McAfee Moble Security....A good choice?

MacDiver

May 12, 2012
Visit site
I just purchased the Rezound. It will be here in a few days. It's my first smartphone or any internet connected phone for that matter. Yeah, phone noob here! I am retiring the end of June so I got it to travel with. I build my own computers so I'm not a total tech noob though.

After reading lots of reviews on different protection options for antivirus and phone lock-out and tracking protection, I've also purchased McAfee Moble Security ahead of time so all I have to do is download it to the phone. I am really impressed with the fact that if the sim card is removed the phone locks and if a theif puts another sim card in it that the new number displays on their site. The phone can be tracked on a map too even with the new number. However, a firwall wasn't mentioned as being part of the software. What is a good firewall to use that would 't interfere with McAfee?

Since the phone is protected like this I am only going to get the extended warranty from Verizon for 2 bucks a mohth so that will cover the electonics.The McAfee and warranty are still cheaper than if I bought their total protection plan for 6.99 a month.

That sound like a good plan?

Thanks guyz

:)

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Sounds okay. Thankfully virus threats and malware haven't been a big issue on Android phones. I'm sure one day this will change but right now its been keep under control very well.

Only thing that worries me is just like anti virus apps/scanners on your computer at home lagging things up with various background processes running it will do the same to your cell phone.

MacDiver

May 12, 2012
Visit site
Actually, it was this virus or malware attack that was reported by skyjjc that promted my post. Undoubtedly, the attacks are going to become more frequent and powerful as smartphones are too tempting a target for theives to resist. They are, as we all realize, nearly as full functioning as PCs and laptops.

However, like you, I am concerned about how it may lag my phone. I'll be looiking for apps to shut down unneedd apps and that promote battery life conservation. I bookmarked one earlier for battery life, Juice Defender Plus.

Thanks for the words of support.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-htc-rezound/142909-new-market-notification-virus.html

:-\

Last edited:

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Actually, it was this virus or malware attack that was reported by skyjjc that promted my post. Undoubtedly, the attacks are going to become more frequent and powerful as smartphones are too tempting a target for theives to resist. They are, as we all realize, nearly as full functioning as PCs and laptops.

However, like you, I am concerned about how it may lag my phone. I'll be looiking for apps to shut down unneedd apps and that promote battery life conservation. I bookmarked one earlier for battery life, Juice Defender Plus.

Thanks for the words of support.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-htc-rezound/142909-new-market-notification-virus.html

:-\

Real time monitoring protection in Lookout is unnoticeable if you allow the good folks from Team Google do the managing the way they intended it to and your not running some worthless task manager/battery saver app, especially so once you debloat or run a Senseless rom your phone.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Sounds okay. Thankfully virus threats and malware haven't been a big issue on Android phones. I'm sure one day this will change but right now its been keep under control very well.

Only thing that worries me is just like anti virus apps/scanners on your computer at home lagging things up with various background processes running it will do the same to your cell phone.

Agreed, and this is absolutely why Google needs to create a backup app that will do nandroids. You shouldn't have to root your phone to back it up.

MacDiver

May 12, 2012
Visit site
Real time monitoring protection in Lookout is unnoticeable if you allow the good folks from Team Google do the managing the way they intended it to and your not running some worthless task manager/battery saver app, especially so once you debloat or run a Senseless rom your phone.

I looked at Lookout and all the others but none of them have the feature of obtaining the phone number of a sim card that a theif my put into the phone and being able to track it. To me that is one of the most important features of a protection service.

McAfee is notorious for anoying popups and stupid prompts. Back in the 90's I got rid of their PC antivirus for that reason and haven't been back since. Some reviews of their moble app complained of that too so evidently they still do it. Maybe I can minimize the hassle. I think I have 30 days after the phone arrives to change my warranty and protection coverage. If McAfee acts like a fool I'll switch to Lookout and maybe get the total protection option.

:)

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Here's a serious question. How many people haven't gotten a virus on Android? How many of those people are NOT virus scan users? I know I'm one of them. I'd wager this would be the vast majority.

kulkaholic

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Here's a serious question. How many people haven't gotten a virus on Android? How many of those people are NOT virus scan users? I know I'm one of them. I'd wager this would be the vast majority.

No viruses no scanning here.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums

MacDiver

May 12, 2012
Visit site
Lets add the question of how many use no theft protection either.

Some peeps just take the chance that they won't lose the phone and/or won't have a virius or malware attack. How many times have we heard of PC users that let the antivirus expire on a new computer and don't update it or get at least a free one, or they never update the one they have? No doubt there is a large percentage of smartphone users in the same stiuation.

With the cost of these phones costing in the $800 range it's taking a big risk. I just know I couldn't afford to lose mine.

Last edited:

Deron Baker

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

+1
I've owned a Droid X, Droid Razr, and now the Rezound. I also have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0+. I've never had any virus or malware on my phone. I only install apps from Google's market, with the exception of the modified Hulu Plus app I got from a link at a reputable forum. And I've never used any kind of anti-virus app on these devices.

Now, that's not to say I haven't downloaded some crappy apps. The Facebook app hasn't worked correctly the last 4 updates. :)

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk 2.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Well let's see Google scans there apps and bounces the bad ones. Android is a popular platform so it gets a lot of attention. A lot of blogs cry wolf way to many times. Its fear monglung going on. A lot of security company's over bloan to get u to buy there products.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

teckels

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I actually downloaded something (a streaming TV app) that created a couple new apps on my home screen. I just deleted them, the app and everything has been fine. I guess they would have got me if I clicked on their fake markets but it was so obvious. I have no scanner because I focus on battery life a little too much. Just don't download anything that looks suspicious without reading the comments, the community is pretty good at that.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Lets add the question of how many use no theft protection either.

