Decision Made

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I think I have made a decision: I'm going with...the RAZR MAXX (at least initially).

I will give the MAXX a chance to lose this spot. Doesn't hurt that VZW is doing a BOGO on the RAZR and RAZR MAXX (will see if my wife wants to adopt the MAXX as a new work phone). Here is my reasoning, broken down by the 'perks' of the Rezound, then feel free to convince me otherwise:

Screen - Yes, the Rezound is better. But, honestly, is there a true NEED for 720p HD on a smartphone? On TVs (and I'll even say on Tablets and computers), yes, SD to HD is a definite benefit for all. But, with such a small screen, there is really no TRUE need, for me, to have the HD screen (I watch minimal TV/movies on my phone, typically just on trips/vacations). Just because it can be done doesn't mean it has to be done. I do have minimal burn-in concerns on the MAXX, but from what I've read, its more of a temporary ghosting than actual burn-in. I know of ways to fix that. And, Gorilla Glass...nothing wrong there.

Camera - Camera is better on the Rezound, but I don't plan to use the pictures my camera takes for anything more than Facebook or emailing to friends, so I'm not terribly concerned there. Plus, the camera on the MAXX isn't exactly terrible in itself (less native tools, yes, but nothing an app can't fix). And, as I pointed out before, the 'hot' flash on the Rezound (and most HTC devices) is not good. And 2MP on the front-facer of the Rezound v. the 1.3MP on the MAXX is negligible for my use.

Replaceable Battery - With the life the MAXX gets, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get 2 years out of the MAXX and never have to be concerned about replacing a poorly performing battery. And if I do, I'll be the first to curse my decision.

Sound/Beats - I'm a self-proclaimed audiophile....the crisper my music sounds, the better. So, this is one area I will miss with with the Rezound, being a proclaimed 'music fan phone.' The free beats headphones would have been nice as well, but I think I'll manage.

Screen Shots - The built-in feature on the Rezound is a nice touch, though other than on here and in a few isolated situations, don't really have a consistent need for this feature. Plus, some apps out there that offer it and I assume the Razr will work with these unrooted. But, still will be missed to have it natively included.

Sense - I will miss Sense, but it appeared to semi-cripple the in-store models I messed around with. Its getting too big for its own britches, and HTC needs to do something to scale it back with better functionality. People shat on Blur, and Moto did something about it. Its still kinda Blur, but they streamlined it and made it work well. Sense is all I've known, and I know I'll miss some of its features. But, I welcome the challenge of a new skin.

Hardware - The Rezound is built well, and does have SOME better guts (1.5 GHz, dual core, etc). However, as stated above, Sense renders the internals pointless (or maybe Sense is why it has a stronger and dual processor?). Plus, the radios on the MAXX are better, so that's a plus as well.

That's about it. I welcome your feedback, and I will be around at least until I make the purchase, but you'll be able to find me in the MAXX forums if you need me.

Oh, and thanks for all the help as well! Remember, we'll all on the 'droid side!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I got the rezound for $ 50 on upgrade in November , if I could get the maxx for the same price, then I would consider returning it, but atlas, i am sure that they would laugh at me if I even asked.

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
U won't regret it. Battery life and signal strength is what swayed me. I miss my Thunderbolt more then I miss my GNex.

Tapatalk via Razr Maxx or GNex

experiment 626

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
At least you're not falling for the GNex hype. ;) The MAXX is a nice device.It would have been a tough call for me had it been available when I picked up my Rezound. Even now,I'm tempted to sell my Rezound and buy the MAXX after playing around with one instore. The Bionic fiasco really made me wary of Motorola and the original RAZR made too many compromises in the pursuit "Razor" thinness.

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
The only way I'm trading my Rezound is either if;
1.) The Droid 4 gets a battery upgrade to match the Razr Maxx
2.) HTC makes a Rezound, but with a slider

Buying a Motorola phone is a risky proposition, because they backpedaled on unlocking bootloaders and are selling "dev" phones for full price, and they release new phones with incremental upgrades that should've been implemented in the first place.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
The only way I'm trading my Rezound is either if;
1.) The Droid 4 gets a battery upgrade to match the Razr Maxx
2.) HTC makes a Rezound, but with a slider

Buying a Motorola phone is a risky proposition, because they backpedaled on unlocking bootloaders and are selling "dev" phones for full price, and they release new phones with incremental upgrades that should've been implemented in the first place.

