Verizon Rumor - Killing grandfathered unlimited plans

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
This is already being discussed around AC but I wanted to make sure you were all aware of it.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...n-will-kill-grandfathered-unlimited-data.html

Original source:
Verizon will kill 'grandfathered' unlimited data plans, push users to data share - FierceWireless

The idea is that Big Red wants to push us onto data share plans or something similar. Personally if they do this before my contract is up. I'm taking it as them breaking the contract and I will cancel without paying the ETF and go to unlocked GSM. I'll miss LTE, but I prefer freedom over all(which is why I chose Android).

scubieman

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
I agree 100% if they kill unlimited data I'm done. I use about 6 gb a month maybe more. I stream music. The whole point of life now is to stay in touch like Facebook YouTube forums, etc then they want to pull that plug. I will look at sprint if need to be. I have been with Verizon for 8 years. Not scared to switch.

I may call Verizon later just to complain and let voice heard.

cvette93

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I love how they use the argument that most data users don't use over 2GB per month. The problem with this is that Verizon has convinced numerous elderly people, including my grandparents, that they cant live without a smart phone. These people don't even use the web on their phones. So it skews the statistic to where they can legal say that most people done use 2GB of data.

Steve54

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
Crap, I must not have gotten the memo... my life's purpose has had nothing to do with those things - ever.

Rev.

I got it, gave it it's due attention which took about a nanosecond, put it where it belonged, and had a wonderful laugh. :D

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: six8

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
If this tiered/share plan is ridiculous, which it will be. I'll grab an unlocked Nexus and my share will be shared elsewhere at the end of this contract.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
it seems to only be affecting 3G devices (for now at least)

btw, i have a new avatar in protest.

Note to self: Read before posting. I was so flippant when I saw the AC header and LTE highlighted in blue, I glossed right over it being the 3g plans. Thanks for paying attention, for me. I absolutely dread the day it's the 4g plans b/c it's coming, at some point. I fear they've become to greedy for it not to.

P.S. I thought I used a boatload last month, 39GB. Felt guilty, til i saw your 60GB, your a big leaguer.

Last edited:

Vito2000

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Note to self: Read before posting. I was so flippant when I saw the AC header and LTE highlighted in blue, I glossed right over it being the 3g plans. Thanks for paying attention, for me. I absolutely dread the day it's the 4g plans b/c it's coming, at some point. I fear they've become to greedy for it not to.

I hate to say this, but I don't think those of us on 4g will be spared from this. The article talks a lot about getting 3g customers off of unlimited data plans, but it doesn't say that the new restrictions will be limited to 3g customers. Here's a pretty ominous quote from Shammo - "Everyone will be on data share."

I think the sun is setting on our unlimited 4g plans. :-X

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
This is already being discussed around AC but I wanted to make sure you were all aware of it.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...n-will-kill-grandfathered-unlimited-data.html

Original source:
Verizon will kill 'grandfathered' unlimited data plans, push users to data share - FierceWireless

The idea is that Big Red wants to push us onto data share plans or something similar. Personally if they do this before my contract is up. I'm taking it as them breaking the contract and I will cancel without paying the ETF and go to unlocked GSM. I'll miss LTE, but I prefer freedom over all(which is why I chose Android).

There's no way out of it, and you will not be able to get out ETF free. They are not changing the terms of your contract. What they are doing is changing the NEW contract to require tiered data. This will not affect you unless you get upgrade pricing on handsets.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

weave majjik

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I think the real ominous threat lies in what they can when we are off contract. If you are a month to month customer, and paying full price for new handsets, can they change your plan with a "take it or leave it" attitude? Obviously, for power users, it would be cheaper to pay retail for the phone than pay for 8+ gigs a month over the course of even a year, let alone 2... I would imagine the only way they would initially retain customers would be through super cheap on contract high end smartphones, or the knowledge that sprint will eliminate their unlimited plan as well sooner than later.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
FTFA: ""A lot of our 3G base is on unlimited," Shammo said. "When they migrate off 3G they will have to go to data share. That is beneficial to us,because we can rape more people for more cash. You know it is coming, just bend over already."

italics are mine but I am pretty sure he was thinking it....

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Obviously, for power users, it would be cheaper to pay retail for the phone than pay for 8+ gigs a month over the course of even a year

I'm a little confused. How does it make a difference if you don't buy the phone through your plan? Wouldn't you still be bound by their data plan limits regardless?

Rev.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm a little confused. How does it make a difference if you don't buy the phone through your plan? Wouldn't you still be bound by their data plan limits regardless?

Rev.

Yes. At a certain point, you will not have a choice. They will require you to choose a limited plan to use the network.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Especially when your 2 year contract runs out, you essentially get put on a month to month contract. Typically they are under the same terms as the actual contract, but they could change them at the beginning of any month. They throw up a popup that says "Terms and conditions have changed. read them here. Click I agree to continue"

Haw many times have we seen that little statement and just blindly hit "I agree", especially now since we will want to make a damn call.

I just passed 10 gigs for the month....I wonder what the plans are going to be like. I would say that we need a 30GB plan between the 5 phones we have on contract...me using about a third,

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
FTFA: ""A lot of our 3G base is on unlimited," Shammo said. "When they migrate off 3G they will have to go to data share. That is beneficial to us,because we can rape more people for more cash. You know it is coming, just bend over already."

italics are mine but I am pretty sure he was thinking it....

I'm pretty sure his whole statement was just a word jumble and if you rearrange everything it pretty much says everything you said in italics.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Call Verizon. Told me I can keep the unlimited when I upgrade. Had her note my account but of am told otherwise I will bolt . Sprint will get my business

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781