Some peeps just take the chance that they won't lose the phone and/or won't have a virius or malware attack. How many times have we heard of PC users that let the antivirus expire on a new computer and don't update it or get at least a free one, or they never update the one they have? No doubt there is a large percentage of smartphone users in the same stiuation.

With the cost of these phones costing in the $800 range it's taking a big risk. I just know I couldn't afford to lose mine.

As with everything else it's risk vs reward. In the PC market and especially with Mac's most people aren't aware of the risk. In the Android market people are mostly aware of the risk unless they're read a sensationalized article written by McAfee or one of their partners.

So while I agree with you on your grounds, because they're your grounds. I disagree that this software is needed. Let's say you get malware, you factory reset and keep on keeping on. Your apps all reinstall from the market, and the only thing you lose would be a little time and a game save or two. Where's the risk?

MacDiver

May 12, 2012
Visit site
I just looked at the Lookout app in the Google store. It doesn't say anything about tracking a new sim card placed in the phone, even in the video. But someone posted on the first page after you choose to show more comments that his wife had lost her phone and that he had got the new number and gave it to the police.

So what's the deal? Does it in fact do that?

:confused:

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm not to worried about malware entering via Linux or Android apps b/c I'm super vigilant about what I personally put on my phones now. It's Java, Adobe and other browsing add ons that suck w/ security exploits. What I worry about are the mundane things that could be exploited with hidden code. Malicious code can be hidden in mundane objects like .jpegs & .mpegs to gain entry but they may not be able to get past the sandboxing security measures Google has in place with Android.

Here's why I have concerns, my Omnia II was hit by malware running on WinMo. I bought into that Android is safe mantra I read about on my DX. So purposefully, I used Google & Bing search engines images to search pics. During those forays I saw simple touch scrolling and just landing on a page can trigger auto downloading of file(s) onto sd. I'd land on a webpage and just see starting download pop up out of nowhere w/out clicking on anything on several occasions on my DX. Most could be stopped but twice they couldn't b/c the phone froze unresponsive and finished downloading.

My first DX was hit by an auto download onto my SD card on a linked page to a .jpg from Bing images. Browser froze and system locked up. Battery pulled multiple reboots later it was up again. Everything was running like molasses. Opened Lookout it kept crashing when I tried to scan. Eventually, it completed a scan but found nothing. Days later Lookout notified me my virus protection was turned off but it looked as though it was turned on in the UI. Told them about the experience but they didn't want to even hear about it. I saw several empty .tmp folders and docs that couldn't be viewed that I never saw prior to all this on SD so I did a factory reset and the phone was pure molasses without reinstalling anything and stock apps just crashed at random. So I took it in and they swapped it for a replacement.

Things worked fine but several months later on this refurbed DX. Same scenario played out again only worse. Lookout was on but couldn't be opened. Account online showed protection was turned off again. When I reset, upon reboot, Motoblur background processes were running in foreground processes, no data, no service could be eatablished. Called VZ spoke with several diff. support personnel. None had heard or seen anything like it. So they sent my contact info. to Moto support and Moto called immediately while still on with VZ. They were clueless as to what would cause this and sent me a DX2 replacement and even sent me another refurbed DX after they recieved it for my troubles.

I can't point a definitive finger on malware but both events had that browsing experience in common. So I'm a little concerned and slightly paranoid that things aren't as safe as we are told. I don't really trust anti virus programs. If they can miss a test virus, they all do btw. How can they give you piece of mind, really? I'm a bit jaded on protection personally but I don't think it's smart to be without some form of additional security parameters on mobile.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I just looked at the Lookout app in the Google store. It doesn't say anything about tracking a new sim card placed in the phone, even in the video. But someone posted on the first page after you choose to show more comments that his wife had lost her phone and that he had got the new number and gave it to the police.

So what's the deal? Does it in fact do that?

:confused:

If you allow Lookout to have admin priveleges, if it's stolen and a new sim card is placed in it. I believe the program logs the new sim cards info. so it can still be tracked down via GPS online. I use Lookout for this reason only. My fiath in it and personal experience with it as malware protection is pretty much kaput.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
SUPER Snip...
I can't point a definitive finger on malware but both events had that browsing experience in common. So I'm a little concerned and slightly paranoid that things aren't as safe as we are told. I don't really trust anti virus programs. If they can miss a test virus, they all do btw. How can they give you piece of mind, really? I'm a bit jaded on protection personally but I don't think it's smart to be without some form of additional security parameters on mobile.

Brother, I would've believed you if you would've just said you had a bad experience lol. Might want to slow down on the "image" search though lol.

Try to remember that unless you're running a proxy, your native process(browser/email/whatever) has access to the data stream before the "anti-virus" and depending on how the author wrote the file-locking mechanism, the AV might not have access to a file until it's downloaded and/or in use.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Brother, I would've believed you if you would've just said you had a bad experience lol. Might want to slow down on the "image" search though lol.

Try to remember that unless you're running a proxy, your native process(browser/email/whatever) has access to the data stream before the "anti-virus" and depending on how the author wrote the file-locking mechanism, the AV might not have access to a file until it's downloaded and/or in use.

Yeah, sorry, I didn't realize it was a long, winding post until submitted. I definitely learned to not partake in certain types of image searches from my "studies". I even got hit using proxies when I got hit by a nasty trojan while using an anonymous "ghost proxy" while running on Windows back in the day, snuck right by AV. I thought that was impenetrable. I always have to learn things the hard way for some reason. Thanks for the tip on the subect of AV authoring. I do think Android is well fortified by Google and won't see anything on the level of Windows attacks.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1