getting a rezound

sw33tooth

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
So after 4 replacement nexus's I pretty much demanded a rezound and verizon went for it. My question is, how is the radio? my nexus radio is garbage, I can stand next to someone and get 20% less signal then they do

Last edited:

atlantagreg

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
If you're talking about cell signal, it's good. I got one a few days ago and the signal strength is just as good as my old phone (Samsung Galaxy S). I've only made a handful of call so far on it but so far haven't dropped a call yet. Call clarity is pretty decent - not quite as clear as my Galaxy was in terms of the earpiece, but the people on the other end say I sound fine.

I've posted a comment about how some apps are kind of buggy on it, though. You might want to read the thread about Youtube video playback being buggy on some units (mine only works in 3G or WiFi but not 4G for playback), and on mine, Skype video only works with the camera being held in landscape (sideways). Overall though with the exception of these bugs, it seems to be a good phone other than the size (thickness) being a bit above average.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
from what I have read, those who have had radio problems on the gnex that switched to the Rezound seem to be happy.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
If you're talking about cell signal, it's good. I got one a few days ago and the signal strength is just as good as my old phone (Samsung Galaxy S). I've only made a handful of call so far on it but so far haven't dropped a call yet. Call clarity is pretty decent - not quite as clear as my Galaxy was in terms of the earpiece, but the people on the other end say I sound fine.

I've posted a comment about how some apps are kind of buggy on it, though. You might want to read the thread about Youtube video playback being buggy on some units (mine only works in 3G or WiFi but not 4G for playback), and on mine, Skype video only works with the camera being held in landscape (sideways). Overall though with the exception of these bugs, it seems to be a good phone other than the size (thickness) being a bit above average.

The skype being only in landscape is the same problem I had with my thunderbolt on gb. The leaked release allowed it to run in portrait or landscape, but that ran on 2.2. Were you able to get skype in portrait on your gs?

atlantagreg

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
The skype being only in landscape is the same problem I had with my thunderbolt on gb. The leaked release allowed it to run in portrait or landscape, but that ran on 2.2. Were you able to get skype in portrait on your gs?

As of this moment, Skype only runs on my Rezound in landscape orientation correctly. The phone has the latest firmware updates to it, and it's the newest version of Skype. The Verizon Tech I talked to on the phone tried it out on a test Rezound they had in his office with the latest updates as well, and he experienced the same issue. So right now, you CAN use Skype on it - but not in portrait orientation (at least on my phone and his). I haven't had the chance to try Oovoo or another service yet, though.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
As of this moment, Skype only runs on my Rezound in landscape orientation correctly. The phone has the latest firmware updates to it, and it's the newest version of Skype. The Verizon Tech I talked to on the phone tried it out on a test Rezound they had in his office with the latest updates as well, and he experienced the same issue. So right now, you CAN use Skype on it - but not in portrait orientation (at least on my phone and his). I haven't had the chance to try Oovoo or another service yet, though.

I guess my question is, is this a limitation because of the device, or does skype not support portrait model?

burwil

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Signal with both voice and data is so much better than the gnex it ain't funny.

Sent from my HTC Rezound.

Vondutch67

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I just swapped my GNex for a Rezound earlier this week b/c of the horrible radio issues my GNex was having. My short answer to your question is:

The difference between the radios in the GNex vs the Rezound are night and day, the Rezound is shockingly good. I get signal everywhere, 4G in places where I've never gotten it before (including Droid Charge and Razr), great "call quality" and no dropped calls in 6 days of continuous use. Oh, and before I forget, no annoying, high-pitched squealing sound like my GNex.

In short, I couldn't be happier with my Rezound.

sw33tooth

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Thanks lot guys,I'm so excited to get this phone that I went ahead and ordered 80 bucks in accessories.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

atlantagreg

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
I guess my question is, is this a limitation because of the device, or does skype not support portrait model?

The Verizon tech seemed to think it was a Skype issue and not one for the phone. But with youtube videos not playing in 4G mode, he seemed to blame it on the latest phone updated (the phone's software) itself. Honestly he didn't go into tons of details as to why he blamed the phone for youtube issue and the Skype for the other but after tinkering with his own phone on it, that was his conclusion. He did again say that "eventually" Skype "should" do an update that would fix it, but it sometimes takes time, and he said that people who have this issue should make a point of commenting on their phone make/model and issue in the Android app store comments area because it gets the attention of app developers more than just sending emails to the company.

Regarding signal strength again - had to make several calls today in several locations - I still have not dropped a single call yet, although one did get a little "digital-garbled" sounding.

I really was almost considering swapping this phone for an iPhone 4s (yeah, I know, shoot me) simply because of how large this thing is thickness/girth wise (I carry my phones in my front pants pocket). While the 4s doesn't have 4G or the nicer screen size, it's more pocketable and the apps work correctly in it, so it was a close call. A friend today pointed me out to the fact that the Verzon phone cases are very bulky though, and it added a lot of extra size/girth to the Rezound. I'm not sure if my link will work since I'm newer here, but Amazon sells a case for the Rezound called the "barely there" case by case logic. It's a very slim case that isn't super touch like a otter box, but does offer basic protection and adds almost no bulk to the phone, so it's also something to consider in terms of an accessory. I ordered one and I think it will cause me to decide to keep my Rezound afterall. LINK to it.