Scratched my screen!!!!!

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Somehow I managed to scratch my screen yesterday. No idea how as I carry I my pocket and don't ever put anything in that pocket. Majorly bummed now!!!!

cc749022.jpg

16edc205.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 4 (while my HTC Rezound charges! LOL ) using Tapatalk

anon(3415124)

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
Same thing here. I've got a couple of very small scratches on mine as well. I'm always very careful with it, and it rides in my pocket alone at all times. I have no idea where they came from. I still can't say I'm interested in a screen protector, though.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I might put a protector on just because my scratch is bad enough it catches your fingernail. I just can't figure out where it came from. There is a lighter part of the scratch that extends further but the iPhone's camera could not pick it up.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
(ala Jim Mora "Playoffs?")

Pockets? Don't talk about.. pockets?... you kiddin' me? Pockets? ;)

IMO, putting a phone in a pocket is asking for trouble as there are just too many potential things that can either rub against the screen while in the pocket, scratch it when you put it in or take it out, or crack it via too much tension (if in a tight pocket or you move in a way that causes it). A holster where the screen faces in is the way to go (ex. Seidio Spring-clip holster). It protects the phone quite well. One year later and my Bolt still looks as pristine as its first day out of the box! :)

/yah, I posted this a while back here in another post, but I like hanging with my HTC brethren. :p

Reactions: crzycrkr

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Grit probably causes 90% of scratches. Any grit in your pockets, on your hands, mixed in with the lint, will scratch your screen. Much bigger threat than keys or coins. Always run a good quality protector if you don't want scratches. Steinheil Ultra Crystal are completely clear and feel like glass. 9 out of 10 tech geeks won't even realize its on there.

Reactions: anon(3415124)

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I have carried every phone I've owned, including the Incredible, Iphone 4, Dare, blackberry Storm, Omnia, in my pocket and NEVER had a scratch. No screen protectors either, hate them. I can guarantee there was no sharp objects in my pocket and I was wearing baggy cargo shorts. I simply. Cannot figure out where the scratch came from...

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I have carried every phone I've owned, including the Incredible, Iphone 4, Dare, blackberry Storm, Omnia, in my pocket and NEVER had a scratch. No screen protectors either, hate them. I can guarantee there was no sharp objects in my pocket and I was wearing baggy cargo shorts. I simply. Cannot figure out where the scratch came from...

Nice signature! ;)

I hate screen protectors as well, prefer naked (other than a holster), but consider yourself lucky all this time. As I stated previously, there are just too many potential ways to scratch a screen when putting a phone in a pocket. :( All it takes is a grain of sand (or some type of abrasive material) to rub against the screen and walla... sorry man. I know it sucks! :'( The only true solution other than not using your pockets is a screen protector or holster. :)

jwp1223

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I have the otterbox on my phone....granted I love taking it out of the case and looking at it (it's such a pretty phone), but I will never put it in my pocket....I have my keys in my right pocket, and I usually carry pens in my other pocket. So I just wear it on my hip like a tard, but at least it's safe.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site

Yeah, you have just been ridiculously lucky up till this point.

anon(3415124)

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site

Agreed. I've carried all my phones in my pocket. Granted, it's always carpenter pants or shorts with the little side pocket down the leg, but it's still a pocket (nothing else goes in there). I guess I've been lucky as well, up to this point. Any time I've ever put a mark on a phone though, I know what I've done. My two scratches in the last month are truly a puzzle to me, though. Ah well, I'm not really sweating it too badly. I may have to look into the Steinheil Ultra Crystal (thanks for the tip crzycrkr), just for grins.

My problem with a holster is that I seem to bang into everything with it. You wouldn't think that it would be a problem, but good grief, I'm always afraid I'm going to knock the phone right off my hip. That must be leftover from my autocross days, when you wanted to get as close to the cones as possible. :)

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
So sorry to hear about your scratch. That sucks.

I hate screen protectors too, but I do use them because I wear earrings. If you can find someone who can do a great job applying the screen protector, it is almost non-noticable ... until the protector starts getting scratched up over time.

I also use a shell hoslter combo and thank goodness for that because today I dropped my phone on the hard floor. And for those who know my recent history, I am thankful it was not in the toilet! I have had the worst luck with dropping and spilling things lately. UGH!

Again, sorry for your scratch
:(

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I have used screen protectors, but hate the way they turn up along the edges, especially with removing cases like I did with the Incredible, because I swapped batteries every day. I guess I will need to put one on the Rezound, to mask the feel of that dang scratch!!! Arrrrgggggg!!!!!!

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I wish my sister could apply that screen protector for you. She is bad ass when it comes to getting those suckers on. I don't change out my battery on a daily basis, but my phone is in and out of my holster all day and the edges never turn up.

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty good at putting them on. I apply similar things at work every day and need to apply without bubbles. I don't remove the case on the Rezound so the edges shouldn't be a problem.

I have used Protech and Invisishield.... I don't care for invisishield at all. I might try the other listed earlier.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, you need to get away from wet application screen protectors. I'm convinced the reason people are so against protectors is because their experiences are limited to those. Dry application protectors go on very easily with no bubbles. High quality ones like the Steinheil Ultra Crystal are nearly impossible to notice once on. Zagg is complete trash that is really old tech.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
There's a product, Displex display scratch remover, that works well on surface blemishes. Yours doesn't seem bad, might be worth a try. I used it once, on an old phone and it worked better than expected.

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
That scratch is pretty deep. It catches your fingernail big time. A close look shows a rough edge.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
That scratch is pretty deep. It catches your fingernail big time. A close look shows a rough edge.

I'd recommend going on youtube and search displex scratxh remove, there's alot of demos. It's your call but it can repair some defects you's think it couldn't.

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Will do. Here are a couple of close up attempts...

9dda9ba1.jpg

160c1704.jpg

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
A screen protector did not save the screen of my DInc when I dropped a plastic TV remote on it. I suppose the protector wasn't designed to handle something like that, but I no longer found any value in using screen protectors after that.

Once a huge scratch starts, the phone is never the same. Sorry it happened! :(