New Verizon plans compared to T-Mobile

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Just out of curiosity, I went to the T-Mobile site to check the prices. Verizon is always $15-$25 more than T-Mobile and that still stands on individual plans.

T-Mobile is offering 10 GB data, unlimited talk and text and hotspot for $125. Verizon is offering the same plan for $140.

T-Mobile is offering 5GB data, unlimited talk and text and hotspot for $95. Verizon has either 4 GB, unlimited talk and text and hotspot for $110 or 6GB, unlimited talk and text and hotspot for $120.

T-Mobile is offering a two-smartphone family plan with 5GB, unlimited talk and text and hotspot for $170. Verizon's package is $160 but with 6GB.

Seems no matter how anyone feels, it appears this is the direction the mobile industry is taking.

leroybrute

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I had to go to fed ex yesterday and TMobile was basically next door so I thought I would check them out. The rep there told me their unlimited data plan was 50.00.?

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I had to go to fed ex yesterday and TMobile was basically next door so I thought I would check them out. The rep there told me their unlimited data plan was 50.00.?

Don't see anything on its web site for $50 with the exception of a talk and text only.

leroybrute

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I have no intention to switch over to anyone for the near future so I didnt go into detail. I just asked if they had unlimited data. It is possible he didn't understand my question.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Prepaid plan, yes, it is $50 for talk text Web unlimited BUT throttled after 100mb(no that's not a typo) .

http://blog.t-mobile.com/2011/05/23/t-mobile-monthly4g-unlimited-talk-text-and-web-with-no-annual-contract/

VAVA Mk2

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
T Mobile does not have LTE. Verizon does and better coverage. Big difference is T Mobile is trying to target more price conscious consumers. Network and speeds not as good as VZW.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
say you have 5 lines of no contract smartphone with no data on the value plan at tmo, it is $65/mo for 5 lines. or $1560 over 2 years. let's say you want the galaxy nexus, it's $400 a piece no contract price, for 5 that's $2000. tmo cost then would be $3560 for 2 years.

now, say on verizon, you wanted the same, 5 lines at $40 per line is $200 a month, no data. over 2 years, that's $4800. verizon offers the gnex for $200 on contract, so 5 phones would be $1000. a 2 year total cost of $5800

ShadowCatcher

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
It?s really tough to compare not only between two providers and their different plans, but there are differences between a single carrier?s service (i.e. if you live in a 3G service area, should you have to pay for 4G?). Trying to compare X GBs on one carrier against the same X GBs on another carrier is almost impossible. As pointed out, T-Mo doesn?t have LTE, but Verizon does ? are the X GBs the same on both? Probably not. Same for unlimited data. You also have to factor in, what we in accounting, call intangibles ? those things that aren't necessarily physical or overtly mentioned in the cost of the product or service but still have an impact on perceived quality of service. Things such as reliability, availability, ease of use, etc. All are important, but can vary greatly from carrier to carrier. Each carrier has different goals, a different business model, a different target market, and so they have different costs to keep it all chugging forward.

Ultimately, the only way to make a good decision is identify the services and products that you want (be an informed consumer ? that?s why you are reading this and we are having this discussion) and then fit those needs to the carrier that can provide a product at a cost you want to pay.

Life is full of trade-offs and what works for one person may not work for someone else ? that doesn?t make either of them wrong. We are lucky to have enough choices that someone, somewhere offers a plan that, for each individual, may not be perfect but will be better than the rest.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
of course verizon provides better service...but we are talking about $65 (no contract) per month vs $200 per month.

Last edited:

MikeG7265

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
The main thing with T-Mobile is that you need to read the fine print, I may be totally wrong, but I believe that after 2 gigs they throttle you, back to 2g speeds.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The main thing with T-Mobile is that you need to read the fine print, I may be totally wrong, but I believe that after 2 gigs they throttle you, back to 2g speeds.

depends on the plan you get, T-mobile does have a 10gb unlimited plan - 10gb at 4g speeds, then lower speeds after that. there's no fine print to read, it's clearly stated in the plan you choose how much you get at 4G speeds per month.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC