Can't Rent Movies from Google if Rooted

idiotekniques

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
flying tomorrow and went to rent a movie from the android market. had to download play movies. when i installed that, said i could not rent movies because i was rooted.

google getting more like apple. screw them.

give Play Movies a 1 star review, at this point more than half of them are 1-star reviews from rooted people that pretty much want to legitimately PAY to rent a movie. like myself.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
They're assuming(mostly correctly) that a rooted user may circumvent their DRM and copy the protected movie content. So they're protecting their investment...makes sense to me. Put a script on your phone to move superuser.apk to a backup directory. Watch your movie, then move it back...

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
They're assuming(mostly correctly) that a rooted user may circumvent their DRM and copy the protected movie content. So they're protecting their investment...makes sense to me. Put a script on your phone to move superuser.apk to a backup directory. Watch your movie, then move it back...

The situation here is crap. As Android users, we pretty much need to root to get anything done. But in order to rent movies, we're not allowed to root. Would people give up rooting for movie rentals? No. So the only other paths are either pirating, or no rental at all, which means no monetary transaction. Ball's in your court, Google.

Paradocks

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
The situation here is crap. As Android users, we pretty much need to root to get anything done. But in order to rent movies, we're not allowed to root. Would people give up rooting for movie rentals? No. So the only other paths are either pirating, or no rental at all, which means no monetary transaction. Ball's in your court, Google.

I'm not rooted and I get everything done that I want to get done. People who root their phones constitute a small minority of users. Why should Google bend over backwards to appease a tiny percentage of users?

Sent from my Rezound using Tapatalk

Reactions: ScandaLeX

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm not rooted and I get everything done that I want to get done. People who root their phones constitute a small minority of users. Why should Google bend over backwards to appease a tiny percentage of users?

Not sure what you're reading. Who asked anyone to bend over backwards to appease them? They offer rooted users software in the market so it makes little sense to block access to parts of the market for the crime of putting them to use being rooted. It's silly to offer it and ban you foe usibg it in an open source environment. To be honest, I could give a turd about Google movies. I never would've known about this whole topic had I not read the OP and tried it myself. I'm unafffected by using the market for movies, My only worry arises if this starts spreading w/ all this SOPA & piracy paranoia floating around these days. What's next?

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Not sure what you're reading. Who asked anyone to bend over backwards to appease them? They offer rooted users software in the market so it makes little sense to block access to parts of the market for the crime of putting them to use being rooted. It's silly to offer it and ban you foe usibg it in an open source environment. To be honest, I could give a turd about Google movies. I never would've known about this whole topic had I not read the OP and tried it myself. I'm unafffected by using the market for movies, My only worry arises if this starts spreading w/ all this SOPA & piracy paranoia floating around these days. What's next?

I don't think it has anything to do with SOPA/piracy paranoia (at least from Google's perspective), but more with the contracts/agreements with the studios who enable rentals. They probably won't nothing to do with circumvention, so as a term of the agreement had it so rooted users cannot rent movies so as to find a workaround for the DRM.

buckifvr

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site

So if superuser is not on the phone we can get a movie? Where would I find a "script" like that?

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I don't think it has anything to do with SOPA/piracy paranoia (at least from Google's perspective), but more with the contracts/agreements with the studios who enable rentals. They probably won't nothing to do with circumvention, so as a term of the agreement had it so rooted users cannot rent movies so as to find a workaround for the DRM.

Piracy is the whole reason behind this from Googles perspective. Threats of Youtue lawsuits ring any bells?

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Piracy is the whole reason behind this from Googles perspective. Threats of Youtue lawsuits ring any bells?

It might be an incidental thing, but to presume that the studios would let Google disseminate rental copies of movies with easy DRM get-arounds is a bit naive IMHO. You have to remember, with online/digital rentals, the studios are truly in control. Thank Netflix for that, for them realizing how big of a market exists for this type of thing.

There's literally no incentive for studios to "rent" to Google unless they're guaranteed the utmost security. Without that guarantee, I can't see them doing it. Thus, while Google may have some minor worries about piracy, knowing how these types of negotiations have played out leads me to believe that the brunt of this worry is directly from the studios, producers, etc. etc.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
So if superuser is not on the phone we can get a movie? Where would I find a "script" like that?

I wouldn't pay to rent a movie...ever lol. I'm assuming this would work. But you'd just need a script like:

mount -o remount,rw /system
mkdir /system/app/Backup
mv /system/app/Superuser.apk /system/app/Backup
busybox read -p "Press [Enter] key to move superuser back..."
mv /system/app/Backup/Superuser.apk /system/app/
busybox rmdir /system/app/Backup

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site

I never suggested Google break its back for anyone.
And if you recall, Google touts the freedom of Android as one of its selling points. To suddenly treat the freedom of rooting/unlocking as a detriment to daily operations on the phone is, well, stupid.
The better solution is to create another form of copy protection instead of just blocking out a chunk of users entirely.
Oh, and your definition of getting "everything done" is not necessarily anyone else's definition of "everything done." Come talk to us when your unrooted Rezound can flash ROMs or use superuser-dependent apps.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
It might be an incidental thing, but to presume that the studios would let Google disseminate rental copies of movies with easy DRM get-arounds is a bit naive IMHO. You have to remember, with online/digital rentals, the studios are truly in control. Thank Netflix for that, for them realizing how big of a market exists for this type of thing.

There's literally no incentive for studios to "rent" to Google unless they're guaranteed the utmost security. Without that guarantee, I can't see them doing it. Thus, while Google may have some minor worries about piracy, knowing how these types of negotiations have played out leads me to believe that the brunt of this worry is directly from the studios, producers, etc. etc.

It's obviously an appeasement to objections from outside sources. My only concern is with Android being open to development it can lead to bigger problems down the line. It's nice to have safeguards in place to appease them but the more this happens and loopholes are put to use. It kind of villainizes those who root b/c we are forced to use them. I just don't want to see it become an issue at some point.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
It's obviously an appeasement to objections from outside sources. My only concern is with Android being open to development it can lead to bigger problems down the line. It's nice to have safeguards in place to appease them but the more this happens and loopholes are put to use. It kind of villainizes those who root b/c we are forced to use them. I just don't want to see it become an issue at some point.

I absolutely agree with you there. The same type of argument/objections can be applied to the fact that rooted users can no longer use Wallet apparently. I mean really? Use a pin. Just use a freaking pin.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Rooted users can't use wallet because if you're rooted and someone gets your phone they can steal your wallet info and possibly more. The rooting issue with DRM is more akin to stopping someone from walking into a movie theatre with a camera tripod. They may not have a camera but the tripod sure does make them look suspicious.

buckifvr

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I wouldn't pay to rent a movie...ever lol. I'm assuming this would work. But you'd just need a script like:

mount -o remount,rw /system
mkdir /system/app/Backup
mv /system/app/Superuser.apk /system/app/Backup
busybox read -p "Press [Enter] key to move superuser back..."
mv /system/app/Backup/Superuser.apk /system/app/
busybox rmdir /system/app/Backup

lol, odds are I won't rent a movie, but its nice to know that I can if for some strange reason I want to. Thanks

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Rooted users can't use wallet because if you're rooted and someone gets your phone they can steal your wallet info and possibly more. The rooting issue with DRM is more akin to stopping someone from walking into a movie theatre with a camera tripod. They may not have a camera but the tripod sure does make them look suspicious.

No doubt. There's a variety of ways to do it, but having a pin on there certainly stops a couple of them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781