Why do 4g phones use so much data?

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
OK, I am no power user and rarely break into 2g of data use a month. I have used the heck outta my Incredible and iPhone before and when WiFi tethering a few devices topped 2gb in a month.

Now I get the Rezound for TWO DAYS and do nothing out of the ordinary and have used over 1gb in two days. What is it about the 4g phones that burn so much data? Thany God I have unlimited data!

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
OK, I am no power user and rarely break into 2g of data use a month. I have used the heck outta my Incredible and iPhone before and when WiFi tethering a few devices topped 2gb in a month.

Now I get the Rezound for TWO DAYS and do nothing out of the ordinary and have used over 1gb in two days. What is it about the 4g phones that burn so much data? Thany God I have unlimited data!

Sense & Verizon bloatware. Ready to root, yet?

crazy_skier

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
I don't see how sense and bloatware (if bloatware not being actively used) will cause excess data. I don't have a 4g phone but I think it's from being able to pull up pages faster, leading to more browsing. Also, with needing the data "faster" I can, picture the data being sent more "parallel" than "in series" which would send more in the same amount of time.

I'm still a fan id root, but blaming data on sense is bs

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Well I don't know what's causing it but believe me, I have not done any wild use of the phone. Heck the battery doesn't last long enough to do too much! LOL

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
half a gig a day is a lot, unless you are using skype, netflix, pandora, or other streaming, or doing some download. Normal syncs should go no where that high. Perhaps though, you were downloading a lot of apps?

I am not rooted and on days when I don't stream or download, i hit no where near 500mb.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I don't see how sense and bloatware (if bloatware not being actively used) will cause excess data. I don't have a 4g phone but I think it's from being able to pull up pages faster, leading to more browsing. Also, with needing the data "faster" I can, picture the data being sent more "parallel" than "in series" which would send more in the same amount of time.

I'm still a fan id root, but blaming data on sense is bs

You are correct on the online browsing aspect, that is the key contributor. However, are you telling me running services, system services, app permissions and how they all correlate doesn't add to data consumption? Your phone does alot of things in you don't see everytime you use it. Do you believe full internet access, view network state start at boot permissions etc.,. are just for show. There's good reason w/ you often see disclaimers that state using apps may contribute to data usage. Just cause you don't see it move the data count #s immediately doesn't mean it's not tacking on. Take a look through all stock app permissions, not just the ones you granted access but those you had no say in the matter. Honestly, Sense uses data constantly with apps and widgets, if they are in use.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I am almost always on wifi, but this afternoon I will be in a 4G area and not on wifi, so I am going to compare my numbers after I get home from before I left.

Very interesting topic.

acmorris

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Here is just an app recommendation to screen what be going on in the.background. It willl collect data for both wifi & data use.

The app is called Traffic Monitor and is what I use to monitor my data usage along with the myVerizon app as well to help measure data use.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Aside from the mentioned suggestions above 4g usage in return yields a better over all browsing experience so without even thinking about it we end up doing more surfing and other related tasks that we normally wouldn't attempt at 3g speeds.

End result=more data used.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Well I don't know what's causing it but believe me, I have not done any wild use of the phone. Heck the battery doesn't last long enough to do too much! LOL

Sounds like what I experienced. Big help to me is turning off things I don't use especially if it's something that searches for signals. I don't use public wifi so when I leave the house I turn off my wufi. There were times I'd literally drain my battery just taking my dogs on a walk. Was ready to take my Rezound back and go back to my TBolt but got lots of help here on the boards and now I love my Rezound :)

Sent from my Rezound via TapaTalk

ghess517

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Am still on 3g in my area and use about 5 gig a month. Can't wait for 4g. Then I will have to get extended battery. I do have a lot of background sync off, so that helps.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I did my 4G test today.

During the six hours I was out in a 4G area, I used 26.701 megabytes. I avoided any wifi for the test.

I did not stream any video, but we were taking all kinds of pictures and posting them directly to Facebook and then going back out to Facebook to make comments.

I also wore my battery down. I changed purses today before I went out and forgot to take my spare. I had to stop playing on the phone for a while, but I think I gave it a pretty good test.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Sense & Verizon bloatware. Ready to root, yet?

If properly functioning, sense and Verizon bloatware while it does use data, should be nowhere near as much as 500mb per day. I have never seen that much and I have syncs quite frequently, weather sync every hour, email sync every 15 min. And I get maybe 50 emails a day.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
If properly functioning, sense and Verizon bloatware while it does use data, should be nowhere near as much as 500mb per day. I have never seen that much and I have syncs quite frequently, weather sync every hour, email sync every 15 min. And I get maybe 50 emails a day.

Didn't think that post would be taken literally or even seriously for that matter. I enjoy friendly ribbing stock oem owners who raise the OP issue b/c ultimately have little say in dictating the background activities that do occur under the hood of Sense 3.5. Of course, that background crap can't affect data like 4g browsing and such, even opened to full bore syncing, instant updates, notifications etc.,. it's a whole different kind of data hog, small time vs big time.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Went threw a gig just streaming YouTube videos. HD screen=hd content. More data

Rootzound

Yea...I remember using Netflix somewhat on my Droid X1 and not really using that much data. Since getting 4G phones its using more data.

And since web browsing is better we might just be using it more without really knowing. And 4G might mean more stuff happening on web pages vs on 3G.

I also agree that depending on what apps or widgets are in use it can effect data usage. Those of us that got the RAZR found out the Moto music player was a data hog even when not in use. I do believe that some apps or widgets on Sense UI phones may play a part. It just might be more noticeable now that its 4G vs. 3G.

twolastnames

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Did you download your market apps over wifi or 4g? I have almost 3 hours of web use (work) a day, and that barely cracks a gig a month. YouTube is HD on ICS, but is it on Gingerbread I thought it was just high quality (48p)? What about music streaming? Pandora, google music? For real, sense for what ever people hate about it, is not gonna blow through your data like that.

What about a rouge app? You have to be doing something to go through that much data a day. I flash roms, and will download the rom, and all my market apps over 4g. My current setup only ate up 300 megs, with the rom.