Can't Rent Movies from Google if Rooted

tehsquishmeister

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Strange, I would think this would influence people to pirate movies.

I can't rent a movie on my phone? Oh, ok, no problem, I'll just go get it for free then. \o/

When will these companies realize DRM does nothing but inconvenience legitimate users.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Not to rub it in, but I can rent and play movies just fine and I am rooted with an Unlocked bootloader.
What normally happens when you try to rent....are you rejected?

Could it be that Google is turning a blind eye to those that have a GN with stock ICS?

I found a hacked version of Google Movies that worked when I had my rooted DX but it may not work since everything was updated to the "Google PLAY" brand. Would someone be willing to PM me their gmail address so I can send it? I haven't had a reson to use it since I am no longer using my DX, but it may work on the Rezound for those that want to try it.

vxaxv17

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Id hardly blame google in this whole thing. Its almost surely the fault of the movie companies requiring this of google. Remember when netflix came out for android and it only supported like 3 phones because there was no real way to do DRM?

Sure, you can give the app 1 star all you want because of this but honestly i dont see it changing anything. If they changed the app to work on rooted devices there would likely end up being no movies to rent anymore.

Drootz

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
So if superuser is not on the phone we can get a movie? Where would I find a "script" like that?

I have heard the App OTA Rootkeeper by supercurio does just this. I came across a thread complaining about how google was blocking wallet on rooted phones and someone said to use the above app.

In reading about the app it basically hides root temporarily and then you can un-hide it later to restore it.

It was designed to be able to keep root when d/l'ing ota's

Link to app if your interested to try it out (not sure if it works for the Rezound but someone with an evo 3d said it worked for them so it's at least worth a try)

OTA RootKeeper | AppBrain Android Market

Hope this helps :cool:

ltredbeard

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I absolutely agree with you there. The same type of argument/objections can be applied to the fact that rooted users can no longer use Wallet apparently. I mean really? Use a pin. Just use a freaking pin.

i dont want to hijack this thread, but im rooted and wallet works just fine for me.

in reply to the OP, as a rooted user you should have understood PRIOR to rooting that it would come with benefits and some restrictions. if you want to rent movies either turn to the rooted community for a solution or un-root, but dont complain about something you chose to do to your phone. that's equivalent to someone complaining their xbox wont work online because they hacked it.

android is an open source, but last time i checked google didnt promise that you could run custom roms on phones they didnt manufacture.

ilhe1s

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
SOLUTION

Listen to DROOTZ!

The app is Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper.

It works great with Flixster Ultraviolet streaming. I haven't tried it with Google Movies, but I'm sure it would work.

Reactions: ScandaLeX

buckifvr

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I have heard the App OTA Rootkeeper by supercurio does just this. I came across a thread complaining about how google was blocking wallet on rooted phones and someone said to use the above app.

In reading about the app it basically hides root temporarily and then you can un-hide it later to restore it.

It was designed to be able to keep root when d/l'ing ota's

Link to app if your interested to try it out (not sure if it works for the Rezound but someone with an evo 3d said it worked for them so it's at least worth a try)

OTA RootKeeper | AppBrain Android Market

Hope this helps :cool:

OTA Rootkeeper works great with my rooted Rezound and Play Movies. Thank you

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk

Air Force One

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
I just use this modified version of the Google videos app and it works fine for me:

Google Videos with Root Check Disabled - SDX-Developers Forum

I use the .13 apk version on my rooted Thunderbolt but the thread says it works on any Android device. I used this as recently as yesterday and it worked perfectly with no need for a second app to make it work. It's identical to the Google videos app...just has root check disabled.

Air Force One

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
I just use this modified version of the Google videos app and it works fine for me:

Google Videos with Root Check Disabled - SDX-Developers Forum

I use the .13 apk version on my rooted Thunderbolt but the thread says it works on any Android device. I used this as recently as yesterday and it worked perfectly with no need for a second app to make it work. It's identical to the Google videos app...just has root check disabled.

One thing I forgot to mention about this though is if you download this version of Google videos, it will now show as needing to be updated in the Market...DO NOT update it as you will lose the disabled root check.

Jet300

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Curious. No problem renting movies or buying music, books, etc on my rooted Galaxy Nexus using stock ROM.

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I think you can use the OTA Rootkeeper app to hide rooting, while you use your device for movie rentals. I have it on my DX, and have used it only t protect root during OTA upgrades, but the developer's description alludes to the movie rental thing.

Jet300

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
What ROM are you using? I'm on Codename 1.5 and it states I'm rooted.

VZW Nexus. Stock 4.0.2. Boot loader is unlocked and phone rooted. No custom ROM.

Google Music also works for me as does Wallet including prepaid card.

I have verified I still have root. No idea why I haven't run into an issue. Not complaining though. :)

mallyuk

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
It's like, you also can't watch them via YouTube on your PC if you have local admin rights, cos you could rip them. Oh wait...

Stupid situation... but not googles fault. If this is what it took to get movie rentals on Android, then I'll grudgingly accept the rediculousness of it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae