The ICS hold up is getting on my nerves.

skyjjc

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Well, in my mind the only real benefit from ICS is multiprocessor support which I'm looking forward to. All the rest is just a different look and feel which you may or may not like better than Gingerbread.

Even running on just one processor core on Gingerbread, the rezound is totally awesome, I want Verizon and HTC to squash the ICS bugs before they push it.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
This is probably close to the truth

HTC doesn't need the bad press from their own consumers at this point. I 100% believe this is a VZ holdup. HTC wants nothing more than to please their current customers - God knows they are getting skewered by the press and their investors.

HTC wants nothing more than consumers to buy new hardware from them.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Well, in my mind the only real benefit from ICS is multiprocessor support which I'm looking forward to. All the rest is just a different look and feel which you may or may not like better than Gingerbread.

Even running on just one processor core on Gingerbread, the rezound is totally awesome, I want Verizon and HTC to squash the ICS bugs before they push it.

I see a lot of threads and tweets about people wanting their device to finally be updated to ICS - yey hardly any of them post why they want ICS. No one names a feature of ICS they need on their current device.

:/

leroybrute

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I see a lot of threads and tweets about people wanting their device to finally be updated to ICS - yey hardly any of them post why they want ICS. No one names a feature of ICS they need on their current device.

:/

Hardware acceleration!! Browser

NHBass39

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site

I say they squash ICS period. Long live gingerbread. Buy a nexus if you want ICS.

trivor

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm happy with my Dinc 2 on Gingerbread with Sense 2.1 and I'm sure it will be neat to get ICS with Sense 3.6 - just want it to run smooth (although I am looking forward to at least hiding all the Verizon bloatware that I can't remove - and don't tell me to root - not interested).

piaband

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I love the panoramic camera feature, but there is a free app called camera ics that has the EXACT camera app on ics available for any phone. Incredible. I'm happy with my cleanrom. No need at all here for official ics.

The people who are complaining have absolutely no ground to stand on. This isnt a nexus device, you should not have purhased a gb phone if you needed to have ics that bad. You should have nought a galaxy nexus.

I don't feel for the complainers one bit

Rezound, rooted, loving it.

Reactions: Ry

piaband

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm happy with my Dinc 2 on Gingerbread with Sense 2.1 and I'm sure it will be neat to get ICS with Sense 3.6 - just want it to run smooth (although I am looking forward to at least hiding all the Verizon bloatware that I can't remove - and don't tell me to root - not interested).

You will love ics then. You can disable any app. Not sure if that will change once in Verizon's hands, but it works on the rooted roms right now.

If there is something you want that is available on a rooted Rom but you choose not to root, that is a fair, personal choice. Just don't start complaining later that you want it on an official Rom.

Rezound, rooted, loving it.

mtbhk44

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
HTC wants nothing more than consumers to buy new hardware from them.

That's true, but if they don't update their software on the devices we currently have bought (based on their promises to update their software in a timely fashion on their latest devices) then their CURRENT customers will be less likely to buy from them in the future. I left Moto because of their broken promises. If HTC and Verizon continue to drag their feet on this upgrade, then I will have no qualms about going to another manufacturer for my next device.

This S-Off crap also has gotten under my skin which makes HTC not much better than Moto with their devices, but I suppose that's a whole other story.

experiment 626

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
The thing that bothers the most is that the Vivid already has ICS. If AT&T can update their bloated LTE HTC device why can't Verizon? Hardware & specs between the Vivid and Rezound are almost identical.

mtbhk44

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
What in the world are you talking about?

LOL - which part is confusing? Moto now locks their bootloaders from the OG Droid on, thus making hackery a pain all the way around. I was under the impression HTC was wide open. I did not realize the device wasn't fully unlockable until I bought this Rezound. I have found it's much more convoluted and difficult to hack this device than it was to hack my OG and X. With our inability to gain S-Off, we can't truly hack this phone, like for example, the OG.

Does my rambling make sense now?

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
LOL - which part is confusing? Moto now locks their bootloaders from the OG Droid on, thus making hackery a pain all the way around. I was under the impression HTC was wide open. I did not realize the device wasn't fully unlockable until I bought this Rezound. I have found it's much more convoluted and difficult to hack this device than it was to hack my OG and X. With our inability to gain S-Off, we can't truly hack this phone, like for example, the OG.

Does my rambling make sense now?

No LOL. S-Off is done and just waiting to be released. Unlocking and Rooting/ROM'ing an unlocked Rezound is literally one more step than any other phone. I really do fail to see where people coming from a DX have any bit of room to complain. We were running second init ROMs for most of the phone's life. They literally had to hack on another init layer to allow us to bypass the moto lock down. HTC gives us a valid unlocking process and a simple "fastboot flash boot boot.img" makes people pissy? Wow...just wow.

Last edited:

nrage23

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
No LOL. S-Off is done and just waiting to be released. Unlocking and Rooting/ROM'ing an unlocked Rezound is literally one more step than any other phone. I really do fail to see where people coming from a DX have any bit of room to complain. We were running second init ROMs for most of the phone's life. They literally had to hack on another init layer to allow us to bypass the moto lock down. HTC gives us a valid unlocking process and a simple "fastboot flash boot boot.img" makes people pissy? Wow...just wow.
Probably likes rom manager also so you do not have to go into recovery.

mtbhk44

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
Now now - settle down guys. I don't think the personal attacks are necessary.

I'm in recovery directly all the time - I never used ROM manager...well, initially I did when I got the DX but I much preferred to bang around in recovery on my own.

I guess my frustration stems from the fact that HTC still locks it down to an extent and we have to rely on devs to come up with the S-Off capability. It's my phone, why the added layer to hack through? I love what the development community has done with this phone so far. It's FAR better than anything the DX had to offer. I guess the process of ROM'ing seems a little more in depth to me than fastboot flash boot boot.img.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Now now - settle down guys. I don't think the personal attacks are necessary.

I'm in recovery directly all the time - I never used ROM manager...well, initially I did when I got the DX but I much preferred to bang around in recovery on my own.

I guess my frustration stems from the fact that HTC still locks it down to an extent and we have to rely on devs to come up with the S-Off capability. It's my phone, why the added layer to hack through? I love what the development community has done with this phone so far. It's FAR better than anything the DX had to offer. I guess the process of ROM'ing seems a little more in depth to me than fastboot flash boot boot.img.

HTC gave us the safest unlock that ever existed. They made it virtually impossible to brick the Rezound. S-Off on the other hand has almost always been an exploit rather than a feature. They never envisioned(for whatever reason) that we're going to run leaks or change the kernel. They gave us a viable way to run ROMs and not much more. We(we being the dev community) found a way around the kernel problem, by flashing a PH98IMG.zip or flashing the kernel in HBOOT.

Try to look at it as a glass half full(or 1/4 full) because it could be worse...you could have a RAZR.

baul0010

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
HTC gave us the safest unlock that ever existed. They made it virtually impossible to brick the Rezound. S-Off on the other hand has almost always been an exploit rather than a feature. They never envisioned(for whatever reason) that we're going to run leaks or change the kernel. They gave us a viable way to run ROMs and not much more. We(we being the dev community) found a way around the kernel problem, by flashing a PH98IMG.zip or flashing the kernel in HBOOT.

Try to look at it as a glass half full(or 1/4 full) because it could be worse...you could have a RAZR.

He's RIGHT! I had a RAZR and talked a friend into buying the Rezound from Amazon for $49.99...and then I traded with him.

I WIN! He probably won't be my friend any more :'( But my phone doesn't suck.

saabguy2005

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
the htc rezound is the best ing phone Verizon has ever put out... when ics comes it will be even better! be patient... anything rushed by verizon has a proven track record of being fubar...then you'll be mad all over again :mad: in the meantime.... stay thirsty my friend!

mtbhk44

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site

That's certainly a fair way of looking at it. I could totally have a RAZR, but I definitely chose this so as not to be back on a Moto phone.

I'm on phone #2. I had a problem with phone #1 which I had rooted and ROM'd and mistakenly ended up on the ICS firmware. My frustration came from the fact that I could not dial back to the GB firmware after flashing the ICS firmware. Any mistake I had made on my DX could be corrected with a simple SBF - and then I could start from scratch again. The lack of a "do over" with the firmware is making me very squeamish about diving back in and making another irreversible mistake.

Make sense?