Should I do a factory reset after the OTA?

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I read a post on another blog that seemed to imply that doing a factory reset after the OTA was a good idea. Resets applications and what not by reinstalling them. Is there any truth to this?

Thanks!

...Sent from my Tab

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Many times if you do have problems after an OTA the first thing that is normally suggested is a factory reset.

If you aren't currently experiencing any problems I would hold off...

Postoid

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I didn't. I just continued with what battery juice I had left after the OTA until I saw the yellow bar under Battery, held the pwr button to shut off the phone, then recharged the battery and turned the phone back on....no problems this way.

Reactions: tommy27

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
I didn't. I just continued with what battery juice I had left after the OTA until I saw the yellow bar under Battery, held the pwr button to shut off the phone, then recharged the battery and turned the phone back on....no problems this way.

That is a re-boot...not a factory reset. Doing a factory reset is like going Waco on your phone. All user data and apps are deleted and its like it was coming out of the box except that it will still have the latest software version of what you had been running before (i.e. if your phone came with Gingerbread and it updates to Ice Cream Sandwich, after you do a factory reset it will still have ICS, not Gingerbread.)

Postoid

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
That is a re-boot...not a factory reset. Doing a factory reset is like going Waco on your phone. All user data and apps are deleted and its like it was coming out of the box except that it will still have the latest software version of what you had been running before (i.e. if your phone came with Gingerbread and it updates to Ice Cream Sandwich, after you do a factory reset it will still have ICS, not Gingerbread.)

My Bad...should have been a little bit more accurate on the description of what I did.

I held down the pwr button and choose from the Power Options list, Power off to just shut the phone down. Then recharged it and turned it on after seeing the greenie light.

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
My Bad...should have been a little bit more accurate on the description of what I did.

I held down the pwr button and choose from the Power Options list, Power off to just shut the phone down. Then recharged it and turned it on after seeing the greenie light.

Right...that's a re-boot. Not a factory reset.

cyanogen-man

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Ok a factory really set wipes your dalvic face. It wipes all data all applications your music that's not on an SD or phone numbers not on your similar any data on your phone itself adaobe plug in face book all that now to back up your contact go to settings lookvfor accounts sync sync it all with Google it'll put all your contacts in the cloud attached to your gmail now if you can't remember your gmail acres it avoid this at all cost I do know people who forgot their pass words go through Google make sure your password and username is in working order now after syncing you also sync the market this is important as it will have all your applications purchased and downloaded saved to your account now after your sure your synced proceed with the data wipe oh yea as a precaution save as many apps to your SD card as possible just incase and back up your phone numbers to the similar card then proceed with a system wipe and if you want SMS back up get an SMS back up app that voppies it to the SD card because all text messeges are deleted the purpose of the factory data reset is to reset the Tom to factory standards meaning all personal info is deleted your gmail info app text contacts everything that's y I stress make sure everything is backed up and synced before so when you set up your phone it can go through the list and auto sync all your contacts and when you agree to the markets terms and conditions it will automatically start downloading apps you had before especially purchased apps BC you don't wanna buy it twice rite?

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
The mobility support guy at my office recommends a factory reset after any major update of software as a matter of course. I do know that since an OTA update to ICS carries over a lot of data and settings, that were determined by an earlier version of Android, any problems you had could linger if they were due to settings or preferences. A factory reset certainly does reset your phone to a state that is exactly what the provided update image is, so it doesn't hurt the phone to do so -- it primarily hurts YOU by forcing a lengthy process of re-installation, particularly if you have security apps that have to be re-provisioned (RSA Softoken, Google Authenticator, Secure EAS or Touchdown, etc).

Me, I was loathe to lose game progress and such just to upgrade to ICS, so I'm happy that the T-Mo ICS update for the Amaze didn't wipe everything. But at some point in the future I will probably do a factory reset and reinstall of applications JUST to clean out the phone storage of cruft left by apps I've uninstalled. System will probably run better just from that alone.

Postoid is not describing a reset, just RESTART (aka reboot).

Cyanogen-man, your lack of punctuation or capitalization makes it it painful to read what you're posting. I couldn't read it. If what you have to say is worth writing -- and readin -- it's worth doing it proper so that it's not difficult to read.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
armeniomanuel