Gotta say, disappointed in the Rezound tonight :-(

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I was talking to an iPhone guy (att). I was talking about loving the speed of my 4g. One thing led to another and we decided we needed to do some comparo testing.

According to my speedtest app I was downloading at well over 20mbps while his app showed just under 4mbps.

So we tried several websites as well as file downloads... In each case we could not see where the Rezound was noticeably faster. In a few cases the iPhone 4 actually was faster to load pages on websites.

I am really disappointed.

--------------------------------------------------
There is a clause in the contract which specifically states any systematized transmission indicating a possible intelligent origin must be investigated. --Ash

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I was talking to an iPhone guy (att). I was talking about loving the speed of my 4g. One thing led to another and we decided we needed to do some comparo testing.

According to my speedtest app I was downloading at well over 20mbps while his app showed just under 4mbps.

So we tried several websites as well as file downloads... In each case we could not see where the Rezound was noticeably faster. In a few cases the iPhone 4 actually was faster to load pages on websites.

I am really disappointed.

There is a clause in the contract which specifically states any systematized transmission indicating a possible intelligent origin must be investigated. --Ash

You do understand that the speed of your connection doesn't matter if the browser is slow at rendering, right? In most cases, LTE is total overkill when it comes to regular web pages.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Ry

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Stock browser...

That is why we also downloaded files.

IPhone on Verizon 3g is slow...

IPhone on att 3g seems to work as fast as android on 4g...

I just figured I'd walk all over the iPhone in downloading files...

Definitely surprised.

mikeytg1024

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Stock browser...

Definitely surprised.

If the server you were downloading from is limited to less than either of your connections then you will both get the same result. In other words, if your connection is 20MBPS, and his is 10MBPS, but the server you are downloading from can only deliver 5MBPS, you will both get 5 no matter how fast the individual connections.

The speed test apps also download files to test the speed, but their servers are high performance so you will get the true connection speed.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Stock browser...

Definitely surprised.

HSPA+ is as fast as LTE? Something seriously wrong there. The only thing is that the iPhone's browser is seriously optimized. HOWEVER if you're doing a rendering test, make sure that both phones are pulling the full/desktop site. Since people actually code for the iPhone(and most don't for Android), you're going to see a dramatic difference in the mobile versions. Also, you need to do that test over wifi to get a real idea of which browser renders faster.

Mobile testing has to be consistent, you both need to look at your signal and find a spot where you have relatively the same dbm(not bars). So really, don't get disappointed in the Rezound when it was really your testing that made it look bad lol.

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Yeah a few of the websites we tried, he got the mobile version so we knew those were a bust. Very hard to be able to say how much faster 4g is when you can't really show it. Know what I mean?

I know its faster, but out in the world, when his iPhone appears to do everything just as fast, how do you prove it?

Sure, the speedtest apps showed the speeds, but if the phones both browsed the same, its kind of hard to defend the power of 4g....

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
By the way, when I tried same tests against him with my phone locked down to 3g, and I was getting a little over 1.0mbps , he stomped me. LOL

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Off topic here, but have any of you understood my signature? Just curious....

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Yeah a few of the websites we tried, he got the mobile version so we knew those were a bust. Very hard to be able to say how much faster 4g is when you can't really show it. Know what I mean?

I know its faster, but out in the world, when his iPhone appears to do everything just as fast, how do you prove it?

Sure, the speedtest apps showed the speeds, but if the phones both browsed the same, its kind of hard to defend the power of 4g....

Don't show off. Enjoy what you have and let others live in their fantasy worlds.

By the way, when I tried same tests against him with my phone locked down to 3g, and I was getting a little over 1.0mbps , he stomped me. LOL

Verizon 3G is 1.5Mbps max

Is systematized a word? LOL

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Stock browser...

Definitely surprised.

Try iPhone mode and disable flash. That should put it on a level playing field. I am not sure if the stock app has iPhone mode, but dolphin browser does.

Last edited:

burwil

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Were you performing the tests from the same location? Pinging a tower using speed test is not the same as accessing a website through that tower.

Also note that the iphone does not try to render flash or javascript. A lot of website code is ignored. When I read a web rendered newspaper it takes longer on my Xoom than my iPad. Simply because the iPad doesn't DL near as much content.

Sent from my hooka via hash cloud.

Last edited:

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I know you say that jokingly but can't flash be done with a jailbroken iDevice?

I think there are different options now for Flash. But considering ICS is the last Android OS to support flash is it really that big of deal. When I had an iPhone I never missed Flash and after about a month with my Rezound I turned it off. Even on my desktop I have turned it off - only thing I seem to not miss is all the crazy adds that distract from sites.

Ed

burwil

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
For some of us it is very important. You can't do stock investment research on iOS. Since a vast number of charts and websites require flash. Go to finance.Yahoo.Com and try to call up an interactive stock chart. You get a message to DL flash. It's a big liability for anyone doing personal investment research. I would say it is anything but a superfluous frill when you're asking your device to help you capably plan your future.

Lactose The Intolerant

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site

"This is Ripley, last survivor of the Nostromo, signing off." :p

tarnak

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
For some of us it is very important. You can't do stock investment research on iOS. Since a vast number of charts and websites require flash. Go to finance.Yahoo.Com and try to call up an interactive stock chart. You get a message to DL flash. It's a big liability for anyone doing personal investment research. I would say it is anything but a superfluous frill when you're asking your device to help you capably plan your future.

The flash issue is a major deal when talking with Iphoners, like you mentioned, most sites use flash to operate and this will never change any time soon, it would be a major pain if support from smartphones ends. its one of the major reasons why i did not select an i phone, the lack if any usable file organization for pictures was the top reason for me.