Scared to root my Rezound

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
OK so root it then. You're not going to get a guarantee that nothing will ever go wrong. What you will get from this site and forum is the best help and advice you can possibly get should something go not as planned.

Rooting the Rezound is fairly painless. Do the rewards outweigh the consequenses? Well that's up to you and how much you've invested in the protection plan.

If it were me, I'd root it.

Again, no ones going to give you any guarantee...I think as first time rooter's we were all a bit apprehensive, especially since no one wants to ruin their new phone they just spent hundreds of dollars on but in the end I think you'll find rooting to be a very satisfying process. Thats is, given you've done your homework and know what you're doing.

And if something does go wrong...well post up here, Android Central's got your back!

twolastnames

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Isn't the word on the street that rooting MAY void your warranty? Do we have any evidence of someone being denied warranty claim? I've seen posts of people returning unlocked phones successfully. When you unlock, I'm not sure it says anything about losing your insurance, so I'm saying your fine. I'm paying for insurance with an unlocked phone, and am not to worried about being denied. I mean the insurance is for those times you do something stupid, like drop your phone in the toilet while texting your mom about peeing bar bathroom, right?

SpaceHippie

Journeyman
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Can someone convince me? I want to Root. But i find it a pain to have to reload my apps and re-do my appearance EVERY time i update cleanrom.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Isn't the word on the street that rooting MAY void your warranty? Do we have any evidence of someone being denied warranty claim? I've seen posts of people returning unlocked phones successfully. When you unlock, I'm not sure it says anything about losing your insurance, so I'm saying your fine. I'm paying for insurance with an unlocked phone, and am not to worried about being denied. I mean the insurance is for those times you do something stupid, like drop your phone in the toilet while texting your mom about peeing bar bathroom, right?

Heed his advice, it's spot on. As long as you don't walk in there w/ a neon guilt sign lit up across your forehead and explain that the phone was great til I tried rooting it. Your in the clear. Don't worry about being denied a warranty claim if you have insurance already. Realistically, that outcome is not going to
come into play. Unless you make an uninsured claim under the 1yr oem warranty and have to deal w/ a HTC corp. return. Even then odds are still in your favor. It's been said before, bricking is very, very difficult to pull off while rooting the Rez. We don't have enough access to the core system files to kill our phones. Just read about the process and ask questions before you do anything you're uncomfortable with or unsure about. Your picking an opportune time to root your phone. Alot of things that went wrong for a couple people early on and made them panic. Thinking they bricked their phone are easily correctable now. So jump in the waters fine, I swear I haven't peed in the pool, yet.

DarkSorrow

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I mean if you end up bricking your phone the good ole "My Phone Was Stolen" excuse works good if your that worried lol :)

CuriousNoob

Banned
Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
My phone's rooted, and I'm getting it replaced this week. Its not really as scary as those devs/people make it sound. :p

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Can someone convince me? I want to Root. But i find it a pain to have to reload my apps and re-do my appearance EVERY time i update cleanrom.

No one should convince you to root. You either do it or don't. Don't let anyone talk you into it.

I mean if you end up bricking your phone the good ole "My Phone Was Stolen" excuse works good if your that worried lol :)

Bricking your phone is highly unlikely. I mean, you'd really have to pull some kinda strange mess to brick the phone.

To the OP, if you can read and follow directions, you'll be fine. Should something go wrong, thats' why we're here.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
There is always a risk if you root, there have been reports of people getting charged full retail when sending in a rooted phone, but it is also possible that they trashed the phone (broken screen or whatever) and sent it in - in that case, you would be charged full retail and wouldn't get your original phone back. If you read the update, they got a response from Verizon saying that they don't check for root. This article is from last year, so things may have changed.

Still, if you root, it's a risk you take. if you bricked your phone due to root (which is very hard to do), then you should man up and eat the cost if you didn't buy insurance. Bricking your phone due to root is not a warranty issue. If you have a legit defect and are rooted and worried about being charged full retail, send it back to the warrantor, PCD, and they would have to fix or replace it under warranty. Warranty information is in the warranty booklet that came with the phone.

Keep in mind that Verizon is NOT the warrantor of the phone, and as such, they are not required by law to provide warranty service, and may decline warranty service for any reason whatsoever (though most likely they won't decline warranty unless you did physical or water damage to the phone)

What exactly should happen if you were to root your phone, play around with ROMs/hacks/etc., somehow manage to break it, and then send it in to Verizon for a warranty replacement? Should you be allowed to get a replacement or not? According to reports, you can get a replacement, but the rooting of your phone voids any warranty you had and gives Verizon permission to charge you for a new one if they determine that your broken phone was tampered with.
Our buddy @P3droid has apparently heard from a couple of friends who have run into the scenario that we described above and then been slapped with a pretty hefty and unannounced bill. Fair or unfair?
I?ll just say this ? we?ve known that rooting your device voids your warranty since well back in the original DROID days, so it makes sense that Verizon would do this. As unpopular as this may sound, I can?t fault Big Red for going this route. If you decide to take your phone out of its original factory status, tinker with its guts, and break something, it shouldn?t be their responsibility to take care of you.
With that said though, a broken volume rocker, faulty screen, etc. has nothing do with rooting, so I?d hate to see someone get charged for something that they didn?t cause even if they decided to root. It?s an interesting topic, and one that I would love to hear all your opinions on.

Update: Our friends at Verizon saw this post and wanted to reach out to clarify everything immediately. First up, is the fact that their policy says absolutely nothing about checking for root on devices. When a phone is received, a phone is checked for three things and that definitely isn?t one of them. They check to see if the box that the device was sent in is damaged, if the outside of the phone looks awful, and if it powers on ? satisfy all of those and they move on to the next phone. So basically, these reports of being charged for a rooted phone simply mean that these people were sending in garbage phone with defects.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/06/1...ging-full-price-of-warranty-phones-if-rooted/

X10_Unit_1

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I have always been under the impression that if you are questioning whether you should root your phone or not, that you shouldn't do it.

Root is great and has it advantages/disadvantages but if you don't know what those advantages/disadvantages are or don't needs those advantages at the risk of the disadvantages then you don't need root. Period. Read up on Root and make a well thought out choice. Don't let someone talk you into it because they aren't going to fix your phone if you break it.

Root is not a necessity for everyone and please don't make it out to be some sort of geek status symbol.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I have always been under the impression that if you are questioning whether you should root your phone or not, that you shouldn't do it.

Root is great and has it advantages/disadvantages but if you don't know what those advantages/disadvantages are or don't needs those advantages at the risk of the disadvantages then you don't need root. Period. Read up on Root and make a well thought out choice. Don't let someone talk you into it because they aren't going to fix your phone if you break it.

Root is not a necessity for everyone and please don't make it out to be some sort of geek status symbol.

I completely agree with everything you just said. Rooting is about taking control of your phone. A lot of Rezound users did it just to get rid of the Verizon bloat. You have to root to theme, use wifi tether, even backup your applications. But if it's something that you have to question then don't do it.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I completely agree with everything you just said. Rooting is about taking control of your phone. A lot of Rezound users did it just to get rid of the Verizon bloat. You have to root to theme, use wifi tether, even backup your applications. But if it's something that you have to question then don't do it.

Just to point out that wifi tether works on some phones without root. Not on the Rezound, Unfortunately, but, if you don't want to root and want wifi tether, then there are some phones that can do it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch