New ICS Rumor

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
That's cool. I don't have the guts to root my phone. I'm sick of the false rumors too. I came across this and just decided to post it; false or not. Hopefully not lol.

Rooting is not a scary process (despite all the WARNING< THIS COULD DAMGE YOUR PHONE!) most likely if you mess something up, you just will have failed to root it. If you can follow directions, rooting is very easy....even if you have a mac like me, But I know the feeling. Rooting just opens doors to do some cool things you couldn't otherwise do.

Now flashing new roms like an ICS rom, that is another process that requires root. Root is a plus and a minus in my opinion. Mostly I root for the ability to completely backup and restore anything on my device....with ease of an app Titanium backup. I see Root as a minus, because I feel this is something Android should be able to do without the need for rooting. I could do it on my blackberry 2 years ago, and you can do it on the iPhone. I don't like not being able to do it on android without root, but such is life. But in saying all that I will gladly root and stick with a superior system and ecosystem.

As for the ICS rumors, I used to get caught up in the Froyo and then the GB rumors for the Dinc. I've learned to be patient. Updates don't always make things better. Unless there is a feature ICS offers over GB (other than it being new and cool), It's usually worth the wait (as long as the wait was because they're trying to get all bugs out of it). I'm only impatient for the release of ICS because I want my phone S-off, and that won't happen till ICS is released.

jtversky

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
The process of rooting may not be scary to some, but many might have concerns due to the inherent security issue rooting your device presents. The primary reason i have yet to root my Rezound at this point, is due to the fact my company will no longer support it and allow me to connect to my exchange server if rooted. There are definitely legitimate concerns regarding errant apps, and their ability to exploit rooted devices. Granted, a lot of that is education and being careful with what you download, but no one is perfect. The fact is, for some people, rooting really isn't an option :-/

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
The process of rooting may not be scary to some, but many might have concerns due to the inherent security issue rooting your device presents. The primary reason i have yet to root my Rezound at this point, is due to the fact my company will no longer support it and allow me to connect to my exchange server if rooted. There are definitely legitimate concerns regarding errant apps, and their ability to exploit rooted devices. Granted, a lot of that is education and being careful with what you download, but no one is perfect. The fact is, for some people, rooting really isn't an option :-/

You're right, but to me if my job wants me to have a phone, they can buy me one that I won't mess with. My phone, my playground.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I wish my company was as generous as yours ;-)

Mine isn't...but neither am I. Think of it this way. You're doing them a favor by being chained to the business beyond 9-5(or whatever your hours are). The least they could do is compensate you for it. That's the only thing about the BYOD revolution I don't agree with. That companies expect you to use your hard earned tech for work....and not be in control of it.

WhoMe

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I finally took the time, went ahead and rooted my Rezound yesterday. It wasnt scary, and tool I used pretty much lead me through the process step by step. I was being careful and exact and it took me like...I dunno 20 minutes. The creator of said tool said it could be done in five...and I dont doubt it.

So now I have ICS. Its pretty and smooth. No problems.

I get that some people dont feel comfortable rooting thier phones, but if the lack of ICS is giving you ANY pain. Just root it. Otherwise, dont sweat it. Itll show up eventualy.

That being said, if your reading this...it pains you. Barring any work related barriers....root it. Yull feel like a more powerful geek after...I promise.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I really want to root(and if this rumor is false I will), but I don't have time and am too dependent in my phone right now to risk anything. The first time I do anything like this I do a stupid amount of research to make sure I know exactly what I am doing. Being a junior engineering student that is looking for a coop and has an extra curricular that takes 40+ hours a week, I just don't have the time to look into it yet. After finals I will though and will be able to have ics one way or the other :D

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I really want to root(and if this rumor is false I will), but I don't have time and am too dependent in my phone right now to risk anything. The first time I do anything like this I do a stupid amount of research to make sure I know exactly what I am doing. Being a junior engineering student that is looking for a coop and has an extra curricular that takes 40+ hours a week, I just don't have the time to look into it yet. After finals I will though and will be able to have ics one way or the other :D

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

Unlocking should take about 10 minutes give or take. Installing a ROM, maybe another 10. Both guestimates depend on your ability to follow directions. Check out my guide in the Rooting section. I think it's fairly easy to follow.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I already have and it more than likely with be the guide I use. It's not really the time it takes to do it, but rather the reading up on what I am actually doing that I need to do. I am new to android and Linux and I want to be prepared for Murphy's law if it were to rear its ugly head. I am an engineer so not understanding the why and how behind something does not sit well with me ;)

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

japhule

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Rumor looking less likely. The Xoom was supposed to get ICS today according to the link in the first post but that didn't happen.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
It does seem odd that the date listed w/ the Xoom was the same day that the Razr lineup began to push out, yet another, maintenance OTA update via Big Red. If the Xoom was in a soak that ended on the 19th. That date scheduled for the OTA was subject to change, depending on the feedback from the testers. As you saw, the Xoom has already been through several release candidates, thus far. So it's quite possible they need to delay it a bit to fix something. They've been working on ICS for the Xoom for awhile, now. We may still see the Xoom release soon. Same scenario could happen to the Rez since it's only on release candidate 2. Even if the Xoom is not released before 5/9, it has no bearing on the Rez release. Although, it sure would've been nice to see the Xoom release on the date that was listed. No matter how it's sliced, don't believe it til you see it.

dplane

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Oh Verizon..if you were an employee you would have been fired ten times over for never doing what you promise or when it is expected of you. At the same time I do truly wonder how much the software update release delays on VZW are actually the result of software issues rather than shady marketing practices to push one phone over the other. Conspiracies are awesome.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I know I am new around here, but I have an opinion.

yes, I know it is rare for someone on the internet to have one, but here goes.

VZW is mostly responsible for the delays. So far I have yet to see a phone that VZW touches get updated in a timely fashion. Look at the GNex. Most of the other carriers that have an older version are plugging along, yet the newest is lagging. That should be telling enough.

I just got my rezound today, still waiting on a battery so I havent even turned it on, but i would guess that you we will see ICS by the end of May. First week of June at the latest. That also depends on when they plan on launching the GSIII. Somewhere between that announcement and release, ICS will come out...

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Oh Verizon..if you were an employee you would have been fired ten times over for never doing what you promise or when it is expected of you. At the same time I do truly wonder how much the software update release delays on VZW are actually the result of software issues rather than shady marketing practices to push one phone over the other. Conspiracies are awesome.

If only there most consistent practice wasn't being inconsistent. I'll tell you one thing, they have mastered the art of building nervous tension among their customer base in the forums on the world wide weave.