5 hour battery??

MustangDan74

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Ive been reading the forums pretty heavily since I now have gotten a Rezound to replace my iPhone and I am aware of the weak stock battery, but this morning I got exactly 5 hours out of my phone before it shut off, I would consider my usage this morning "average" with some internet browsing and texting/emailing.

What are some of the settings I should disable to try and save some juice? I am on the fence about the phone in general when compared to the iPhone, I do realize the Android has a learning curve when compared to IOS so I will give it a chance, but this battery needs some help.

Thanks for the help--Dan

briankurtz79

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Re: 5 hours???

Juice defender in the market is the best solution I know of for someone not to familiar with the android os you can set it to kill data whenever the screen is off and resume when turned on. There are additional filters to let the phone check periodically for fb or email so you still don't miss anything. This can more than double your battery life daily and once set up there's not much more to worry about.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site

Are you in an LTE area? I needed to purchase the extended life battery to combat the rapid discharge while on 4G LTE. Keep in mind ios is 3G thus uses less battery.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site

5 hours of "average usage" does seem very low. It could be a defective battery, though unlikely. Make sure GPS is off to help conserve battery life. Also WiFi will help extend usage between charges. If those suggestions don't help, I would call tech support. With heavy usage (calls, texts, browsing, and gaming), I get a solid 12-15 hours between charges. I do, however, have the extended life battery. I hope it works out. I've owned numerous Android devices and the Rezound, by far, tops the chart.

boomerbsg

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

Juice defender is 50/50.. it works for some, but not others Luke me.. I love my rezound, but its got the worst battery life of any phone I've ever owned lol.

jphillips1963

Banned
Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Disable all location access points will help take screen off auto bright helps turn off Adobe so that it only runs as needed. Don't use any live wall papers. Also let battery run dead and fully charge will also condition battery to phone usage. Turn off WiFi or any sort of notifications when not using the services as they are continuosly searching for service and turn off Bluetooth if ones not being used.

sent from my Rezound using Tapatalk

MustangDan74

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I also went in and looked at the battery usage, it tells me the display is 76%, cell standby is 7%, phone idle is 5%, Android OS is 4%, Android System is 3%, Wi-Fi is 3% and Internet is 2%.

What's the difference between the 2 different Android listings?

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site

OK, first let me say that I am no settings genius, but here's my two cents. I've heard good things about JD. I haven't tried it, but only because I don't think it would fit into my usage pattern. Moving on. Welcome to Android. Unlike the iPhone at one poster stated the iPhone is 3G and has a few other less consuming components so battery life comparisons are going to favor the iPhone. However, let's start at the beginning by making sure you are at full potential. Consider bump charging your battery. It doesn't work out too bad if you have a daily routine where you're not expecting anything over the phone and your not playing with your device. You read about it here in another thread on the AC forums. After you top off your battery some of the following may help extend your battery;
1. Turn off haptic for features you use but won't miss it. This only saves battery if it's disabled in apps you use and that use it, otherwise it's a wash.
2. If your inside a lot use a widget and turn down your screen brightness. Then turn it up when you need it. Like watching a vid or looking at pics. The screen does really well at a lower brightness when indoors. There is some debate over manual changes vs. auto setting for battery life, but you know you. Are you the type who's OK with changing the setting or would you rather let the phone decide?
3. Sticking with screen brightness, use a darker wallpaper and avoid using live wallpapers, unless you really love them. Then try #2.
4. Use WiFi whenever possible. As another poster stated LTE can be a downer, but it's nice to have when you need it. I know you said that you were mostly 3G, but switching to WiFi still saves over network.
5. Airplane mode. You seemed to be home the way your post was worded, but if you're in a poor reception area the phone switching modes and searching for signal constantly strains the battery also.
6. Limit your number of widgets running on your home page. To go one step farther setup a couple to a few scenes. Almost no one uses them (now watch I'll get 10 posts from angry scene users telling me how wrong I am). Set up each scene with certain widgets so you don't have to have them all running at once. i.e. We eat out a lot when go out of town so my out of town scene has widgets for food, foursquare, and gas. I don't need food or foursquare everyday so I turn them off by changing scenes.
7. Get lost, and check in. Turn off your GPS (at least standalone) and change how frequently you're phone looks for updates. Unless you really need to be connected to FB and email you would probably be OK syncing every hour or twice an hour, apposed to up to the minute.
8. Hmmmm I know there's something more I'm missing and I'll probably have to edit the post when I think of it, but I'm all tapped out. There are other threads about improved battery life. One thread starts out as just a list of things you can do to save your battery, and along the way posters have tweaked, added and spun their own tips.

I hope this gets you started, and according to my one friend Android over iPhone any day. All they miss is Siri.

Reactions: tkong

twolastnames

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site

Juice Defender is old tech that won't go away. It is not needed. Go to your setting, and the power setting. You can set the power mode to economy, that will help. It will also shut your 4g antennae off, which will be a good thing in your case. Also, when (if you haven't been) you start using your phone normally, the OS will manage it's power based on how you use your phone, and it will get better. Takes usually 3 days of normal use for Android to figure things out all the way.

Lastly, if you want to take the plunge and root your phone, ScottsRoms have some amazing battery life. I'm at 16 1\2 hours on an extended battery, 33%. Display has been on 3 hours total, and all of that is 4G internet usage (use phone for work). This is on CleanRom. On stock, I would be about around 15% at the end of a work day.

Sax1031

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

If you are indoor turn the brightness down to the lowest possible setting. Don't have the wireless radio on, if you are not using wifi. If you only have 3G make sure your mobile network is set to CDMA only.

I mean these are kind of the biggest things as they deal with the biggest power eaters. If you have data set to push maybe set it to check every 15,30 minutes.

You can tweak the little things to help. Either way the battery life on the Rezound is not the best.

The best bet would be just to go ahead and get the extended battery.

OC Nut

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site

I have a Thunderbolt with a Rezound standard battery, and the battery life drives me crazy. The suggestions above are all good, but for me they were not enough. Also make sure to turn off the screen immediately after being done with it (I use Screen Off and Lock the second I'm done), as the screen itself runs about 150-250mA, depending on brightness.

I have found that the best way to extend battery life is to use the phone mostly on wi-fi or in airplane mode. On weekdays, my phone goes from home wifi, to airplane mode for the drive in, to wifi at work, airplane mode on the drive home, and back to home wifi. When I'm out of the office, I switch to data only when I need to check email or browse. This use pattern will last the whole day without problems.

On weekends, when I'm out, I have to be even more judicious about power use. So it really is airplane mode most of the day, with periodic on periods for the data radio to check email, browse, etc. I also have a large (~1 lb, about 6000mAH) external battery for emergencies, but I use it rarely. I usually get about 4-5 hours of screen-on time for mostly offline reading.

Short answer -- I can get through a day without too much trouble, by being very careful about battery use. (Currently 7 hours off charger, 1:16 of screen time, and at 67% battery.) The downside is that I can't use the phone quite as much as I'd like, or as freely (e.g., with LTE or even 3G on all the time), and expect that it will last me past mid-afternoon.

Reactions: HPBolt

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site

Most 4 g devices will have poor battery life unless you shut down many services. I find it better for me to let my device run the way I want it and just carry an extra battery. I also know that a new battery technology is on the horizon and in a few years blogs like this will be few and far.

ac295

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site

If you root and debloat I'm sure it will be a tremendous help, as was with my Dinc when I had it. I'm sure turning off the 4g radio would be enough to get you through most of the day.

Anyway, I recommend the extended battery. The worst feeling for me was getting anxious about battery life, and now that I have the bigger battery I never have to worry. I used to live on the charger. Now I go through the entire day without one....using high brightness, 4g on all the time, using the phone to its fullest potential. It's great.

magellanous

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site

There's an option under settings>wireless networks>mobile networks that says "enable always on mobile data." By default, this box is checked. I usually leave it unchecked. This makes a big difference for my battery life. Did that on my incredible too. Unchecking the box may affect your weather from updating regularly or may cause streaming music to be interupted but you can always check the box again if you're doing those things and uncheck when done. I found most apps like email, facebook and twitter continue to update regardless.
I got close to 9 hours of average use on the stock battery with the box unchecked, closer to 6 when it is checked.

Reactions: Premium1

xxfallacyxx

Bearded
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site

If you root and debloat I'm sure it will be a tremendous help, as was with my Dinc when I had it. I'm sure turning off the 4g radio would be enough to get you through most of the day.

Anyway, I recommend the extended battery. The worst feeling for me was getting anxious about battery life, and now that I have the bigger battery I never have to worry. I used to live on the charger. Now I go through the entire day without one....using high brightness, 4g on all the time, using the phone to its fullest potential. It's great.

I was getting roughly 13 hours on a full charge rooted and debloated, desensed. Wifi, sync, data, auto screen brightness. Whenever I drove I streamed music to my car stereo via bluetooth, and I listened to music (on the phone or via pandora) at work regularly.

iLLusive

Vzw Staff
May 11, 2010
Visit site

Any other suggestions on improving battery life because I got better life with my Thunderbolt then my Rezound currently and only difference I have in settings is that stupid VZ media manager auto running and built in task manager.

Have blackwall paper and display setting to 25 percent. Phone set to display off at like 1 min or 2 maybe and have no real widgets that do any type of display updates. Have gmail set up normal and FB / Twitter to once a day updates and have network set to 3g even though in 4g again and I get if lucky 5-6 hours of battery life. This is 2 day old phone is the rumor that battery will learn your usage and gain better life after you get a few full charges under the belt? Because I have charged it from almost to point of dead like 7 times and still not improve :(

Yes I know the screen is demanding but I mean this battery is bigger then TB and I have less apps running and updates only once a day. Should at least see 8-10 hours I would hope with how much I am disabling to get better battery life.

Thanks for any suggestions and hope I can get it to improve as I break the phone in more.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site

I bit the bullet and picked-up the extended battery. The phone is bigger, a bit heavier; although, it's much more comfortable in-hand than my DInc was with the Seidio 3500 mAh.

HTCPedia still has it priced at $33 HERE.

So far now, my Rezound lasts all day with heavy-ish use. With moderate to light use, I could go a day and a half easily.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for any suggestions and hope I can get it to improve as I break the phone in more.
I don't know if it was ever brought up on any of the TB forums but you should try bump charging to get a boost to what you're already doing. There's a thread on this forum about it. I'd post a link but I already did a few posts ago.

HES

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
I am known for chewing through batteries. Using the tips below I manage to go through a full day on a single charge on an extended battery WITH Bluetooth on all day. I monitor 4 Gmail based and 1 POP email account. I am on FB frequently and on average get about 20 to 30 texts a day.

General Tips and Tricks

1. Get the extended battery
  2. Bluetooth will eat up battery time.
  3. Turn off GPS
  4. Do not use a live wallpaper, use a darker, static one.
  5. Syncing POP accounts will drain your battery. Try to set the sync schedule to as long as you can go. My pop account syncs ever hour
  6. Data is the enemy - Getting your music from the cloud instead of from the SD card will kill your battery. Ditto for watching videos. Do that when you are on WiFi and or connected to a power source.
  7. Widgets are great. Some widgets can be battery hogs. Select your widgets wisely.

Changes to make to your settings:

• Wireless & Networks
    Use WiFi whenever possible
    Set network to CDMA only mode unless you really need 4G and can get a strong signal
  • Sound
    Turn off all vibrations
  • Display
    Set to Auto brightness or lower
    Set the screen time out to less than 1 minute (I have mine set for 30 seconds)
  • Accounts & Sync
    try to minimize the number of accounts you are syncing.
  • Location settings
    Turn them all off
  • Power Mode
    Set to to Normal or Economy
  • Language & Keyboard
    Turn off haptic feedback

These tips should help you. Like I said I manage to get a full day (going on 13 hours and 60% remaining) out of my battery and my phone useability has not suffered. If you have done all of these things and are still getting lousy battery life then you have a defective battery or defective unit.