjjc

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Not sure what app your using to view the media, but the standarrd gallery app updates its scan everytime its opened. You might need standard folder names for the media on sdcard2 (music, pictures, video, etc).

My gallery app finds new media everytime its opened.

Eleni 22

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Not sure what app your using to view the media, but the standarrd gallery app updates its scan everytime its opened. You might need standard folder names for the media on sdcard2 (music, pictures, video, etc).

My gallery app finds new media everytime its opened.

My folders are named pictures, notifications and ringtones. I'm using I'm sorry ES File organizer. Even in the standard gallery I have to restart the phone so that the pictures show up

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
My folders are named pictures, notifications and ringtones. I'm using I'm sorry ES File organizer. Even in the standard gallery I have to restart the phone so that the pictures show up

If there not in the DCIM folder on sd2 already, throw them in there and open the gallery. I would think they'd show up in the gallery. It's always worked for my pic & vid folders that didn't load in the standard gallery.

P.S. I used ES on my previous phone. Ditch ES for Astro, it's cleaner and much easier to use.

Eleni 22

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
If there not in the DCIM folder on sd2 already, throw them in there and open the gallery. I would think they'd show up in the gallery. It's always worked for my pic & vid folders that didn't load in the standard gallery.

P.S. I used ES on my previous phone. Ditch ES for Astro, it's cleaner and much easier to use.

Thank you for helping me here. I'm having such a tough time here. I noticed today when I plugged in my phone to the computer I get the two pop ups one that says HTC storage and one that just says external storage. I'm gonna say that external is the SD card and HTC is the internal. Inside the HTC storage I have a folder that says DCIM within that i have a folder called thumbnails and all my pictures are there also in the External SD I have a folder that says Pictures they are in there also. I'm so confused why there are in both locations. If I delete them from the HTC folder they come back.

I will ditch ES and try to use Astro

Last edited:

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Anyone know why this is happening.

Yes, there is a likely reason for it. I thought you figured it out since I hadn't seen you follow up in the thread. There was a reported bug w/ the stock Sense 3.0/3.5 roms. Seems like the OS and card reader get out of sync on occasion. Symptoms are in line w/ what yours is doing at the moment.

1.Try this and see what happens. In the market, download SD Rescan. Run it and restart the phone. If it's still occuring. Restart and run it before checking the gallery. See if that helps reset the storage preparing of the reader during boot up. If that doesn't solve it. Power down, restart and check the gallery one last time.

2. You may need to factory reset from the hboot menu. [If it's not a big deal for you to that. Try this before #1.]

3. If that doesn't help and you have Astro. I'll check back and we'll see what you've got going on in your parent directory.

A.). When you say you erased the phone storage. Where are you doing it from? What method are you using?

B.). Are you copying or moving the contents when putting the files from the DCIM into the ext_sd folder. Are you doing this while in the same directory /mnt/sdcard.

Eleni 22

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Ok here is what I did i plugged into usb into computer and two pop-up windows came up. Such a noobie sorry.
I did step one and they are still in two different directories. Here is where they show up twice. I hope this makes sense to you.

Thank you so much for helping me.

Capture-External.png
Capture-HTC-Storage.png

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, I can't tell if there's any conflict by working off screen shots alone. I don't have my laptop so I'm not comfortablle telling you to alter anything w/out doing it myself first. I don't believe the files themselves are your problem. Like I said, it's a Sense related bug. Here's a thread from the HTC TBolt, regarding the issue and poss. solutions to try.

Photos disappear from gallery

Eleni 22

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, I can't tell if there's any conflict by working off screen shots alone. I don't have my laptop so I'm not comfortablle telling you to alter anything w/out doing it myself first. I don't believe the files themselves are your problem. Like I said, it's a Sense related bug. Here's a thread from the HTC TBolt, regarding the issue and poss. solutions to try.

Photos disappear from gallery

Thanks, took a look at that thread but can't seem to find this fix. What else can I tell you about the files in Astro. Or should I just call it a day and have them in both places. I was concerned with the internal memory