Does anyone have a tablet??

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Ok ... I know I am off subject here and if I am doing a "my bad" please forgive me. However, again, this is the smartest group on the web, so here I am asking for opinions.

I have not been able to justify the purchase of a tablet. I have a desktop computer, a laptop and a smartphone ... however, that has not stopped me from wanting a tablet.

I just cannot go with the iPad, for two reasons. I am an Android/Windows girl and I want everything to work well together and two, I can't give into the Apple hype.

Sooooooo, I am looking at tablets and I definitely want ICE CREAM SANDWICH. I am following the advice of those who say, "if you want ICS, make sure you get something with ICS installed."

I am wondering about GBs. They go all they way from 8 to 64. Are more than 16 GBs really needed??

I am going to post a link for an Acer at Best Buy. I was surprised that Best Buy did not have a Samsung with ICS. Well, there is one model but it is only seven inches and 8 GB.

What all do you think??

Acer - Iconia Tab A510 Series Olympic Edition Tablet with 32GB Memory - Silver - A510-10S32U

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I have 3 tablets all of varying quality and cost. I will say the Asus Transformer and the Acer Iconia have to be among the best tablets out there. Althought I've been looking at the HTC flyer for quite some time. As far as memory goes, if it's not expandable(via SD) then figure on what you're going to use it for and that should tell you how much storage space you'll need. Also don't discount Apple just because they're Apple. I don't like the walled garden approach, but I'd jailbreak any iDevice I bought....if I ever bought one.

Reactions: skatergirl

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I have a home touchpad 32GB, which I paid $120 back in August or September. It originally runs webos, but I installed ics 4.04 on it. Having used a similar iPad at the time, I prefer the touchpad with ics due to its customizability over iOS.

andonakis

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Go for it. Tablets are so worth it. I have 2 nook rooted tablets. Just bought my wife an ipad 2 last night. I know its apple but my wife loves apple even though we all have android devices. I just cant get used to it being with android for so long, but it is a great device. Any how... weather Its an ipad or android, tablets are such a convenient way of doing web surfing and playing game, etc... Mind you her work is still being done on her laptop, but everything else the tablet is where its at. You won't know until you get one.

AstroStrat89

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm all about "what's the best solution for my needs?"

I have an Android phone and a iPad 2. Very happy with both, they each serve their purpose. Why arbitrarily cut you're self off from a product that may work well for you?

Like the whole Ford vs Chevy thing, I never understood it. Companies are betting on your brand loyalty and you could wind up with an inferior product.

When I broke things down to what I was trying to accomplish and what product fit the bill I ended up with product from both camps.

As far a memory, if you stream most everything, 16gb is plenty.

taylorz_412

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
I have the new I pad and I absolutely adore it the screen will make your eyes melt and its buttery smooth no matter what game or task you through at it especially browsing the web its like a dream come true:):)

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
I have a Xoom Wi-fi, and it does anything that I need it to do. It is a great tablet, and has ICS on it. It is a "Google Experience Device", and I think that it was the first to receive ICS. Maybe not first, but close.

wythme2

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I have the iPad 2 and love it. Just like I have the rezound, I buy what I like, not because of who makes it. I also have a windows based computer and laptop but will get a MacBook, not because I worship Apple products, but because I replace my laptops every two years and I have been researching macs and like the reviews on them. I will never limit myself to a brand or an os, because I love all technology.

taylorz_412

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
I have the iPad 2 and love it. Just like I have the rezound, I buy what I like, not because of who makes it. I also have a windows based computer and laptop but will get a MacBook, not because I worship Apple products, but because I replace my laptops every two years and I have been researching macs and like the reviews on them. I will never limit myself to a brand or an os, because I love all technology.

Amen

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site

This is what I've been telling people for years. Buy the tech that fits you. Don't buy into the philosophy that any one tech is better than all others.

veevans01

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I love my Rezound. I use it a lot. However, I do have a windows dell net book that I can use for work at home when necessary. I also have a mac book because of its reputation and it lives up to it. I also recently bought a 3rd generation ipad that my wife uses, but I found that it's good for reading and movies due to the screen. I love technology and that's why I am open to many devices. They all have specific advantages. If I get a tablet for myself it would be the Asus Transformer Prime because it is a very solid tablet and because I can use it with my Resound. Although I have and use all of these devices the one that I always use more than the others is my Resound.

Last edited:

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Ok ... I just ordered that Acer tablet. Yeah for me! LOL!

I generally drag my laptop with me to work every day, but I will probably get to use the tablet instead on my lighter days. I do have a really old Mac at my desk that is so-not user friendly, but it serves its purpose on our server.

I am also assuming that I can use my Office Suite pro on the tablet?

Oh ... and I do want to say that I know the iPads are really, really nice. I'm just pretty happy with the way things are working between my Windows based computers and my Android phone and soon to be tablet!!

veevans01

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site

I generally drag my laptop with me to work every day, but I will probably get to use the tablet instead on my lighter days. I do have a really old Mac at my desk that is so-not user friendly, but it serves its purpose on our server.

Oh ... and I do want to say that I know the iPads are really, really nice. I'm just pretty happy with the way things are working between my Windows based computers and my Android phone and soon to be tablet!!

Congrats on your new tablet. You will enjoy it. :)

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Integration from an android tablet to PC is similar to from android phone to PC. IPad is a little different. You should find the transition to be smooth. The only thing is for me, the resolution of the iPad is great. It is 3x greater than the Acer tablet. If it were me, I would wait for a higher resolution tablet. But if resolution isn't that important to you, then I am sure that that tablet would serve you fine.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully I will like it. I am sure I will. I even think the kindle fire is nice and it is smaller and apparently does not do as much as the tablets or iPads.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Congrats on the new tablet. :D

I've been on and off the fence many times on a tablet. But between two laptops at home that never leave the house and my Thunderbolt, I just can't justify it. Can't see how any tablet can compare performance wise to an Intel Core i7 system. :cool:

My girl does have an iPad2 though that she bought primarily for her job out in the field, although she also uses it quite a bit at home for personal stuff. I've played around with it enough to know Apple products are not for me (hardware is very nice, but the software leaves a lot to be desired). So when the time comes for a tablet, it will definitely be Android! :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catherinediane