Verizon is way behind!

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
In my opinion, Rezound owners have little to complain about. You bought a phone fully aware that it is using an old OS. Given the fact you are participating in a forum like this one, it is well known that very rarely if ever are OS updates like this one are released without months of preparation first.

Sent from one of the following: Galaxy Nexus, Bionic or Xoom using Tapatalk.

The complaining doesn't stem from the fact that we have an older OS and yell "gimme! gimme!" when we saw a new one, the complaining stems from HTC blowing smoke up our asses with the "early 2012 ICS" talks. Here we are, a couple of days from April, and still no solid ICS talk aside from "coming soon."
Not that I believed HTC or any other manufacturer anyway, but that doesn't excuse any of them from lying in an attempt to get sales. I bought the Rezound for the hardware, and I'm plenty pleased with it.

Oh, and Verizon optimizing their barrel of [deleted] for ICS certainly doesn't speed up the process. Good thing there's plenty of HTC ICS leaks.

Last edited by a moderator:

jimbl

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I add 6-12 months to every timeline Verizon announces when it comes to OS updates. This way I'm rarely disappointed. Well until the update comes out, and it FUBARs my phone (Incredible). So, you might want to be careful what you wish for. ;)

Reactions: pauldroidr2d2

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
The complaining doesn't stem from the fact that we have an older OS and yell "gimme! gimme!" when we saw a new one, the complaining stems from HTC blowing smoke up our asses with the "early 2012 ICS" talks. Here we are, a couple of days from April, and still no solid ICS talk aside from "coming soon."
Not that I believed HTC or any other manufacturer anyway, but that doesn't excuse any of them from lying in an attempt to get sales. I bought the Rezound for the hardware, and I'm plenty pleased with it.

Oh, and Verizon optimizing their barrel of [deleted] for ICS certainly doesn't speed up the process. Good thing there's plenty of HTC ICS leaks.

Didn't I say that we'd be lucky to see the official ICS update before Xmas 2013? I agree with everyone else, it is BS that HTC said Q1 2012 for the update and that they haven't delivered. However I've been on ICS for quite a while now. I've found the ROM base that I liked and tweaked it to exactly what I want. While having official ICS would be nice, it's not a major concern for me.

This is why a lot of us use custom ROMs to begin with. Initially it was to get functionality...now it's to get what we WANT. I wanted ICS, so I got it. Rooting/ROM'ing needs to lose the stigma that it's wrong/will break your phone. Some nice stable ROMs have come down the pike, and while they don't have the celebrity status of Cyanogenmod, they're definitely "daily drivers"

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Didn't I say that we'd be lucky to see the official ICS update before Xmas 2013? I agree with everyone else, it is BS that HTC said Q1 2012 for the update and that they haven't delivered. However I've been on ICS for quite a while now. I've found the ROM base that I liked and tweaked it to exactly what I want. While having official ICS would be nice, it's not a major concern for me.

This is why a lot of us use custom ROMs to begin with. Initially it was to get functionality...now it's to get what we WANT. I wanted ICS, so I got it. Rooting/ROM'ing needs to lose the stigma that it's wrong/will break your phone. Some nice stable ROMs have come down the pike, and while they don't have the celebrity status of Cyanogenmod, they're definitely "daily drivers"

Which ICS are you using? I've prepped my phone for a ROM switch but I'm wishy washy about which ICS ROM to stick on here.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
One of the reasons I chose Verizon is because for my uses, Verizon is substantially cheaper than Sprint.

I think those of us seasoned realize that carrier or manuf. promises are not really to be trusted, and are in general delayed particularly in updates. If you must have ICS, get a phone with ICS already. Or get the leaked ICS which doesn't require root.

For my uses, AT&T would be about the same price as Verizon. But once I factor in my data uses, AT&T would be WAY more expensive than Verizon, since I use unthrottled 25-30gb 4GLTE. To get the same unthrottled data on AT&T would cost WAY more.

Hi

Dumb question here: What is leaked ICS?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi

Dumb question here: What is leaked ICS?

A leaked version or unofficial version of ICS. Example, for the Nexus S/Nexus S 4g owners we are running leaked versions of ICS like many other devices since we haven't been granted an official release. The Nexus S (GSM AT &T/T Mobile) were given an official release but it was pulled a day or two into the release due to issues.

Reactions: skatergirl

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

The reason for the complaining is irrelevant. It's simple you chose to purchase with Gingerbread as the OS. You are going to have to live with it now, unless you want to root and use a leaked version.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't think it's irrelevant, I mean, if they are not honoring their commitment date, then that is not good. But, this has happened over and over and over again. Sure, hope for the best, but expect the worst.
Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice...

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Which ICS are you using? I've prepped my phone for a ROM switch but I'm wishy washy about which ICS ROM to stick on here.

I'm running Xtreme Outcasts' ROM which was retrofitted with a lot of AOSP/CM9 apps to make it feel a lot more like AOSP. Scott's CleanROM was always my choice for a Sense'd ROM.

Reactions: Wanda

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Didn't I say that we'd be lucky to see the official ICS update before Xmas 2013? I agree with everyone else, it is BS that HTC said Q1 2012 for the update and that they haven't delivered.

While the point is very valid & owners can cry foul about it. Technically, HTC met that deadline already, Euro. devices got it. What is ishy about HTC is that other devices got lumped under the umbrella. It was awhile ago and I didn't follow reports about it closely after I went the custom route. So I don't recall offhand, was it HTC, Big Red or both, who specifically listed the Rez as Q1 for ICS.

Some nice stable ROMs have come down the pike, and while they don't have the celebrity status of Cyanogenmod, they're definitely "daily drivers"

Some of the early leaks were definitely "daily drive you crazy". On another note, do you think that new Sensation XE rom w/ the camera tweaks will be made available for us? That's the phone we got the first leaked ICS rom from. Or is it non applicable, since the SXE is a lesser phone? Can we use those tweaks for the Rezounds camera? Or do we already have uncompressed file saving, no size limits & 20mbps in the Rez-ware?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
While the point is very valid & owners can cry foul about it. Technically, HTC met that deadline already, Euro. devices got it. What is ishy about HTC is that other devices got lumped under the umbrella. It was awhile ago and I didn't follow reports about it closely after I went the custom route. So I don't recall offhand, was it HTC, Big Red or both, who specifically listed the Rez as Q1 for ICS.

Were there Rezounds sold in Euro? I thought Rezound was only a stateside phone, Euro was called the Sensation.

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
The reason for the complaining is irrelevant. It's simple you chose to purchase with Gingerbread as the OS. You are going to have to live with it now, unless you want to root and use a leaked version.

I don't believe that's how it works. When Nexus owners purchased a Samsung phone, knowing full well that the radios were going to be usual Samsung quality, they still complained when they realized that reception and signal were garbage. Is their complaining irrelevant as well? If it is, then consider my point invalid.
Again, I never believed HTC in the first place. But when you're lied to, you're lied to. The complaint is about HTC lying about OUR upgrade, but then bringing out "early" upgrades to phones that were rarely even mentioned.

kgirl808

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
I guess one of the upsides of not having ICS yet is I read some of the peeps who did the leak-some of their apps were no longer working because its not compatible w/ ICS for now.

Personally I don't really care, I want it but not in any rush for it. I'm happy w/ my phone, it does what I want and everything is working. If I wanted it now I would either grab a ROM w/ ICS or the leaked version.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Were there Rezounds sold in Euro? I thought Rezound was only a stateside phone, Euro was called the Sensation.

Whatchu talkin bout, Willis? I never said the Rezound was anywhere other than stateside. Earliest thing I clearly remember reading about it fron HTC was in a very roundabout article saying that HTC would begin the rollout of ICS in Q1. I don't recollect reading anything that officially stated any specific devices until the Euro. models were mentioned. Hell, I don't even remember the Vivid being mentioned by HTC in ages, with a timetable or release date until the story broke 48hrs before it happenend officially.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Whatchu talkin bout, Willis? I never said the Rezound was anywhere other than stateside. Earliest thing I clearly remember reading about it fron HTC was in a very roundabout article saying that HTC would begin the rollout of ICS in Q1. I don't recollect reading anything that officially stated any specific devices until the Euro. models were mentioned. Hell, I don't even remember the Vivid being mentioned by HTC in ages, with a timetable or release date until the story broke 48hrs before it happenend officially.

There were a couple of articles dating back to November and December stating the Rezound would be a recipient of ICS 1st quarter of 2012. Of course, dating back that far can only be considered speculation. I don't think the Rezound will see ICS until the end of spring/beginning of summer.

Reactions: humpagardengnome

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
All the things I saw about the promise was "early 2012". The generally accepted definition of this is Q1. However I don't think we have been lied to yet, just let down and arguably taken advantage of. If the end of Q2 rolls around and no ics, then we will have been more than lied to. I personally and not dyng to get ics, but the sooner it gets here the better. I love my phone the way it is, but I'm itching for true duel core management as well as other things. Also, this is my first android device so I made a pack to keep it stock for a while to experience it the way as intended before i open the hood and mess with stuff. The timeline I set for myself was until the ics ota, so the sooner it gets here the sooner I allow myself to get into some trouble :cool:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

sorry, misread your post.

leroybrute

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
When hTC and Verizon had the Rezound release event I stayed up and watched it live. Both hTC and Verizon both said quarter one ICS update. Also mentioned and advertised as the first hTC phone ICS ready.
I also bought the Rezound for the hardware first but also bought it under the impression we would get ICS quarter 1. Really what I'm looking for out of ICS is hardware exceleration and better browser.

It is also a legitimate gripe and fraudulant anytime you are promised anything, if you buy our product. Especially when hTC phones that weren't promised or advertised ICS ready and will get it in the Q1 time frame have it already. And to anyone that likes trolling to stir trouble and hasn't forked over the 300 to 600 for the Rezound really doesn't have a reason or right to tell Rezound owners who bought this phone with guarantees to quit whining!

Reactions: humpagardengnome