Why do some Apps Demand so many Permissions?!!!

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
iOS/Windows phone apps process is a bit different, all apps would be reviewed by Apple/Microsoft before going to the market.

The apps are basically under controlled by Apple/Microsoft. It has its advantage but there are disadvantages as well.
Pros: Malware will have nearly no chance to go in market
Cons: (1) Apple/ Microsoft can reject your fantastic app if your app just happen to be competitive with their/their partners' apps (2) they cannot control how the developers will be making use of your data. (3) It takes more than 2 weeks

However, if they screw up, you'd bet all consumers will be affected because there is no way to check permissions at clients' end easily (they hide everything), so basically if you are a iOS/Windows phone user you have probably been giving info to a lot of apps without any awareness.

Thanks for that info. I knew of the review process but not what it entailred.

Sent from my PMID1000B using Tapatalk HD

android4life007

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
I remember when I first started this thread I only had a few Apps. Now I have dozens lol :p
But I defintely do not install Apps that ask to see my contacts unless it is an extremely trustworthy company and its an App that I really need like the Yahoo App.

Ever since I started installing Apps (mostly games for my daughter) I have been receiving Spam......like alot of Spam! I usually receive around 20 or more show up in my junk folder everyday. Its very annoying. I guess I am just going to have change emails which sucks because I have to change my contact info with my bank, friends etc. :-(

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
What apps are you installing? I have yet to get any at all. Spam of course being defined as something I didn't sign up for. Try airpush detector and see if you have something going on there that is causing notification spam.

Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.

android4life007

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
Well I have just been installing most trending games from the Play store, nothing really out of the ordinary. Thanks for the suggestion, i installed Airpush and it said that it couldn't find anything at all. I am just not really sure how these spammers got my email because I am extremely reluctant to share my business email with anyone. As of right now I have 115 in my spam folder after 3-4 days :-\

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I swear to you, I try apps all the time and outside of swiftkey I do not get any. I must have over 200 apps that I installed at one time or another but spam I don't have...

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
All it takes is 1 exposure of that email address - not necessarily through an app. You fall into one list, and that list becomes part of larger lists & another list & another....

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Lactose The Intolerant

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I remember when I first started this thread I only had a few Apps. Now I have dozens lol :p
But I defintely do not install Apps that ask to see my contacts unless it is an extremely trustworthy company and its an App that I really need like the Yahoo App.

Ever since I started installing Apps (mostly games for my daughter) I have been receiving Spam......like alot of Spam! I usually receive around 20 or more show up in my junk folder everyday. Its very annoying. I guess I am just going to have change emails which sucks because I have to change my contact info with my bank, friends etc. :-(

What are the chances that your daughter was playing some innocent game like 'Hello Kitty Island Adventure' or 'Barbie's Beauty Makeover' and selected "yes tell me more!" from within the game... next thing you know, your email address ends up on a list and gets sold / shared -- and you end up with lots of spam.

Oh, regarding permissions -- sure it's something to watch but don't forget there is a lot of "interconnectivity" behind the scenes... I was surprised when Maps wanted access to my phone but you know when you are looking something up via Maps and you click on the phone number from the screen? That permission launches the dailer rather than you having to open it up and punch in the number. Same goes for the network access in order to access website from Maps.

Advertising is another reason apps need permission -- that's how you are targeted with location-based ads. Sort of like moving to a new house and suddenly getting "welcome to the neighborhood" offers from Lowe's and Bed, Bath & Beyond :p

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Well said. The interconnectivity is what everyone one forgets... Until they don't have it anymore like Apple did to HTC a year ago or so.

kmodek

May 4, 2012
Visit site
You seriously think Apple/devs aren't getting any access to your phone and info? You are exactly the customer they're looking for.

ponderoni

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I am new to smartphones and have been appalled at the permissions "necessary" to some apps.

I understand why the flashlight needs to access your camera flash, but others are nuts!