I understand the deal with Moto, but I think I'll be happy with the MAXX regardless (I can only think of them adding a quad core to improve on it...maybe an HD screen as well, but NBD IMO). I'm also aware of their tendency to 'forget' about their older models as time goes on, but what company doesn't? I have friends who had/have the OG Droid and the X, and love/d them to this day. I've had Moto phones before, and have always been impressed with build quality, so I'm not worried with that point either.

As for the bootloader being unlocked, doesn't matter much to me, as I'm not a rooter.

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
I understand the deal with Moto, but I think I'll be happy with the MAXX regardless (I can only think of them adding a quad core to improve on it...maybe an HD screen as well, but NBD IMO). I'm also aware of their tendency to 'forget' about their older models as time goes on, but what company doesn't? I have friends who had/have the OG Droid and the X, and love/d them to this day. I've had Moto phones before, and have always been impressed with build quality, so I'm not worried with that point either.

As for the bootloader being unlocked, doesn't matter much to me, as I'm not a rooter.

The Moto of yesteryear is NOT the Moto of today. Don't let nostalgia goggles cloud your judgement. But if that's what you choose in the long run, then good for you.
As far as not being a rooter...what the hell, man? You mean you can live with all that bloat on your phone? :confused:

SpaceHippie

Journeyman
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
I went with Rezound for longevity. Having the bootloader unlocked and a strong dev backing is going to help this phone last me until next august when im eligible for an upgrade. We will have CM9 shortly which imo will make this phone better than the Nexus is every way and will eentually be able to overclock past 2GHZ.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
The Moto of yesteryear is NOT the Moto of today. Don't let nostalgia goggles cloud your judgement. But if that's what you choose in the long run, then good for you.
As far as not being a rooter...what the hell, man? You mean you can live with all that bloat on your phone? :confused:

I get that. Companies change over time, but I don't think build quality has EVER been an issue when talking about a Moto phone.
I just ignore the Bloatware and delete what I can. Out of sight, out of mind. Most of the programs aren't huge, so there's no space issue. Would I rather not have them? Yes. Would I like to have an option to delete them? Yes. But is it worth it for me, in my day-to-day use? Not really.

xxfallacyxx

Bearded
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I went with Rezound for longevity. Having the bootloader unlocked and a strong dev backing is going to help this phone last me until next august when im eligible for an upgrade. We will have CM9 shortly which imo will make this phone better than the Nexus is every way and will eentually be able to overclock past 2GHZ.

I would consider the idea of overclocking these processors past 2gHz to be extremely optimistic. We have to remember that these processors are passively cooled with a tiny heatsink, so heat is an extreme issue. Heat degrades the components and too much will kill the phone in no time flat. Keep in mind as well that not all chips are created equal. When a chip manufacturer selects a default clock speed and voltage, it is selected because ALL of the chips in that particular production run will achieve that. This does not mean all chips can go higher than that. My old DX for example could only overclock to 1.05ghz (stock of 1ghz) before becoming unstable and laggy. Some users managed to get 1.3ghz or even 1.4ghz out of their Droid X's. Same deal with computer CPU's and video card GPU's.

rebelguy

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Basically your comments seem like someone trying to talk yourself out of getting a Rezound to get the Maxx or someone with Buyer's remorse. The only thing better on the Maxx is the price.

I think I have made a decision: I'm going with...the RAZR MAXX (at least initially).

I will give the MAXX a chance to lose this spot. Doesn't hurt that VZW is doing a BOGO on the RAZR and RAZR MAXX (will see if my wife wants to adopt the MAXX as a new work phone). Here is my reasoning, broken down by the 'perks' of the Rezound, then feel free to convince me otherwise:

Screen - Yes, the Rezound is better. But, honestly, is there a true NEED for 720p HD on a smartphone? On TVs (and I'll even say on Tablets and computers), yes, SD to HD is a definite benefit for all. But, with such a small screen, there is really no TRUE need, for me, to have the HD screen (I watch minimal TV/movies on my phone, typically just on trips/vacations). Just because it can be done doesn't mean it has to be done. I do have minimal burn-in concerns on the MAXX, but from what I've read, its more of a temporary ghosting than actual burn-in. I know of ways to fix that. And, Gorilla Glass...nothing wrong there.

Camera - Camera is better on the Rezound, but I don't plan to use the pictures my camera takes for anything more than Facebook or emailing to friends, so I'm not terribly concerned there. Plus, the camera on the MAXX isn't exactly terrible in itself (less native tools, yes, but nothing an app can't fix). And, as I pointed out before, the 'hot' flash on the Rezound (and most HTC devices) is not good. And 2MP on the front-facer of the Rezound v. the 1.3MP on the MAXX is negligible for my use.

Replaceable Battery - With the life the MAXX gets, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get 2 years out of the MAXX and never have to be concerned about replacing a poorly performing battery. And if I do, I'll be the first to curse my decision.

Sound/Beats - I'm a self-proclaimed audiophile....the crisper my music sounds, the better. So, this is one area I will miss with with the Rezound, being a proclaimed 'music fan phone.' The free beats headphones would have been nice as well, but I think I'll manage.

Screen Shots - The built-in feature on the Rezound is a nice touch, though other than on here and in a few isolated situations, don't really have a consistent need for this feature. Plus, some apps out there that offer it and I assume the Razr will work with these unrooted. But, still will be missed to have it natively included.

Sense - I will miss Sense, but it appeared to semi-cripple the in-store models I messed around with. Its getting too big for its own britches, and HTC needs to do something to scale it back with better functionality. People shat on Blur, and Moto did something about it. Its still kinda Blur, but they streamlined it and made it work well. Sense is all I've known, and I know I'll miss some of its features. But, I welcome the challenge of a new skin.

Hardware - The Rezound is built well, and does have SOME better guts (1.5 GHz, dual core, etc). However, as stated above, Sense renders the internals pointless (or maybe Sense is why it has a stronger and dual processor?). Plus, the radios on the MAXX are better, so that's a plus as well.

That's about it. I welcome your feedback, and I will be around at least until I make the purchase, but you'll be able to find me in the MAXX forums if you need me.

Oh, and thanks for all the help as well! Remember, we'll all on the 'droid side!

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Basically your comments seem like someone trying to talk yourself out of getting a Rezound to get the Maxx or someone with Buyer's remorse. The only thing better on the Maxx is the price.

If I had bought the MAXX, you could argue buyer's remorse. But I haven't, so its not.

But, in a sense, I kind of am talking myself out of the Rezound. But, I think I'm doing it for reasons that make sense. I had my heart set on the Rezound from announcement up until as recently as last week. But, with battery life and form-factor being relatively important issues for me, there aren't compelling enough reasons to go with the Rezound instead (which is why I listed the Rezound's best selling points and why those points don't matter much to me, at least relative to the Maxx). The price is better on the Rezound, of course, but I had prepared to pay around $250 my upgrade anyway.

CMRobinson

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
What do you do that battery life is such a concern? You don't watch movies, are sacrificing your love of audio, and giving up Sense for battery life? To do what, play Angry Birds on the toilet for 20 hours? Are you going to compare quadrant scores with your friends? What is so important about battery life that you're willing to give up all the rest?

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
You know, i always wonder why people post in the rezound forum that their NOT getting a rezound. Do they think we give a chit? Go post it in the razr maxx forum and stop wasting our time here.

xxfallacyxx

Bearded
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Real helpful guys. While I can agree being fed up with the GNexus trolls always coming in and telling us how wonderful their phone is, this fellow seems to be trying to make an educated decision.

Now if he wants battery life, it might be helpful of us to tell him that it is possible to get great battery life on the Rezound, even on the stock ROM.

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Real helpful guys. While I can agree being fed up with the GNexus trolls always coming in and telling us how wonderful their phone is, this fellow seems to be trying to make an educated decision.

Now if he wants battery life, it might be helpful of us to tell him that it is possible to get great battery life on the Rezound, even on the stock ROM.

They're not asking for help. They've stated they made up their mind. They should state their reasons there.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm curious as to his hierarchy of features and why he is willing to accept so many lesser features for improved battery life.

I explained them in the first post, at least the ones where the Rezound gets the nod in most people's eyes. Battery life is important to me. I have the DInc now, and spend most of my day on Wifi. But the so-so battery life on it annoys me, as once I'm off Wifi I know how quickly the battery can drain, even with a low 3G signal. Its a mobile phone, not a 'need to be within arms reach of an outlet' phone.

IMO, the main benefit of the Rezound is the screen, and I admit that it's better. But don't say that I'm 'giving up so much.' It makes it seem like I'm forgoing the Rezound to buy an enV touch. The Maxx isn't exactly a push-over phone.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000