Decision Made

pnicho

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I explained them in the first post, at least the ones where the Rezound gets the nod in most people's eyes. Battery life is important to me. I have the DInc now, and spend most of my day on Wifi. But the so-so battery life on it annoys me, as once I'm off Wifi I know how quickly the battery can drain, even with a low 3G signal. Its a mobile phone, not a 'need to be within arms reach of an outlet' phone.

IMO, the main benefit of the Rezound is the screen, and I admit that it's better. But don't say that I'm 'giving up so much.' It makes it seem like I'm forgoing the Rezound to buy an enV touch. The Maxx isn't exactly a push-over phone.

I don't think you're going to regret getting the Maxx one bit. Since getting my Dinc1 at launch, I've gone through it, the Thunderbolt, the Droid Charge, Rezound, and now Maxx. I got the Thunderbolt because I wanted a a bigger screen but the battery and reboots were horrible, so I went to the Charge after a couple of months. That was fine, but I just wanted something snappier so I got the Rezound. This was the first phone I completely loved since my Dinc. The battery life was pretty impressive especially by 4g standards. But I started going back to school this semester and needed something to last me through school and work. I decided to get the Maxx during the BOGO deal so my fiancee could get one too. I have been so impressed with this phone so far that I don't miss my Rezound at all. I've never been a fan of Motorola (been a HTC guy myself) but I do love this phone. Even though it's clocked slower than the Rezound, it's so much snappier and it's probably because Sense is bogging it down. I don't think you'll be disappointed by either phone because their both great, but if it's coming down to battery life then you're not going to regret get the Maxx.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I would consider the idea of overclocking these processors past 2gHz to be extremely optimistic. We have to remember that these processors are passively cooled with a tiny heatsink, so heat is an extreme issue. Heat degrades the components and too much will kill the phone in no time flat. Keep in mind as well that not all chips are created equal. When a chip manufacturer selects a default clock speed and voltage, it is selected because ALL of the chips in that particular production run will achieve that. This does not mean all chips can go higher than that. My old DX for example could only overclock to 1.05ghz (stock of 1ghz) before becoming unstable and laggy. Some users managed to get 1.3ghz or even 1.4ghz out of their Droid X's. Same deal with computer CPU's and video card GPU's.

Well, w/ Ziggys kernel the S3 is stable, maxxing out @1.82ghz. I think the ceiling is 1.83. I don't see anyone pushing it much further than that. I certainly wouldn't expect to see it myself.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
.......I just ignore the Bloatware and delete what I can. Out of sight, out of mind. Most of the programs aren't huge, so there's no space issue. Would I rather not have them? Yes. Would I like to have an option to delete them? Yes. But is it worth it for me, in my day-to-day use? Not really.

If you debloated. You'd see why it's worth it, in day to day use, even minute to minute use, for that matter. Personally, I don't know how you could say, out of sight, out of mind?

Deron Baker

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I think I have made a decision: I'm going with...the RAZR MAXX (at least initially).

Screen - Yes, the Rezound is better. But, honestly, is there a true NEED for 720p HD on a smartphone? On TVs (and I'll even say on Tablets and computers), yes, SD to HD is a definite benefit for all. But, with such a small screen, there is really no TRUE need, for me, to have the HD screen (I watch minimal TV/movies on my phone, typically just on trips/vacations). Just because it can be done doesn't mean it has to be done. I do have minimal burn-in concerns on the MAXX, but from what I've read, its more of a temporary ghosting than actual burn-in. I know of ways to fix that. And, Gorilla Glass...nothing wrong there.

Sound/Beats - I'm a self-proclaimed audiophile....the crisper my music sounds, the better. So, this is one area I will miss with with the Rezound, being a proclaimed 'music fan phone.' The free beats headphones would have been nice as well, but I think I'll manage.

I used to own the Droid Razr and ditched it in favor or the Rezound + Extended Battery. Mostly because of the Razr's poor battery life. Also I felt the razr was too thin to hold comfortably.

Other than that, the Razr was an excellent phone. The screen may not have the resolution that the Rezound does, but it's display is very good. It looks different from the Rezound.... Not better or worse, just different. I will say that the razr seemed to display web pages with a little better formatting than the Rezound does. The web pages seems to "fit" into the screen better than rezound.

As far as the beats us concerned, I have read that most of it is from a software sound equalizer. You can achieve a comparable output with an app like Power Amp pro. And there are a large selection of quality earbuds cheaper than beats earbuds, yet with equal sound quality. I am using the Klipsch s4 earbuds since my used Rezound did not include the beats earbuds. Fantastic earbuds.

One last thing I noted is that the Razr has a little faster performance than the Rezound.

Sent from HTC Rezound using Tapatalk.

WilburNJ

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
CMRobinson,

Your post was a subtle but very well-reasoned critique of the OP's arguments. Bravo!

Then you threw in that Angry Birds question and I couldn't stop laughing. :)

What do you do that battery life is such a concern? You don't watch movies, are sacrificing your love of audio, and giving up Sense for battery life? To do what, play Angry Birds on the toilet for 20 hours? Are you going to compare quadrant scores with your friends? What is so important about battery life that you're willing to give up all the rest?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
What do you do that battery life is such a concern? You don't watch movies, are sacrificing your love of audio, and giving up Sense for battery life? To do what, play Angry Birds on the toilet for 20 hours? Are you going to compare quadrant scores with your friends? What is so important about battery life that you're willing to give up all the rest?

Why do you need more reasons? 20 hours of playing angry birds on the crapper isn't enough of a reason to ditch the Rezound, for you. He sounds like a man who has lifes priorities in good order if you ask me.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I think the main thing I wouldn't like about the MAXX is the camera. I use my phone as my digital camera (which is why I have a 4S for the time being). I've been debating on a Rezound or MAXX but the battery life of the Rezound and the camera of the MAXX are keeping me away. I had a Razr for about a month. I absolutely LOVED it - more so than the Nexus - but the battery was awful and the camera sucked. Now the battery issue is fixed but I don't know about the camera. It was so bloody slow.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I think the main thing I wouldn't like about the MAXX is the camera. I use my phone as my digital camera (which is why I have a 4S for the time being). I've been debating on a Rezound or MAXX but the battery life of the Rezound and the camera of the MAXX are keeping me away. I had a Razr for about a month. I absolutely LOVED it - more so than the Nexus - but the battery was awful and the camera sucked. Now the battery issue is fixed but I don't know about the camera. It was so bloody slow.

It's their achilles heel, the most consistent and poorest feature of Moto phones, Maxx is no exception. Even the cameras on the Razr variants in Asia are abyssmal.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
It's their achilles heel, the most consistent and poorest feature of Moto phones, Maxx is no exception. Even the cameras on the Razr variants in Asia are abyssmal.

Yeah, that's kind of what I figured about it. That's the main reason I haven't gone back. That phone was a monster, but I don't have a camera and use my phone for it, and that camera was about as bad as one of my old flip phones it was so slow. If it was a stationary object, it was awesome. But kids, animals, etc., all move before that thing could take a picture. My DInc 2 was light years better. That's kind of why if I'm going to switch, I'm leaning more towards the Rezound with a spare battery.

idiotekniques

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
the camera is the dealbreaker for me too. i have a great dslr but what do i have on me all the time? my phone. so it came time for it to take good pictures. best android camera is on the rezound.

CMRobinson

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm only curious because for a moment I considered the Razr. I have an upgrade and was seriously looking at something other than the Rezound. I just can't put the Razr over the Rezound if all you can say is, " I can watch my lesser screen, listen to Ho-hum music, and take poorer quality pictures longer than you because my battery is bigger." Let us know how it goes, best of luck?

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm only curious because for a moment I considered the Razr. I have an upgrade and was seriously looking at something other than the Rezound. I just can't put the Razr over the Rezound if all you can say is, " I can watch my lesser screen, listen to Ho-hum music, and take poorer quality pictures longer than you because my battery is bigger." Let us know how it goes, best of luck?

Well, next time you're one a plane and you go to watch an HD movie on your awesome screen, and your battery dies 1/4 of the way through, or you try to snap a picture of a butterfly but it flew away while Sense hindered your camera app from opening quick enough, report back to us, mmmk?

And listen to ho-hum music? You evidently have no idea what beats is and does. It's not the end-all to good sound quality.

CMRobinson

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Buy a portable battery. Good luck with the Razr. You were the one who said the Rezound was superior in audio quality, not me. My wife has a Bionic, so the Razr needs to be a pretty big step up from that.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Well, next time you're one a plane and you go to watch an HD movie on your awesome screen, and your battery dies 1/4 of the way through, or you try to snap a picture of a butterfly but it flew away while Sense hindered your camera app from opening quick enough, report back to us, mmmk?

And listen to ho-hum music? You evidently have no idea what beats is and does. It's not the end-all to good sound quality.

burwil

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Uggghhh.....pentile screen at it's worst. When I visited a Verizon B&M to make a decision between the gnex, rezound and razr, the razr was eliminated in about 30 seconds. Decision made.

idiotekniques

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Well, next time you're one a plane and you go to watch an HD movie on your awesome screen, and your battery dies 1/4 of the way through

if on a plane or say a camping trip, i'll bring a New Trent with me. Or a spare battery.

In those situations it's not really a problem to have average battery life because it's easy to plan ahead.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
if on a plane or say a camping trip, i'll bring a New Trent with me. Or a spare battery.

In those situations it's not really a problem to have average battery life because it's easy to plan ahead.

So now, you have to bring your phone and an external/spare battery (as long as they're charged as well and you remember them, so more time needed to 'plan ahead'). Then you have a spare battery hanging off your phone by a cord, which will be fun to also hold if you make a phone call.

But you're right, that's better/more convenient than a slim phone with a battery that will last the better part of two days.

And CM, my comment was partially about beats, but included the lack of beats headphones. The beats EQ on the phone is a nice feature, but a good EQ from the market will be a suitable replacement.

I understand the hate due to a post on the Rezound forums, saying I've decided on the MAXX, but I had been on here for a while with plans to get the Rezound and then debating the Rezound and the MAXX.

Battery life is important to me. I am on Wifi a lot of the time, but when I'm not, I'm streaming music, playing games, listening to music, making calls, sending texts, email, some TV/movies, etc. With HTC's history of sh*t battery life (experienced first hand on my DInc, even though I was always able to be the exception, not the rule), I don't want to deal with that on a 4G power guzzler. I don't want a massive, extended battery jutting out of my pocket and I don't want to have to worry about carrying an extra battery of any type either.

Again, to some, the MAXX screen may look like absolute crap, but to me it doesn't look that bad. As nice as the Rezound? No. But good enough? Yes.

CMRobinson

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Absolutely no hate from me, I'm just examining all angles in case you found something I missed. I'm an old hat at battery conservation having gone through an Incredible and a Thunderbolt. I will say that if the Rezound takes as big a step forward from the TB as the TB did from the Dinc as far as battery life is concerned, you will have made a mistake in choosing the Razr. My rooted TB could probably handle 14+ hours of moderate to heavy Facebook, text, and music for my workout without needing a charge. I expect the developers will work the same magic with the Rezound, given time. Will it last two days? Not just no, but NO. Why would you need it to? I wish you the best, hope you enjoy your phone, and if your feathers are ruffled, straighten them out, its just a Damn phone.

xxfallacyxx

Bearded
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I love when people complain about the size of the phone.

The 1980s are calling, they say suck it up:

1980s-cell-phone.jpg

When did a candy bar phone become too big to fit in a pocket? I suppose complaining about the size of a cartoon of cigarettes is prudent now as well. Or the packs of chewing gum these days!

I suppose it's in the name of consumerism and fashion. Can't understand that stuff myself, I purchased the phone on it's technical merits knowing that a smart phone will not have the kind of battery life the dumb phones of yesteryear had until there is significant improvement in battery technology. Then again, a few tweaks and I get a full 24 hours use out of the Rezound. In the end, I guess the OP has made their decision and we can let the thread die.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I love when people complain about the size of the phone.

The 1980s are calling, they say suck it up:

Click to view quoted image

When did a candy bar phone become too big to fit in a pocket? I suppose complaining about the size of a cartoon of cigarettes is prudent now as well. Or the packs of chewing gum these days!

I suppose it's in the name of consumerism and fashion. Can't understand that stuff myself, I purchased the phone on it's technical merits knowing that a smart phone will not have the kind of battery life the dumb phones of yesteryear had until there is significant improvement in battery technology. Then again, a few tweaks and I get a full 24 hours use out of the Rezound. In the end, I guess the OP has made their decision and we can let the thread die.

Am I to assume that any phone that has to be transported in it's own 3 lbs. briefcase will have poor battery life:).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
someguyredeye