Why does any app need to be able to (I apologize in advance for my newbie Cut and Paste technique.):

MODIFY OR DELETE THE CONTENTS OF YOUR USB STORAGE
MODIFY OR DELETE THE CONTENTS OF YOUR SD CARD
ADD OR REMOVE ACCOUNTS
Allows the app to perform operations like adding and removing accounts, and deleting their password.
CREATE ACCOUNTS AND SET PASSWORDS
Allows the app to use the account authenticator capabilities of the AccountManager, including creating accounts and getting and setting their passwords.
DIRECTLY CALL PHONE NUMBERS
Allows the app to call phone numbers without your intervention. This may result in unexpected charges or calls. Note that this doesn't allow the app to call emergency numbers. Malicious apps may cost you money by making calls without your confirmation.
SEND SMS MESSAGES
Allows the app to send SMS messages. This may result in unexpected charges. Malicious apps may cost you money by sending messages without your confirmation.
EDIT YOUR TEXT MESSAGES (SMS OR MMS)
Allows the app to write to SMS messages stored on your tablet or SIM card. Malicious apps may delete your messages.
RECEIVE TEXT MESSAGES (SMS)
Allows the app to receive and process SMS messages. This means the app could monitor or delete messages sent to your device without showing them to you.
EDIT YOUR TEXT MESSAGES (SMS OR MMS)
Allows the app to write to SMS messages stored on your tablet or SIM card. Malicious apps may delete your messages.
READ YOUR TEXT MESSAGES (SMS OR MMS)
Allows the app to read SMS messages stored on your tablet or SIM card. This allows the app to read all SMS messages, regardless of content or confidentiality.
READ YOUR CONTACTS
READ CALENDAR EVENTS PLUS CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION
ADD OR MODIFY CALENDAR EVENTS AND SEND EMAIL TO GUESTS WITHOUT OWNERS' KNOWLEDGE
MODIFY YOUR CONTACTS

Almost all of these are from speech to text apps.
I would really like to pursue the concept of speech to text, but I find some of these permissions scary, if not downright evil.
Am I a lost cause, or can someone offer some words of guidance (even encouragement)? :confused:

BTW, I've used Google Play exclusively and checked out link by piizzadude. (Thanks, piizzadude.)

Last edited:

Lactose The Intolerant

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I am new to smartphones and have been appalled at the permissions "necessary" to some apps.

I understand why the flashlight needs to access your camera flash, but others are nuts!

Why does any app need to be able to (I apologize in advance for my newbie Cut and Paste technique.):

For any app, it's how things are done in the background... the special little things that you take for granted: when you are looking at Maps and there is a phone number listed for an address, it is the phone permission that lets you click on the number and automatically call it -- otherwise you need to write/memorize the number, close maps, open phone dialer and dial the number.

If you send a message from within an app, permissions allow edit/send from your SMS (short message service) or MMS (multimedia message service)...

If you're in one app and you get a text, it is the read contacts permission that lets the system identify "hey, you just got a message from your bud Contact_02"

GPS permissions allow area-specific ads to show up in free apps... doesn't make sense to get an ad for a restaurant in San Diego when you're in Anchorage.

Neil Ium

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
Today after getting a paltalk update for my pc, the webpage offered an application for android.. so, when the page opened in google play store I looked at it and the other most popular one. Then I read the permissions, it gave the owners permission to do and take anything and everything even clear out my sd card make a list of all my calls and messages the list was gigantic.
This was for TANGO application. Permissions; Would you install this?

Permissions
THIS APPLICATION HAS ACCESS TO THE FOLLOWING:
YOUR ACCOUNTS
ADD OR REMOVE ACCOUNTS
Allows the app to perform operations like adding and removing accounts, and deleting their password.
CREATE ACCOUNTS AND SET PASSWORDS
Allows the app to use the account authenticator capabilities of the AccountManager, including creating accounts and getting and setting their passwords.
HARDWARE CONTROLS
TAKE PICTURES AND VIDEOS
Allows the app to take pictures and videos with the camera. This permission allows the app to use the camera at any time without your confirmation.
CHANGE YOUR AUDIO SETTINGS
Allows the app to modify global audio settings such as volume and which speaker is used for output.
YOUR MESSAGES
RECEIVE TEXT MESSAGES (SMS)
Allows the app to receive and process SMS messages. This means the app could monitor or delete messages sent to your device without showing them to you.
NETWORK COMMUNICATION
FULL NETWORK ACCESS
Allows the app to create network sockets and use custom network protocols. The browser and other applications provide means to send data to the internet, so this permission is not required to send data to the internet.
PAIR WITH BLUETOOTH DEVICES
Allows the app to view the configuration of Bluetooth on the tablet, and to make and accept connections with paired devices. Allows the app to view the configuration of the Bluetooth on the phone, and to make and accept connections with paired devices.
YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
READ SENSITIVE LOG DATA
Allows the app to read from the system's various log files. This allows it to discover general information about what you are doing with the tablet, potentially including personal or private information. Allows the app to read from the system's various log files. This allows it to discover general information about what you are doing with the phone, potentially including personal or private information.
READ YOUR CONTACTS
Allows the app to read data about your contacts stored on your tablet, including the frequency with which you've called, emailed, or communicated in other ways with specific individuals. This permission allows apps to save your contact data, and malicious apps may share contact data without your knowledge. Allows the app to read data about your contacts stored on your phone, including the frequency with which you've called, emailed, or communicated in other ways with specific individuals. This permission allows apps to save your contact data, and malicious apps may share contact data without your knowledge.
MODIFY YOUR CONTACTS
Allows the app to modify the data about your contacts stored on your tablet, including the frequency with which you've called, emailed, or communicated in other ways with specific contacts. This permission allows apps to delete contact data. Allows the app to modify the data about your contacts stored on your phone, including the frequency with which you've called, emailed, or communicated in other ways with specific contacts. This permission allows apps to delete contact data.
PHONE CALLS
REROUTE OUTGOING CALLS
Allows the app to process outgoing calls and change the number to be dialed. This permission allows the app to monitor, redirect, or prevent outgoing calls.
READ PHONE STATUS AND IDENTITY
Allows the app to access the phone features of the device. This permission allows the app to determine the phone number and device IDs, whether a call is active, and the remote number connected by a call.
STORAGE
MODIFY OR DELETE THE CONTENTS OF YOUR USB STORAGE MODIFY OR DELETE THE CONTENTS OF YOUR SD CARD
Allows the app to write to the USB storage. Allows the app to write to the SD card.
SYSTEM TOOLS
PREVENT TABLET FROM SLEEPING PREVENT PHONE FROM SLEEPING
Allows the app to prevent the tablet from going to sleep. Allows the app to prevent the phone from going to sleep.
DISABLE YOUR SCREEN LOCK
Allows the app to disable the keylock and any associated password security. For example, the phone disables the keylock when receiving an incoming phone call, then re-enables the keylock when the call is finished.
CONNECT AND DISCONNECT FROM WI-FI
Allows the app to connect to and disconnect from Wi-Fi access points and to make changes to device configuration for Wi-Fi networks.
CHANGE NETWORK CONNECTIVITY
Allows the app to change the state of network connectivity.
TOGGLE SYNC ON AND OFF
Allows an app to modify the sync settings for an account. For example, this can be used to enable sync of the People app with an account.
Hide
YOUR ACCOUNTS
FIND ACCOUNTS ON THE DEVICE
Allows the app to get the list of accounts known by the tablet. This may include any accounts created by applications you have installed. Allows the app to get the list of accounts known by the phone. This may include any accounts created by applications you have installed.
HARDWARE CONTROLS
CONTROL VIBRATION
Allows the app to control the vibrator.
NETWORK COMMUNICATION
VIEW WI-FI CONNECTIONS
Allows the app to view information about Wi-Fi networking, such as whether Wi-Fi is enabled and name of connected Wi-Fi devices.
VIEW NETWORK CONNECTIONS
Allows the app to view information about network connections such as which networks exist and are connected.
RECEIVE DATA FROM INTERNET
Allows apps to accept cloud to device messages sent by the app's service. Using this service will incur data usage. Malicious apps could cause excess data usage.
SYSTEM TOOLS
RUN AT STARTUP
Allows the app to have itself started as soon as the system has finished booting. This can make it take longer to start the tablet and allow the app to slow down the overall tablet by always running. Allows the app to have itself started as soon as the system has finished booting. This can make it take longer to start the phone and allow the app to slow down the overall phone by always running.
READ SYNC SETTINGS
Allows the app to read the sync settings for an account. For example, this can determine whether the People app is synced with an account.
TEST ACCESS TO PROTECTED STORAGE TEST ACCESS TO PROTECTED STORAGE
Allows the app to test a permission for USB storage that will be available on future devices. Allows the app to test a permission for the SD card that will be available on future devices.
READ CALL LOG
Allows the app to read your tablet's call log, including data about incoming and outgoing calls. This permission allows apps to save your call log data, and malicious apps may share call log data without your knowledge. Allows the app to read your phone's call log, including data about incoming and outgoing calls. This permission allows apps to save your call log data, and malicious apps may share call log data without your knowledge.
WRITE CALL LOG
Allows the app to modify your tablet's call log, including data about incoming and outgoing calls. Malicious apps may use this to erase or modify your call log. Allows the app to modify your phone's call log, including data about incoming and outgoing calls. Malicious apps may use this to erase or modify your call log.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Ugh, Tango Text, Video & Voice? I installed it once at the request of an iPhone user. Hated the app - it pushes ads and deals each time you open it (at least, at the time). Even after uninstalling, my name appeared on the other user's Tango contact list. I had to email Tango support to demand that my account be fully stripped from the system, which they did do within 24 hours.

There were a lot of permissions, but nothing sinister has happened as far as I know. I don't even get spam from the company, nor has any of the people in my address book.

I told the same iPhone user, if they want to video/voice chat with me, download Google+ or Google Talk.

Double Aught Code

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone know why most Apps require so many permissions?
Its unacceptable for a basic Flashlight App to need special permissions in 9 very sensitive areas of my phone. I can easily see how a group of Devs can use this to their advantage and screw you over silently by selling your information to hackers or hack into your phone themselves or something sneaky like that. Alot of Apps demand permission to see what your camera sees which is a huge privacy issue. :mad:

I seen some people on here have problems with Pop-Ups and stuff after installing Apps that don't even work properly. I installed Fruit Ninja and I kept getting random McD's ads popping up when i was surfing the web WTF? Uninstalled straight away. :mad:

I really would like to install some more Apps on my Rezound but I don't know who to trust?!
I am looking for a Photo editing App that would be better than the stock camera I have now.
Does anyone know which App I can really trust?
I also have the AVG Free App on my Rezound at the moment to try to keep my phone safe from hackers, viruses etc.

I found 1 App called Shadow Galaxy from Maxelus.net and its a pretty bad ass live wallpaper App. All of the Apps from these Devs do not require any permissions at all! Why can't all Apps be like them? :-\

I would be interested in know what kind of Apps other people use ;)
What are your 3 Must-Have Apps that you trust and use?
(Not including basic Google Apps, Gmail, Maps etc.)

Thanks for your time! :)

Its one of two groups that cuase this; the first are just people to 'involved' in other things to care about it and since they are real life honest joe's and jane's who mean us no harm so this question seems like onyl a paranoid person would ask; the other would be your criminal varities (eg. ID thieves, predators, pedophiles, ect.).

However, this question also answers why there are so few Android SPECIFIC viruses. A lot of people are also jailbreaking (written by unknown person(s)) or buying unlocked phones so they dont understand that those who are not, it is after all against the law to unlock a phone yourself for now, cant restrict as much communictaive features on their phones. They exist as USER accounts and not SUPER_USER or ADMINISTORATOR. Why bother writing new virus scripts when people just hand there entire network connectivity over to you... can it be argued in court they didnt even steal from you as you GAVE them permissions to ANY information traded on your phone...

that doesn't sound smart for a phone at all.

You do pose a very serious question though that most regular people should have a bit more concern when it breaks down to it. Its not necessary, nor is it right, for a flashlight to mointor your calls, change your network/call settings, and such... there is just ZERO reason that can logically be explained. All SUPER_USER/ADMINISTRATOR functions will over ride and USER base installed application so how is this not just lazy coding if there is no real malice behind it?

Mmmmm... a smell the change of truth :-* .

Lactose The Intolerant

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
All it takes is 1 exposure of that email address - not necessarily through an app. You fall into one list, and that list becomes part of larger lists & another list & another....
Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

When we signed up with the cable company, I used: <First Name, wife's maiden name, Last Name> ... this is the only account I have ever done that with. Now, when I get spam snail mail with that name, I know exactly where it originated.... FU, Comcast!! :p

android4life007

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
Certain Apps/Games like Zenoia5 require full access to your personal contacts and call history. I certainly do not feel comfortable with that. Imagine a stranger going through your contacts, phone history, text messages, internet history etc. And seriously though, that game has no real need for these permissions.
I have Webroot Pro installed on all my Adroid devices so sometimes I get a screen pop up warning me about some Apps known to be "Shady". After investigating further I usually unistall the App.
I have heard horror stories about people receiving many phone calls from Telemarketers after downloading some Apps! That would suck big time! lol :mad:

bic252

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
It is time to not letting these "permissions" go unheeded.
The app developers are making a ton of cash from your
apathy about your privacy. No more of this, "they are going to find
things out anyways, so why worry about it?"
Deny the "permissions", and they will stop it.
Hay, folks, get out of the lemming, and kool-aid line.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adelinachau53674