Updated ICS schedule

xxfallacyxx

Bearded
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
You guys are all entertaining. The Rezound is a great phone, I owned the T-bolt and was happy with it, but I bought the Nexus. It took me two weeks to root and install a custom ROM. How stupid, should have did it day one. Android 4.0 makes gingerbread seem ancient, that is no joke. Everything about 4.0 is better, don't kid yourselves. I get anywhere from 12-20 hours on my Nexus, couldn't touch that with my T-bolt. It's lighter, slimmer, screen is incredible, it's just better in every way, except for the RADIO. Thank god I live in Chicago and get coverage everywhere. Point being, I will not buy another HTC product again until battery life improves, and they offer an unskinned 4.0 phone with social integration, because HTC is great at that. I am thinking the SGSIII will be a beast, hope they just improve their radios.

2012-02-03_16-40-19.png

via my Rezound with OEM battery, not using any "battery saving apps". Your move friend.

dabombcra

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
It is sad that we were told that the Rezound would get the update in the first part of 2012. Now we read that it is later this year. I bought the Rezound because of the better specs and that it would get the ICS Update in the early part of 2012.

We should flood HTC with emails to get them to push ICS as they previously stated.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
It is sad that we were told that the Rezound would get the update in the first part of 2012. Now we read that it is later this year. I bought the Rezound because of the better specs and that it would get the ICS Update in the early part of 2012.

Think your getting a little ahead of yourself on this one. Where did you learn/read it was destined for a Q1 release on the Rezound? Got a link? All I've heard them say was, they planned on starting the rollout for devices in the early part of this year. Which is what they planned on doing and seem to be.on track to do just. that. Albeit, slightly belated from Q1. Rezound was not in that first grouping of ICS bound devices. Verizon wouldn't release the ICS OTA on their servers till it was put in service overseas and tested on their network. They do the same thing for all their devices before release stateside, an OS upgrade is treated the same way. You'll be lucky if it lands on the Rez any sooner than Q3.

We should flood HTC with emails to get them to push ICS as they previously stated.
Terrible idea, b/c you's be punishing the irresponsible party by doing so. Blame your carrier, they'll be the ones pull the strings. Really if it's such a big deal, root your phone. You can enjoy an ice cream sandwich w/ your lunch today.

bellken

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
from the AndroidCentral review of the rezound - http://www.androidcentral.com/htc-rezound-review

Don't fret, though. HTC promised when it introudced the Rezound that Ice Cream Sandwich is coming ASAP, perhaps even as early as January of 2012. That's good to know, especially if you're hesitant about purchasing a device with Gingerbread. Still, I think it would have been worth the wait to have an exciting new UI to play with out of the box.

I am kind of disappointed that the Rezound is getting ICS later, than sooner, but, hopefully, if the first batches of ICS upgrades go smoothly, we will see it earlier than Q3.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
from the AndroidCentral review of the rezound - http://www.androidcentral.com/htc-rezound-review

Don't fret, though. HTC promised when it introudced the Rezound that Ice Cream Sandwich is coming ASAP, perhaps even as early as January of 2012. That's good to know, especially if you're hesitant about purchasing a device with Gingerbread. Still, I think it would have been worth the wait to have an exciting new UI to play with out of the box.

I am kind of disappointed that the Rezound is getting ICS later, than sooner, but, hopefully, if the first batches of ICS upgrades go smoothly, we will see it earlier than Q3.

Ah yes, the salad days, when Phil and crew were optomistic that ICS was hitting CES, not playing hooky.

xxfallacyxx

Bearded
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Is that on wifi or 4g, that kind of matters. Either way, that is impressive.

Both Wifi and 3G/4G. I have 4G at home, at my job I'm out of the service range. I leave data (CDMA/LTE) and WiFi on at all times though.

The one thing I had done: ROM to ICS, and removed the bloat. Removing the bloat alone on the stock GB rom yields roughly 16hour life span. ICS granted me another 4+ hours :)

patrick1229

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I honestly can say, that the rezound will be my last htc device. I like it, and I've owned mostly htc phones. Fact is I am ready for something new. The ics upgrade promise and fail is borderline bait and switch, and definetly has me feeling like I was lied to. That said, my rezound is a solid performer. Htc you lost one!

bhumps

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
The ics upgrade promise and fail is borderline bait and switch, and definetly has me feeling like I was lied to.

Agreed. Their promise of a quick upgrade played a large roll in my selection of the Rezound. I'm hanging on to a copy of Verizon's official press release on this phone. Figure I'll hit my corporate rep over the head with it this fall when ICS still isn't out.

Additional features

• Mobile Hotspot capability: share 4G connection with up to ten Wi-Fi-enabled devices
  • Operating System: Android 2.3? (Gingerbread) with latest HTC Sense ? an upgrade to Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) will be available in early 2012
I do find it interesting that I couldn't find any instances of HTC putting that in writing.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I honestly can say, that the rezound will be my last htc device. I like it, and I've owned mostly htc phones. Fact is I am ready for something new. The ics upgrade promise and fail is borderline bait and switch, and definetly has me feeling like I was lied to. That said, my rezound is a solid performer. Htc you lost one!

What do you mean by promise and fail and talk of bait and switch, It's coming? If it's a big deal, root your phone and swap roms, you can have a different phone every few weeks or month til you can opt on another.

patrick1229

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
What do you mean by promise and fail and talk of bait and switch, It's coming? If it's a big deal, root your phone and swap roms,

Weather I can swap a Rom or not doesn't affect the fact that htc deliberately put it out there that this update would be rolled out q1. You say root phone and swap roms like it wouldn't require time on my part to learn such procedures. I simply just don't care to do it. I'll let the htc, the company I paid, bring those updates to me.

Luckily its not a big deal, but telling prople ics will be there for your enjoyment q1 certainly boosted their sales of the phone. As evidenced by the poster above, (and in such a small sample pool I might add!) It really comes off as a gimmick. It's really a black eye for htc in my book. Nothing more nothing less.

twolastnames

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Here is something. Go over to the nexus forums, look at all the problems they have, be glad you have a phone bug free, and be glad people buy the nexus to debug new software. As much as even the tiniest of bugs gets blown up, imagine if even 1% of phones bricked because ICS was not ready? I mean, google is getting closer, but I'm not sure they even think it's ready for a non-nexus device yet, and I'm talking google, not HTC. Maybe the 4.04 update will get things ironed out enough HTC can finish Sense 4, and start pushing the updates.

ICS by itself is not game changing anyway. It's game changing when compared to vanilla gingerbread, but who ever had that? The lockscreen is worse than Sense 3.5's, the camera is a rip off of HTC's camera, The homescreen is ripped off from GoLauncher or ADW. The pull down notification is ripped off of CM7, the dialer is pretty weak..... The only thing it brings to the table is Hardware acceleration, and actual dual core control (which is sweet). We are not talking about going from windows XP to Windows Vista here. I still put a homescreen replacement app over top, because the 3rd party ones are still better, IMO. This being said, I'm not going back down to Gingerbread again!

And we can about Verizon holding back upgrades, but look at what happened with GNEX. Verizon seemed to say they are not releasing 4.01, because it sucks, and from the sounds of it, they were right. We are the only ones who even care about this, and I bet the people that even know ICS is coming out, are less than 1% of Verizon customers. Most people are not as ridiculous about phones as a person who will respond in a forum. My wife has a Razr, has no idea there is a Razr Maxx, or a major update being (?) delayed. Verizon is our last line of defense against crappy updates.

Plus, it's still Q1, and early 2012 means before June, not Q1.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I agree that the update should be as bug free as possible before being released.

That being said, I believe a lot of factory resets will need to take place after ICS is released.

xxfallacyxx

Bearded
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I went over to the Nexus forums a week or so ago, just to see what was up in there (they always seem so interested in any thread over here which compares the Rezound and the GNex :p)

There was a thread with someone complaining about phone bugs/issues and people were flaming the poor guy rather than trying to help him. It was shameful.