Verizon Upgrade Woes

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
I've been looking to try and upgrade one of my lines on my family plan before the Great Data Depression of 2012 / Verizon bending us over, and have such a difficult time looking at that $30 upgrade fee before checkout. In my effort to try and get that waived or at least offset the cost with a discount, I hit up a representative.
I argued that technically, me having a Rezound and getting a Droid 4 or Razr Maxx was considered a downgrade, and Verizon should waive the fee plus give me a $30 downgrade credit. I didn't even get a chuckle from the service rep. Those stiffs at Big Red have no sense of humor.
There was pretty much no angle I could approach successfully. Unfairness of the "new contract" discount not being valid for current customer upgrades, the $100 off Moto sale not counting toward the Razr Maxx, the whole "I'll just let my contract lapse and take my business elsewhere" bit, nada.
$30 for nothing? Is Verizon that strapped for cash? They might as well ask people to come to the store for their new phone, then mug them at knife-point in the parking lot.
/rant. Thanks for reading.

micwrite

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
They gave us that sweet cheap taste over the years and now that they know we're hooked, they own us. We are just another junkie to them....

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I've been looking to try and upgrade one of my lines on my family plan before the Great Data Depression of 2012 / Verizon bending us over, and have such a difficult time looking at that $30 upgrade fee before checkout. In my effort to try and get that waived or at least offset the cost with a discount, I hit up a representative.
I argued that technically, me having a Rezound and getting a Droid 4 or Razr Maxx was considered a downgrade, and Verizon should waive the fee plus give me a $30 downgrade credit. I didn't even get a chuckle from the service rep. Those stiffs at Big Red have no sense of humor.
There was pretty much no angle I could approach successfully. Unfairness of the "new contract" discount not being valid for current customer upgrades, the $100 off Moto sale not counting toward the Razr Maxx, the whole "I'll just let my contract lapse and take my business elsewhere" bit, nada.
$30 for nothing? Is Verizon that strapped for cash? They might as well ask people to come to the store for their new phone, then mug them at knife-point in the parking lot.

Accidentally break whatever phone you're trying to upgrade....blame it on problems with that line of phone(and every one they send you afterward) until they give you the upgrade for free. lol.. Stick it to em.

Oh wait you're in my area. I had an offer to trade a Rezound for a Maxx. Hit me up if you want the details.

centerwaters

May 2, 2012
Visit site
I argued that technically, me having a Rezound and getting a Droid 4 or Razr Maxx was considered a downgrade, and Verizon should waive the fee plus give me a $30 downgrade credit. .

The speed limit on the nearest freeway is 65mph. People who drive 10mph above can get
speeding tickets that cost $150. On the other hand, I only drive 10mph under the speed
limit, at 55mph, so I believe I'm entitled to get $150 whenever I'm drive on the freeway.

jimbl

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
The speed limit on the nearest freeway is 65mph. People who drive 10mph above can get
speeding tickets that cost $150. On the other hand, I only drive 10mph under the speed
limit, at 55mph, so I believe I'm entitled to get $150 whenever I'm drive on the freeway.

Nice thought, too bad Greed is a one way street.

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site

Yeah, no. D+ for effort.
Try driving 20 MPH over the limit and come across a $300 ticket instead, with a $30 fine upgrade fee added by the officer to make it $330.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Contrary to Verizon saying the fee is for "workshops and the like", it's basically an iPhone tax due to the high subsidy carriers incur with it. All major carriers’ have this upgrade fee now. It sucks, but nothing we can do about it. It's a done deal. :(

Hotweelz

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site

Last week several retailers were offering a $40 bill credit for buying a 4g phone. I think Amazon & Wirefly were doing this also, not sure if they still are.

STC09

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site

Actually you're just entitled to be flipped off and have your family history questioned.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, no. D+ for effort.
Try driving 20 MPH over the limit and come across a $300 ticket instead, with a $30 fine upgrade fee added by the officer to make it $330.

Since they haven't announced when this is going to hit, maybe wait for the RAZR HD MAXX SUPER ULTRA MEGA edition to hit. That should drive the price of the MAXX down.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
The problem is Verizon right now has the best network in the USA and they know it. They were the only major carrier to add new customers last quarter. They get people like me willing to leave their AT&T unlimited contract to get much better coverage and data to be on Verizon.

Unless people walk away Verizon will continue to treat their customers like other carriers. If you switch you will not avoid the upgrade fee from other companies the next time you upgrade. All carriers charge the upgrade fee. They only way I see to avoid it is to switch carriers each time your contract is up for renewal.

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Since they haven't announced when this is going to hit, maybe wait for the RAZR HD MAXX SUPER ULTRA MEGA edition to hit. That should drive the price of the MAXX down.

Now MrSmith, you know me. I have appearances to keep. Once that phone hits, I have to adopt it early. :cool:

blackbyrd

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I was due for an upgrade. That $30 upgrade fee just didn't sit well with me, so I went to Craigslist. I got an as good as new phone, under warranty by the manufacturer, for cheaper than vz was charging. And the only reason I thought to look was because of big red's greed.

Sent from my Rezound intermittently, while chasing a toddler & an infant, using Android Central Forums

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
If you bought it used, just beware that legally speaking, the warranty only applies to the original purchaser

Yeah, I was due for an upgrade. That $30 upgrade fee just didn't sit well with me, so I went to Craigslist. I got an as good as new phone, under warranty by the manufacturer, for cheaper than vz was charging. And the only reason I thought to look was because of big red's greed.

Sent from my Rezound intermittently, while chasing a toddler & an infant, using Android Central Forums

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Is this better than the upcoming fighter or Razr hd?

Based on Motorola's Chinese releases, it's safe to assume that it'll have a similar if not identical form factor of the Razr, but the camera will be bumped up in megapixels and the screen will sport HD resolution. It's highly likely that it'll ship with ICS as well. Everyone is expecting the Maxx battery to be there, too.
If all this is worth two extra C notes to you (assuming the Razr Maxx dips down to $99), then wait it out. To me, it's not. So I'll scoop up the Maxx on sale. The screen is plenty good as it is.

Delawareduff

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
When they take my unlimited data away they will no longer have me anymore, I will then go to whoever has the best deal each time my contract is up ...

Sent from my Rezound

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463