Rezound issues

mcathey72

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
OK... so my mother in law got a rezound about the 20th of december.... its her first smartphone...she was having issues with text messages showing to be sent to one person but they were actually sent to another...also she had the shortcut on her homescreen for "starred" contacts and when she tapped on someone sometimes it worked and sometimes it would bring up someone else... completely random... after a couple of days of phone calls and manual software updates... it seemed ok for a few days then got wacky again... after several lengthy conversations with verizon and htc and multiple trips to the verizon store she finall opted to have verizon send her a replacement this week.

btw... this is a completely stock out of the box device. shes not interested in "messing" with the way the phone is set up.{lol... my ns4g is rooted and and Im running the "unofficial 4.0.4 with the matrx kernel... LOVE IT}
anyway, I set up her replacement, which by the way was a refurbished unit because she was beyond the 14 day return period, and today she has problems with the screen "skipping" as she scrolls through contact lists or music lists etc... Verizon says sorry 'bout your luck, nothin else we can do."

First:
Any suggestions as to what might be the "skipping" problem ?

second:
when I copied her files to the comp some were in the same drive as android secure, android, system, ext_sd, etc.. which on this comp was drive L: . other files; dcim etc were on a second drive which on this comp was drive M: .

I ejected the phone, unplugged from the phone, swapped the sd card and sim card to the replacement phone, connected the cord to the phone without ever disconnecting it from the computer, turned on usb "disk drive" option, and proceeded to copy the files to her replacement phone. Incidentally, I made new folders on the desk top for each drive and named them according to the drive from which they came: htcl and htcm.

Now, when I began to copy the files, I noticed the contents on the drives on the replacement phone were reversed... everything that was originally in drive L was in drive M and vice-versa... I assume this is no big deal but thought I would ask anyway.

third:
She is considering and negotiating the replacement of the 2nd rezound with an htc thunderbolt... if that happens, based on the current offer on the table by verizon cust service, she will receive the thunderbolt for free with a mail in rebate for 50.00 which she will be entitled to but she will receive nothing further in regard to the 299.99 she spent on her rezound in the first place... but she will be able to keep the rezound(refurbished one with the "skipping" issue) and do with as she pleases... at which point it will be up for sale if anyone is interested... I will post that when it becomes a definite answer.

Thanks in advance for any help and sorry for the book, i just wanted to be thorough.
All the work and effort from the devs on this forum is awesome and greatly appreciated !!!!!

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Verizon says sorry 'bout your luck, nothin else we can do."
I can't really comment on your novella except to say that I wouldn't accept a trade down to a Thunderbolt after spending $300 on a new Rezound. And frankly Verizon's response regarding not being able to do anything about problems with the second phone are unacceptable - if they send her 10 phones, and they all have functional issues, they're obliged to continue sending her replacements until they manage to send one that actually works.

Sent from my Sinclair ZX-80 using Tapatalk

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
1,never had a skipping problem

2, you can map or reassigndrive letters.even if the drve letters change, the "htc storage" label should be an indication of which is internal and which is sd card or just check disk drive space, internal drive is about 10gb.

3,verizon might offer exchange for a similar refurbished device such as the gnex or razr,you can ask. You can also ask for another refurb rezound, they might and probably would accommodate if you try a different csr.

One thing to note is that the return/exchange period varies depending on who you bought it from. I bought mine from costco for $50 on upgrade in November and as such, I am eligible for NEW retail box exchanges for 90 days.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
First: Any suggestions as to what might be the "skipping" problem ?

Wow, it's been ages since I saw this pop up. It sounds like the same issue that HTC and Moto devices have w/ their stock messaging app,r running GB 2.3 3 (Froyo 2.1, as well, no word on ICS). I had it on my DX1 on 2.3.3 but my DX2 never faltered like that on 2.3.3. That bugs a pain in the arse, it comes back even after a factory reset. Try this to see if it's just muffed up, but it sounds like it's bugged up.

1. Longshot=>. Check contacts to see if there are duplicate entries. If she let Google use autocomplete on her entries. It sometimes lumps the info., into other contact entries if a name or address is common causing a messaging issue.

2. Aside from the stock app, it occurred in some popular 3rd party SMS apps like Handcent. However, strangely, using some others it doesn't. Hit the Market and try GoSmsPro, it stopped the issue for a number of people. If that doesn't work, try another before giving up on it.

Aside from that, I'm not sure you have many options unless you unlock, root and toss on a rom like Gingersense. That way she'd still be familiar w/ the OS, or maybe a, bare bones, stock ICS ROam. BTW, SMS on the HTC phones are jacked up worse than their counterparts by this bug. It seens like the Tbolt and Dincs got hit the hardest. Your MIL is the first I've heard about it happening to on GB 2.3 4, for better or worse. I was kinda under the impression it was already patched. Hope someone has more suggestions. I'm drawing blanks on more options for a stock solution.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
on another note, i know that some people were able to get a $100 credit for the current selling price of the Rezound, should you decide to keep the rezound, you should try to get the credit.

mcathey72

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
thanks everyone for the respnses... update:
returned rezound, received full credit for it
purchased tbolt, received 50 rebate(mail in) for it
after a couple of days.... the infamous texting issue again...
I decided maybe it was because of having GOSMS and the addon for the smiley faces so I have deleted those 2 apps and will give it a few days to see what happens.:D

Ravaloft

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
THe only thing I can think of for the text going to the wrong person is probably the most obvious. Double check the phone numbers for the contacts. It's possible that the two numbers are linked somehow, I guess?