is it okay to use a tablet's 2A USB charger to charge the Rezound

Touchpaddle

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
I was looking at the USB wall charger that came with the HTC Rezound. It says 1A 5V.

I have been charing it with a USB wall charger that came with my HP Touchpad tablet.
That charger is has 2A output. Is it bad to charge the Rezound with it? It has worked
fine... but I don't know if I'm doint it long-term harm? I do have the full coverage from
Verizon/Asurion.(which covers damage, water, defect, as long as I keep paying the monthly
fee for the insurance)

Just wondering.....

xxfallacyxx

Bearded
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Re: is it okay to use a tablet's 2A USB charger to charge the Rez

I don't know. The phone will charge off a variety of current ratings, be it the 1A OEM charger or the smaller amperage rating of a USB connection. I think the thing you'd have to watch out for is heat, whether or not the added amperage is causing unnecessary heat in the device.

Really more of a question for the designers of the phone though, they'd know what the charging circuit and battery can handle.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I use my touchpad 5v/2a charger on my rezound all the time. No problems, but it won't charge any faster though. You can use battery monitor widget from the android market to check charging rates, both charge to around 1a max, so the rezound and most phones have a limiter allowing only so much charge.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site

The phone will only pull the amperage it needs so should be fine.. Your wall outlets at home are usually on either 15A or 20A circuits, but that doesn't mean when you plug something in it will use all those amps. The output amp rating on that charger is just telling you the max it can do.

Touchpaddle

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site

Thanks!

What about using a charger that outputs less than 1A?

For example, my Samsung Galaxy Nexus and Droid Charge came with USB chargers that only
output 0.5A and 0.75A.... I don't care if it will charge the Rezound slower.... but will it somehow
damage the Rezound?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

it won't damage, just charge slower. You can charge it using usb2 on the computer which is 5v/500ma.

kulkaholic

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I would not use a direct from wall tablet charger for a phone. I understand the concept that a phone will draw what it needs buy why do phones have chargers that vary in spec?

As an example wife my wife just uses cell phones and when she uses the chargers for my smartphones her phone says that you use in the wrong charger.

so to be cautious it's probably better to just use the original charger or buy another if that's the case

Tulkash

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
The chargers less than 1A charge very slowly. If I use less than 1A for my galaxy nexus and are using it (ie. Wifi, games, etc) then it draws more power than the charger puts in. Very frustrating.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockpaperreality36