Why do some Apps Demand so many Permissions?!!!

android4life007

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know why most Apps require so many permissions?
Its unacceptable for a basic Flashlight App to need special permissions in 9 very sensitive areas of my phone. I can easily see how a group of Devs can use this to their advantage and screw you over silently by selling your information to hackers or hack into your phone themselves or something sneaky like that. Alot of Apps demand permission to see what your camera sees which is a huge privacy issue. :mad:

I seen some people on here have problems with Pop-Ups and stuff after installing Apps that don't even work properly. I installed Fruit Ninja and I kept getting random McD's ads popping up when i was surfing the web WTF? Uninstalled straight away. :mad:

I really would like to install some more Apps on my Rezound but I don't know who to trust?!
I am looking for a Photo editing App that would be better than the stock camera I have now.
Does anyone know which App I can really trust?
I also have the AVG Free App on my Rezound at the moment to try to keep my phone safe from hackers, viruses etc.

I found 1 App called Shadow Galaxy from Maxelus.net and its a pretty bad ass live wallpaper App. All of the Apps from these Devs do not require any permissions at all! Why can't all Apps be like them? :-\

I would be interested in know what kind of Apps other people use ;)
What are your 3 Must-Have Apps that you trust and use?
(Not including basic Google Apps, Gmail, Maps etc.)

Thanks for your time! :)

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't worry so much. Most of the apps are safe and require the permissions to function properly. Just go with the most mainstream ones that are featured or downloaded most since you're uneasy about it.

Reactions: android4life007

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Only get apps from amazon or Google. Those are trusted ones and Google has a bounce system for rogue apps. Not to b crude but plenty of topics and blogs about permissions. The avg is just feeding on your paranoid state. If u get a virus which is unlikely you wipe your phone and start over. Every app needs some type of permissions. To me it sounds like your getting apps from the black market and those are the apps that would scare me. Flash light app case in point uses camera flash ie that's why it ask permission for camera. Its not going to go rogue and start taking pictures when your sleeping. And yes some apps have adds either popup screen or even being clever and outting them in the notification bar. Since app is free they make money on adds. Stick with Google play store and you'll b fine.

sfreemanoh

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
moosc, apps show up in the market all the time which basically create backdoors into your phone for hackers to use. They're generally removed fairly quickly, but they do show up. And Google's bounce system is basically us... Anyone can post a new app in the Play Store, and it's only once people start reporting it for whatever reason that they get removed.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Hm no there scanned before reaching the market here's a good article to read explaining it. http://m.zdnetasia.com/google-now-scanning-android-apps-for-malware-62303716.htm
moosc, apps show up in the market all the time which basically create backdoors into your phone for hackers to use. They're generally removed fairly quickly, but they do show up. And Google's bounce system is basically us... Anyone can post a new app in the Play Store, and it's only once people start reporting it for whatever reason that they get removed.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

jimbl

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know why most Apps require so many permissions?

What are your 3 Must-Have Apps that you trust and use?
(Not including basic Google Apps, Gmail, Maps etc.)

Thanks for your time! :)

The top 2 are easy. Dropbox and Any.DO

From there, 3rd place is tough. I use the ESPN ScoreCenter app a lot. Pixlr-o-matic is an awesome camera / editor. Paper Camera is just cool. An app called Familiar is awesome to easily share pictures with family and friends. SwiftKey has been my keyboard choice for a while, and I've tried a lot of them, and always come back to SwiftKey. Evernote is super useful.

All apps I use regularly and trust.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
To each their own regarding apps and their permissions, but there's no fault in being wary and questioning those you see in some apps. Case in point, I recently dumped Beautiful Widgets (a popular app) due to their increasing addition of permissions (regardless of them screwing up the app with recent updates), some of which appear dubious for what the app is suppose to provide. The permissions were probably fine, but I just no longer felt comfortable with them to justify any potential risk. Bottom line; by all means check the permissions before installing as well as any subsequent updates. Don't just blindly accept them. If you're uncomfortable with any of them, contact the app developer or dump the app and find an alternative you're comfortable with. :)

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
With that line of thinking you better wrap your phone in foil and where one also. But really if your that paranoid you may better with a dumb phone and not have to worry with permissions. May be Google changed something and BW had to adjust its permissions or maybe they tweak there app.
To each their own regarding apps and their permissions, but there's no fault in being wary and questioning those you see in some apps. Case in point, I recently dumped Beautiful Widgets (a popular app) due to their increasing addition of permissions (regardless of them screwing up the app with recent updates), some of which appear dubious for what the app is suppose to provide. The permissions were probably fine, but I just no longer felt comfortable with them to justify any potential risk. Bottom line; by all means check the permissions before installing as well as any subsequent updates. Don't just blindly accept them. If you're uncomfortable with any of them, contact the app developer or dump the app and find an alternative you're comfortable with. :)

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
You can always email the app dev. to see what the purpose is for the permissions and why they change, remove or add them, if it appears questionable? I've never not received an answer from any dev. I've asked for that info.

metz65

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Hm no there scanned before reaching the market here's a good article to read explaining it. http://m.zdnetasia.com/google-now-scanning-android-apps-for-malware-62303716.htm

Great article but if you Google "Google bouncer" you will find articles about how many flaws it has that can easily be exploited.

Because someone is worried about the permissions they grant to a developer your advice is to wrap their phone and themselves in tinfoil, or use a dumb phone.
You talk like the Google play store is happy smiley land where nothing bad can happen and oompa loompas sing catchy tunes as we download our 100% certified safe applications.

If a flashlight app requested permission to your contacts, to send text messages, make phone calls and use services that cost you money you wouldn't question that? Would you download it anyway because Googles great and mighty bouncer let it into the market?

In my opinion the people who need tinfoil are the ones naive enough to think there aren't people out there mimicking Pavlov's dog every time they find a way to exploit the unwary.

There is a big difference between paranoia and common sense.

I don't care what kind of phone you use, that's not how I judge someone's worth or intelligence. Sent using tapatalk 2.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Great article but if you Google "Google bouncer" you will find articles about how many flaws it has that can easily be exploited.

Because someone is worried about the permissions they grant to a developer your advice is to wrap their phone and themselves in tinfoil, or use a dumb phone.
You talk like the Google play store is happy smiley land where nothing bad can happen and oompa loompas sing catchy tunes as we download our 100% certified safe applications.

If a flashlight app requested permission to your contacts, to send text messages, make phone calls and use services that cost you money you wouldn't question that? Would you download it anyway because Googles great and mighty bouncer let it into the market?

In my opinion the people who need tinfoil are the ones naive enough to think there aren't people out there mimicking Pavlov's dog every time they find a way to exploit the unwary.

There is a big difference between paranoia and common sense.

I don't care what kind of phone you use, that's not how I judge someone's worth or intelligence. Sent using tapatalk 2.

I didn't read the articles but anyime I do read something about Google catching wind of app exploits in the market/play store it's usually after it's been downloaded by several thousand before removal.

android4life007

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
Personally I'm not really super paranoid, I just know for a fact that some Apps absolutely do not need certain permissions in order for the App to function and yet they ask anyway.
I've been around the block a few times and I usually know when something doesn't seem right. I'm really not the type of person with a naive like mentality who will just blindly accept anything a person asks of me.
And like metz65 said: "There is a big difference between paranoia and common sense."

I see alot of Apps are Free...but if you look at some of the permissions they are not Free because in exchange you must give them 24\7 access to your phone and your personal information.
Example = Basic Flashlight App: Requested Permissions =

- System Tools: You give them Access to change your configuration on your UI, permission to change Global System Settings on your phone
- Phone Calls: They can determine your phone number, serial number, all the contacts on your phone, whether a call is active, the numbers you are calling and the like
- Full Internet Access-allows App to create network sockets
- Hardware Controls: This allows the App to collect images the camera is seeing at any time
There are a few more permissions here for this App but these are the worst. I've seen Apps that do alot more than turn on your phones flash and they did not require such permissions.
All these permissions and all you get in exchange is an Application that can turn your Phone's camera flash on/off....really!? Would you give a random stranger you met on the street this kind of information? I don't think it would be hard to find someone who could exploit this type of information. I can see Apps like this easily selling your information to marketers or other companies for profit. :-$

I was just wondering what other people thought about this subject because it's been on my mind for a while and the responses so far have been quite interesting. Since I started this thread I have actually installed 4-5 apps and I feel alot more comfortable downloading Apps now but I still also diligently look at the reputation of the App and what the Apps are asking for in return.

I understand most Apps are harmless but I also know its not all sunshine and rainbows in the world so we all should work together and keep our eyes and ears open and help each other out along the way. ;)
I would still be interested to hear about others experiences or thoughts/knowledge on this subject :)

mchan1

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
The issue I have with the Android apps when it wants to get permission is ... WHY?

If I download a Battery Meter app, WHY the FUDGE does the app Require access to my personal contacts? My telephone number? My location?

Can someone explain WHY the app needs to access that information when all it's going to do is measure the battery life?!

Why aren't people up in arms with the developers who want permission to "access" information that is NOT "truly needed" to run the app?

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I say this not to put you off but to educate.

Some do ask for stupid permissions, some unneeded and you will see why that is bad in the link I am going to give you.

If you think an app is over asking for permissions use this link to educate yourself and check why the app needs what it asks for: Android Permissions Demystified

if you find an app asking for too much, dont use it. There are alternatives

williamsl632

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I recently purchased an android phone and when I went to add some apps I was surprised and worried about the privacy with all the permissions. My experience into the world of apps has been with Apple products which have no permissions for their apps. When I looked at the paid apps some required even more permissions than the free ones. I did find a few apps that had no permissions so I downloaded a couple. After mulling it over for a day I returned the phone. I will not use any phone that requires so much unlimited access. If you are worried about privacy issues too get an iPhone they don't cost much more than an android and there's no privacy issues. In case someone thinks I work for Apple I don't and won't ever receive a dime for this review. How the android phones could possibly be so popular is beyond me.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Lol... It doesn't ask you for permissions, it takes them. At least with android you know what's going on... And you can find out why.

Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Wait, don't iPhone apps notify the user before integrating themselves into the phone?

Do iOS apps work on a layer above the OS?

Or, are Apple users just left completely unaware?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Katsuki San

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
iOS/Windows phone apps process is a bit different, all apps would be reviewed by Apple/Microsoft before going to the market.

The apps are basically under controlled by Apple/Microsoft. It has its advantage but there are disadvantages as well.
Pros: Malware will have nearly no chance to go in market
Cons: (1) Apple/ Microsoft can reject your fantastic app if your app just happen to be competitive with their/their partners' apps (2) they cannot control how the developers will be making use of your data. (3) It takes more than 2 weeks

However, if they screw up, you'd bet all consumers will be affected because there is no way to check permissions at clients' end easily (they hide everything), so basically if you are a iOS/Windows phone user you have probably been giving info to a lot of apps without any awareness.