My HTC Rezound Experience

android4life007

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
So first of all I would like to say that I really like this phone, the specs make it one of the best phones out there.

Unfortunately, I have been having serious issues to do with the Mobile Hotspot, I keep losing the network signal whenever I turn it on. Sometimes it will work for 5-15 mins but about 90% of the time it drops the signal almost immediately. I signed up for the 12Gb plan with Verizon a month ago and their techs have tried pretty much every trick in the book including replacing the phone and it still does not work properly at all. One of the Tier 2 techs told me that this a problem to do with HTC and that the upcoming ICS update should resolve the problem. Anyone else have this same problem and managed to fix it somehow? If so I would really love to hear from you!!!

Verizon also sent me a Samsung Nexus as a replacement phone, I thought the Nexus would be good but I would constantly have only 3G and one bar signal strength. The Nexus also does not allow you to use the USB tether option to connect your PC to the internet which sucks really bad. Even when I updated the Nexus to the ICS 4.0.4 update it still does not give me a strong signal. The Nexus is a huge disappoint for me, the Rezound always gives me 4G with at least 4 bars signal strength and the resolution is far superior to the Nexus. Have you tried watching a movie on the Nexus? Its terrible, its so blurry my daughter would not even watch her favorite show on it.
I could not update the Nexus until I found out if you manually delete the "Google Services Framework" temp files then the update works straight away. Why does Verizon not put this information on their website or something? I will not be keeping the Nexus, i would rather stick it out with the Rezound.

Anyway, I would appreciate any kind of insight into my Mobile Hotspot problem. Im thinking of deleting the "Google Services Framework" temp files and seeing if I can get an update that will fix my Rezound...does anyone know if this will mess my phone up? :confused:

All in all, the Rezound Rocks and in my opinion it is one of the best phones on the market.

If you are still reading this then thank you for your time :)

xesso

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
i don't use wifi tether but you may wanna see about the Razr Maxx, ask in that forum to see if they any problems with it and also see if VZW will give you a replacement Razr Maxx and see how that works out for you

leroybrute

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I have 4 rezounds and run the hotspot on 2 of them. On 1 I have run a laptop and 2 tablets since November and no issues with em. I just ran speed test on my asus tf300 and got 26 mb down and 13 mb up while using my rezound hotspot. I dont understand how 2 in a row drops in 15 minutes for you.

DRKayak

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I believe it has to do with the priorities given to hotspots in the whole cellular tower network data hierarchy.

Hotspots have low priority as compared to voice and are often knocked off of towers.

Your experience may vary based on your local tower conditions.

android4life007

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
see if VZW will give you a replacement Razr Maxx and see how that works out for you

Actually it was quite an ordeal just to convince the VZW supervisors to approve me a Samsung Nexus. I thought that would be the end to my phone problems but the Nexus was even worse than the Spectrum they had sent me earlier!
I am just going to keep my Rezound because it gets the best signal where I live and there is absolutely nothing else wrong with it except the Mobile Hotspot not working. Hopefully the ICS update coming up soon wil fix this problem, if not well at least I can connect to the internet via USB tether. The USB tether method works perfectly.

android4life007

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
I have 4 rezounds and run the hotspot on 2 of them. On 1 I have run a laptop and 2 tablets since November and no issues with em. I just ran speed test on my asus tf300 and got 26 mb down and 13 mb up while using my rezound hotspot. I dont understand how 2 in a row drops in 15 minutes for you.

You have 4 Rezounds??? Wow you must really like this phone huh? Well I'm glad you have no problems running your mobile hotspot and it seems like you get blazing fast speeds as well. I live in Central California on the outskirts of Sacramento, I live pretty close to shopping malls, restaurants etc. so I am not in the middle of nowhere or anything so I am not sure why I am getting weak reception on the Samsung Nexus and frequent hotspot drops on my Rezound.

android4life007

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
You could always take the plunge and flash one of the ICS leaks and see if that fixes the issue

Actually I have thinking about that for a long time now, I am just very inexperienced doing anything like that and worried I might mess up my phone. I think I will just read up some more on Unlocking and Rooting so it wont seem so daunting to me.
Do you happen to know of any Noob guides out there for the Rezound???

DRKayak

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
If the article previously quoted and my theory that it is all about tower connection priority, no amount of rooting or OTA upgrades will help. It's all in the hands of Verizon in assigning priorities for cell tower pickup.

That's not going to change any time soon.

Reactions: android4life007

android4life007

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
If the article previously quoted and my theory that it is all about tower connection priority, no amount of rooting or OTA upgrades will help. It's all in the hands of Verizon in assigning priorities for cell tower pickup.

That's not going to change any time soon.

Yes that articled previously quoted was very informative. I spoke to a Verizon employee at the corporate office today and he said the exact same thing as you. I also spoke to another Verizon employee there that has a Rezound as well and he said his Mobile Hotspot works perfectly :confused:

Thank goodness my USB tether method works!

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Reactions: android4life007

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
You have 4 Rezounds??? Wow you must really like this phone huh? Well I'm glad you have no problems running your mobile hotspot and it seems like you get blazing fast speeds as well. I live in Central California on the outskirts of Sacramento, I live pretty close to shopping malls, restaurants etc. so I am not in the middle of nowhere or anything so I am not sure why I am getting weak reception on the Samsung Nexus and frequent hotspot drops on my Rezound.

We have 4 Rezounds in our family and one with a Mobile hotspot. I have not had any problems getting it to work expect for Friday at the Atl Airport, the whole LTE network was very slow.

I am not sure what to recommend. I would take Mr. Smith's suggestion and try a different SIM.

Ed

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site

*high five* for also having a tf300 and a rezound. I cannot boast 4 though lol

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
THe guide above is good the only thing that i would say is go with S-Off. It will save you hassles later with flashing.

The wire trick. meh.....:-\

Root the phone and stay with Ginger bread on custom ROM. Never any problems at all.

ICS is over rated, IMO.

android4life007

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
I remember there being a fix for this. I'm fairly sure it was related to the LTE SIM. Have Verizon swap out your SIM.

I tried 3 different SIM cards on 2 different Rezounds and the Mobile Hotspot still did not work. At least I can still use the USB tether option. Hopefully the OTA ICS update will fix this issue although I will not hold my breathe :-\

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair